: Thermagasket Does It Work???

99 eldog
01-27-08, 02:22 PM
Please let me know of your experience with THERMAGASKET or any other sealants. Thanks

Submariner409
01-27-08, 03:42 PM
If you're trying to remedy what you think is a blown head gasket, according to my engine building experience and 2 years of similar posts in here, you're SOL.

The GM recommended Bar's tablets or #12 powder are for assembly nuisance drips and block porosity sealing. Not gasket repair.

Ranger
01-27-08, 04:43 PM
Mechanic in a bottle will not fix a bad head gasket. Do a search and read Rfishings lengthy post.

99 eldog
02-06-08, 01:09 AM
Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now

dkozloski
02-06-08, 01:28 AM
Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now
How much do you want to bet that it'll last?

Ranger
02-06-08, 03:08 PM
I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

AlBundy
02-06-08, 08:45 PM
All statements are true so now since you have some time on your hands(no car to fix) it will help you to do as Ranger instructed on reading Rfishings lengthy post. It might help you incase of future issues.:thumbsup:

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-08, 12:05 PM
itll work for maybe a weak
snake oil only clogs a lifted head for so long before it does more damage to the rest of the cooling system then you bargained for...

MindyMaucelli
11-13-10, 03:24 AM
It WORKS like a charm!!!!

Please let me know of your experience with THERMAGASKET or any other sealants. Thanks

MindyMaucelli
11-13-10, 03:28 AM
I used it on September 23, 2010 and have driven thousands of miles already and not one time has it overheated on me. I was also skeptical, and so was my mechanic.. He actually LAUGHED at me.. Well, guess what... He just used it on a customers truck and was completely impressed. Especially after he and his employee's all laughed because I was going to use it. AWESOME PRODUCT!

And even if it only is a temporary fix, it sure has lasted quite a while, and if it happens again.. I will use the other half that I got.. BUY IT!

Email me if you have any questions. I am located in Kansas City..
My email is my username at gmail

I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

Ranger
11-13-10, 11:25 AM
Give it some time. You've only used it for a month and a half. That stuff cannot fix pulled threads. Glad it is buying you some time, but it IS temporary. Please keep us updated even if/when it fails. It will be interesting to know how long it lasts.

RippyPartsDept
11-13-10, 11:45 AM
This always seems to happen w/ thermagasket... they come back immediately (or in a month or two) and say 'it worked!' then don't ever come back to say 'it's still working 9 months later!' (because they either sold the car or got it fixed and are ashamed to report back that we were right)

drewsdeville
11-13-10, 12:29 PM
You know, I'm just gonna add to this phenomenon as well.

I don't believe in this crap any more than most of you. I mean, how can some liquid in a bottle fill a leak and retain 200psi compression? Not very logical.

Anyway, earlier this summer (July) my girlfriends brother's 160k mile 1998 Ford F150 4.6 was diagnosed with a bad headgasket. Typical frequent unexplained coolant loss, running warm. The mechanic gave him his options, including physically repairing the headgasket or trying Thermaseal, which the mechanic told him may or may not buy him time but customers have had success in the past.

Since he really doesn't care about the truck and doesn't find it to be worth shelling out the money for the HG replacement (she's getting rusty/OHC engine so labor is higher), he gave the Thermaseal a shot.

Lo and behold, similar to the claims in this thread, it worked. It's his DD transportation to work and hunting vehicle on the weekends. It's still chugging along just fine. When (not if) it fails again, he'll deal with it then. But for now, he's pretty happy with what he got out of it.

:shrug: I can't explain it. It still really doesn't make sense to me but you can't argue results. The stuff actually does well for what it is.

RippyPartsDept
11-13-10, 12:42 PM
it does 'work' for other cars but for N*s with head bolts pulling there is no amount of magic potion that will fix the problem

Ranger
11-13-10, 09:42 PM
I don't believe in this crap any more than most of you. I mean, how can some liquid in a bottle fill a leak and retain 200psi compression? Not very logical.

Here is the theory behind it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

Why pay Thermosgasket $300 for it?
http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Silicate-Solution-500ml-P6375C670.aspx

OR you can buy it at the pharmacy.

Submariner409
11-14-10, 08:03 AM
There you go, again. You are NOT supposed to explain black magic and wizardry.

.........the stuff is dirt cheap at Walgreen - we use it to seal woven silicate insulation tape on dry marine exhaust pipe.

MindyMaucelli
02-06-13, 03:39 PM
I used it on September 23, 2010 and have driven thousands of miles already and not one time has it overheated on me. I was also skeptical, and so was my mechanic.. He actually LAUGHED at me.. Well, guess what... He just used it on a customers truck and was completely impressed. Especially after he and his employee's all laughed because I was going to use it. AWESOME PRODUCT!

And even if it only is a temporary fix, it sure has lasted quite a while, and if it happens again.. I will use the other half that I got.. BUY IT!

Email me if you have any questions. I am located in Kansas City..
My email is my username at gmail

Please stop emailing me. Here is my update-------> Thermagasket worked for ONE YEAR almost to the day, then it stopped working and head gasket breached again. My car is now JUNK. I have it listed for $1,000. and am willing to part it out. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANYMORE EMAILS, they will only get deleted.

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 04:10 PM
$1000 is too much to ask for a northstar with blown head gaskets unless it's really low miles and perfect condition
$500 is better but you'd probably get that much taking it to a scrap yard

----------

especially with all that junk in the cooling system those parts will also have to be replaced (probably)

Submariner409
02-06-13, 06:39 PM
There is no chemical on earth that will remove sodium silicate once it reacts and sets hard. The entire engine (block, cylinder heads, any part of the cooling system) is now unrepairable and is pure junk.

That's why the stuff was used in the "Cash for Clunkers" program - once in an engine for 1 day or 1 year - whether the crankcase or cooling system - the engine is trash.

daveyhouse
02-06-13, 07:29 PM
At least Mindy reported back with length of time it lasted. Guess got lucky lasting that long huh?

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 07:45 PM
head bolts can take a long time to pull out
i've heard of someone lasting over a year from when they found exhaust gases in the coolant until it was not drive-able

Ranger
02-06-13, 09:30 PM
Please stop emailing me. Here is my update-------> Thermagasket worked for ONE YEAR almost to the day, then it stopped working and head gasket breached again. My car is now JUNK. I have it listed for $1,000. and am willing to part it out. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANYMORE EMAILS, they will only get deleted.
If you don't want to get email, don't post your email address and asked to be emailed "if you have any questions".

scott f
02-08-13, 12:22 PM
If you don't want to get email, don't post your email address and asked to be emailed "if you have any questions". @ Mindy, Jeesh, What a sorehead!:tisk:

Submariner409
02-08-13, 07:12 PM
@ Mindy, Jeesh, What a sorehead!:tisk:

^^^ Probably not true. I would guess that she found out the hard way that you NEVER post personal contact information in a public forum. There is a lot of low-life scum on the Internet.

YOU post YOUR e-mail address and ask for feedback. Hang on to your sanity and address list.

Ranger
02-08-13, 08:46 PM
YOU post YOUR e-mail address and ask for feedback.
Remember the old adage, Be careful what you ask for ....................