: More UUC Flywheel Praise...

syd
01-27-08, 04:37 PM
So...I finally got my flywheel installed when my clutch TSB was being done. At first I could not feel a difference, but now I'm having to eat my words. It is definitely a mod that you have to live with for a little bit IMHO. Some people say the could notice in the first few feet. It took about a day or so for me to feel the difference, but there certainly is one. Here are some of my observations:

1) From a standing start, the car is A LOT more awake. right off of idle and through at least the first four gears, I hav had to readjust my driving style. If I apply the same ammount of throttle as I used with the stock flywheel, the car runs away from me.

2) Downshifting and matching revs is SIGNIFICANTLY easier. I hate to say that the car revs like a BMW now...but it revs like a BMW. Quickly and effortlessly. The engine is much more responsive to the throttle.

3) I can no longer lug around in 6th at low speeds. The Dual-Mass design of the old flywheel permitted that, but if I do that with this flywheel, the entire car and gearbox vibrate. Its good training though, lugging the engine is bad for it anyway :)

4) When shutting off the car, the engine stops more immediately than it did before. It used to feel pretty violent. Not so much anymore. The car also turns over more eagerly..."VRROOOOOooommm" like I have given it gas.

5) Highway passing is even faster. Might be my imagination, but going from 6 to 4 or 3, is licket-split now. The reduction in mass seems to make it easier for the engine to change speeds more readily.

6) Coasting isn't much of issue. It's still a 3800lb. car so it coasts a long way when I'm not gassing it. Starting off when driving normally isn't really an issue either. Its still docile like a *****cat in traffic (who under 80y.o. even uses the phrase *****cat anymore*chuckle*). It;s at least as docile as it was stock.

That's all I can think of now. I hope this makes it easy for anyone that is on the fence to make the jump. It was expensive for me, but I think I'm pretty glad I did it *chuckle*

Now on to some more useful mods like this. A tune, and MAYBE some headers. N/A is so hard to get power out of :(

-Syd

tweeter81
01-27-08, 05:45 PM
This is one of those mods I have been on the fence about, mostly because I definitely don't want to spend too much on a new clutch/fw/pp but based on your (indepth) observations I might pull the trigger in a few months.

If you don't mind the questions:

1) Did you just use a stock clutch with the setup?

2) Did the UUC Flywheel come with the pressure plate as well?

2) How much did this setup cost you?

I think this mod sounds like a great idea, but I just need some more peace of mind before committing.

Thanks in advance.

rand49er
01-27-08, 05:55 PM
... I hate to say that the car revs like a BMW now...but it revs like a BMW. ... N/A is so hard to get power out of :( ...I MAY forgive you for that comment. (j/k) And, FI seems like cheating, but it works for me. :D

You're making me want my UUC FW installed ... it's sitting in the garage. I am not at all looking forward to removing a header to get it done, though. Syd, your comment about matching a gear with revs makes it all the more tantalizing ... I just gotta do this, too. :highfive: Don't like not being able to run at very low RPM in 6th gear ... I frequently do this, but only when I'm maintaining a steady 35-40 MPH and not accelerating.

Speaking of lugging, years ago as a young engineer, I tested a lot of Ford V8's on engine dynos ... fishhooks, mostly. We'd run a lot of 351W, 351C, and 460 motors at 800 RPM @ WOT and MBT for up to 20 or more minutes at a time (enough to stabilize temps and take emissions and other data). Talk about lugging! :yup:

syd
01-27-08, 06:14 PM
So...
I didn't hae to pay to have it installed because I was having my clutch replaced under warranty. That is the only reason I did it right now as opposed to later...the labor is like 600-900 bucks from what I understand if I were to do it at a different time. So..answers to your questions:

1) Stock, off the shelf, General Motors/Cadillac Clutch Package.
2) Pressure plate comes with the clutch kit I believe. It was the flywheel only.
3) The flywheel cost me about $430.00 dollars from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. He's GREAT!

Like I said, it was a lot of money for me, but the car feels like it has had power freed up. Its hard to explain. Its just more...free. The way it revs and the heel and toe shifting in particular is very appealing. Before to graba nother cog and dowshift at highway speeds, I'd have to bury my foot very deliberately to get the tach up there enough to match revs. Now...its just a simple brush of the gas pedal.

The only real draw back for me is not being able to lug around town in 6th. I used to like to do that. Maybe my next car can be an STS-V since sometimes I get tired of shifting *chuckle*

Randy49er...sorry about the BMW comment. *chuckle* I almost described it as a Rotary Engine like responsivenes but NOTHING can match those. Not even close.

peter simov
04-01-08, 11:39 PM
if u get a uuc do u need to get a new cluch i only got 7000mi can i use the old one or bad idea.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-02-08, 08:42 AM
if u get a uuc do u need to get a new cluch i only got 7000mi can i use the old one or bad idea.

you an definately use your exsisting clutch, no reason to replace it

rangerrob
04-02-08, 10:27 AM
So...
I didn't hae to pay to have it installed because I was having my clutch replaced under warranty. That is the only reason I did it right now as opposed to later...the labor is like 600-900 bucks from what I understand if I were to do it at a different time. So..answers to your questions:

1) Stock, off the shelf, General Motors/Cadillac Clutch Package.
2) Pressure plate comes with the clutch kit I believe. It was the flywheel only.
3) The flywheel cost me about $430.00 dollars from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. He's GREAT!

Like I said, it was a lot of money for me, but the car feels like it has had power freed up. Its hard to explain. Its just more...free. The way it revs and the heel and toe shifting in particular is very appealing. Before to graba nother cog and dowshift at highway speeds, I'd have to bury my foot very deliberately to get the tach up there enough to match revs. Now...its just a simple brush of the gas pedal.

The only real draw back for me is not being able to lug around town in 6th. I used to like to do that. Maybe my next car can be an STS-V since sometimes I get tired of shifting *chuckle*

Randy49er...sorry about the BMW comment. *chuckle* I almost described it as a Rotary Engine like responsivenes but NOTHING can match those. Not even close.

What dealership replaced your clutch under warranty? I asked about it at a local dealership i usually have stuff done at since it's close and they said clutch and brakes are not covered under warranty, i would definitley consider that if i was able to get an entirely new clutch at the same time, what TSB was it under?If I take that in will they have to honor it? let me know, very interested. thanks!

dqw1
04-02-08, 12:55 PM
What dealership replaced your clutch under warranty? I asked about it at a local dealership i usually have stuff done at since it's close and they said clutch and brakes are not covered under warranty, i would definitley consider that if i was able to get an entirely new clutch at the same time, what TSB was it under?If I take that in will they have to honor it? let me know, very interested. thanks!
I was told the same thing, the clutch was a wear and tear item and not covered.

AlmostAV
04-02-08, 02:00 PM
it was probably for the tsb for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor.

CTSV_Rob
04-02-08, 05:34 PM
I have the UUC in mine and I re-used the clutch/pressure plate. I have about 13K on it now. The flywheel makes a huge difference on the stock setup, you FI guy's should really see the difference!

If you're thinking about pumping up the motor you may want to consider other options. for stock and slightly modified the UUC will work fine (Headers/Heads/Cam). For the rest of you that plus FI I would consider a different setup. Currently the only clutch that fits is the stock one and it's not good for anything above 500 FWHP I have heard. I could be wrong on this one but if are about to make the plunge I would investigate first (This means you Rand).

With all of this said I love the Flywheel and I could not imagine going back. You shave +30 pounds of rolling mass!

rangerrob
04-02-08, 05:42 PM
...If you're thinking about pumping up the motor you may want to consider other options. for stock and slightly modified the UUC will work fine (Headers/Heads/Cam). For the rest of you that plus FI I would consider a different setup. Currently the only clutch that fits is the stock one and it's not good for anything above 500 FWHP I have heard. I could be wrong on this one but if are about to make the plunge I would investigate first (This means you Rand).

With all of this said I love the Flywheel and I could not imagine going back. You shave +30 pounds of rolling mass!

What other options are out there? Especially if someone is looking towards a maggie in the future?

CTSV_Rob
04-02-08, 06:58 PM
I am currently looking.

Look in this link for more info...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/126874-aftermarket-clutch-question.html

But the one's I am aware of (I kight have spelled them wrong so help form others on this one would be appriciated!)
- Spec3+ (Chef WAS running this one and this can be used with the UUC according to lunarx))
- Z06 or Z07 Flywheel/clutch (Spacer required for slave cylinder)
- Lunarx is working with a new dual mass that sounds promising (he is pushing 500 RWHP NA)
- Textralia (I think stkshkr is a big fan of this one)
http://www.textralia.com.au/testimonials.cfm