: Damage before title

malcolm
01-26-08, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know if CarFax would indicate if a car was damaged in transit from factory to dealer or at the dealer before it is titled?

caddycruiser
01-27-08, 12:53 AM
No, I don't think so. Well, it MIGHT, but more often than not, accidents light and heavy way after the fact never get on the reports, so I don't bet on it.

They usually start off with when the vehicle arrives at the dealer and/or is registered then to the first owner.

Is there a particular new car purchase you're thinking of...or for someone else, that could involve this sort of issue?

malcolm
01-27-08, 01:24 PM
I've been suffering with noise on the right side of my 08 CTS, uncharacteristic for this car. The white diamond paint seems a bit off and was wondering if something happened between factory and dealer. My sson works for Saturn upstate and recently while plowing the lot the plow took out the whole side of a brand new car. Looking for a reason for this car to be so noisey.

Playdrv4me
01-28-08, 10:03 PM
The answers to your questions are no it won't show up, and YES it happens alot more than you would think.

It's funny you bring this up because just the other night I was inside the mall looking at a Mazda CX-9 and doing my usual finger-rub paint inspection just out of habit, and I noticed a frieken rough edge on the upper part of the driver's side fender and I was like WTF? Being sure I was going crazy I went and felt the other side and it was perfectly smooth.

The color match, at least in the mall lighting looked fine, but that fender was DEFINITELY resprayed, and the next customer will probably never have a clue. Not to mention most customers dont bother to run carfaxes on new cars anyway, even if it were there.

Don't go just on the match of the paint, GM is notorious for screwing that up. Feel the fender edges and especially the wheel well part of the fender edge (after you clean it of course, since it will be grimy), then feel the other side, if it doesn't feel right, then you know something happened. Worst case of course BOTH sides would be redone, but thats unlikely.

I was going to say that this kind of damage is alot more likely on foreign cars since they are touched by alot of hands and machines before they get here, but I guess your son proved me wrong on that one.

malcolm
01-29-08, 03:20 PM
I'm a pretty good paint detective, in my younger days did quite a bit of custom paint in the days of lacquer and pride myself in detecting repaints. Trouble is the art and science of paint has really come a long way and a well done repaint is pert near flawless for the most part. It's the pearl that seems a bit off. To me is looks like it needed at least one more coat of color, it looks like the base is showing thgough. The only way I can describe it is like a very cloudy day where the sky is totally cloud covered but slight hints of blue barely visible but in this case it's black showing. It's only on the doors that I see it.

Playdrv4me
01-29-08, 03:46 PM
Yea but regardless unless someone literally took the door off and sent it back to the robot to be sprayed, you will have semi-roughness on the leading door edges somewhere if it has been afterpainted. BMW body shops do a fantastic job and use the best paint in the world which is Glasurit, but you still will have a rough edge on a body-on repaint.

Id be willing to bet your car is probably fine if one side mimicks the other. Fine as in probably not damaged, but obviously not fine as far as the way it got painted. In your eyes anyhow.