CadillacSTS42005
01-26-08, 12:37 PM
omfg
dude
S E A R C H
nothing will seal a LIFTED head

dkozloski
01-26-08, 12:37 PM
The sealants don't work for more than a short while. $5000 for a repair is a bit high. There are quite a few forum members that have repaired the cars themselves. There is sufficient information right here on the forum for an advanced amateur to do the job. Good luck!

zonie77
01-26-08, 01:37 PM
Seal in a can is a waste of time and money.

There are shops that have done them and will do a good job for less. Please list a general location so someone can give a referral if there happens to be one.

JC316
01-26-08, 02:06 PM
Sealant won't help you, especially if the threads pulled loose.

flyinlow
01-26-08, 05:52 PM
You can put a bunch of sealer in it , then you will will get to replace the heater core and possibly radiator at the same time as the head gaskets and inserts.

Sorry for the sarcasm but sealer wont help

99 eldog
01-27-08, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help. The dealership quoted me $5900
Anybody know of any machanics in the detroit area?

99 eldog
01-27-08, 02:17 PM
this is my first cadi i am not very much of a mechanic. And i hear that you can run into all kinds of difficulty
with this repair. head bolts pulled and so forth.

Submariner409
01-27-08, 03:56 PM
Take a look at www.rhinoengines.com (http://www.rhinoengines.com) and click on "specials-specials" in the left menu.

Check with your local shop and do some homework to find out if a 2000 engine will fit your 99. Someone will chime in here....you may get lucky.

ss6r
01-29-08, 01:58 AM
Eldog I am from Detroit and I am timeserting(Head bolt repair) my 98 STS engine as we speak. I am not a professinonal mechanic but have some experience wrenching. Your quote for the repair is much better than I got, i was quoted $7500 from Don Gooley Cadillac/detroit. This is my second engine, and the first attempt at timeserting a block. Honestly so far not a difficult job, but very time consuming. As for mechanics, I found one mechanic from Jeffrey Buick in detroit that would do it for $3500. All others said they were not interested. I did find a 100,000 mile northstar for $400, the guy sells cadillac parts and it was one of three and he wanted to unload it to make more room. I passed on it 2 weeks ago, because I didn't want to put the engine in and have the same problem again. That engine might still be available I believe it was from a 98.Timeserting the block with new head bolts/gaskets and the newest torque settings from what I have heard seems to fix the weak link for a hige mileage northstar.

The best deal I found for a remanufactured engine was ACCURATE ENGINES in Grandville, Michigan. $3495 for a 4.6 CADILLAC NORTHSTAR ENGINE w/ a 3 year unlimited mileage nationwide warranty. Here is a link to there northstar page http://www.ae-engines.com/cadillac46northstar.html or main page is http://www.ae-engines.com. Hopefully some of this info helps ease the pain.

99 eldog
01-30-08, 12:46 AM
Thanks for you guy's help!

codewize
02-05-08, 08:58 AM
That sounds high to me too. I've heard numbers more like $3500 to do HG job. No?

99 eldog
02-06-08, 01:05 AM
Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now

99 eldog
02-06-08, 01:13 AM
Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now

dkozloski
02-06-08, 09:54 AM
Good luck! One guy got it to last around a thousand miles before it let go.

Ur7x
02-07-08, 11:55 PM
Good luck! One guy got it to last around a thousand miles before it let go.

Yes that's true, and then he complicated his repairs (and expense) with a clogged heater core, clogged rad and other issues... It too late now for 99... But for others, read some of long threads on this stuff... Don't use it! You will regret it!

silvawolfe
02-08-08, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the help. The dealership quoted me $5900
Anybody know of any machanics in the detroit area?

I know I'm not very close to Detroit, but I am located in Fort Wayne IN and can do the job for $1000 plus parts. I have a local tow company the can haul for approx. $400 then it could be driven back.
$1000 labor includes installing the thread inserts, the body pull, the gasket repair, and the gasket replacement. I have a timesert kit as well as a ns300l kit so you would only have to pay for the inserts. From the time I see the car to the time you get it back would be about a week as long as no other parts are needed. I work on these all the time and now have a 00 DTS as a daily driver so I am somewhat seasoned to the repair.

tateos
02-08-08, 02:16 PM
That is a deal - I would not have tackled it if someone who knew what they were doing would have done it for $1,000 labor!

Ur7x
02-11-08, 01:21 PM
That is a deal - I would not have tackled it if someone who knew what they were doing would have done it for $1,000 labor!

Thats more then a deal... Thats a steal! $1000 is a fair price JUST to re&re the engine cradle. Then you are looking at about $1500 for the labor to do the timesert, at least $500 for the gaskets, parts and timeserts and then a $100 A/C recharge. Anything less then $3500 is a good price for this work.

Destroyer
02-12-08, 08:42 PM
Good time to trade the car in. I personally would not sell it privately but I'd gladly let a dealer have it and deal with it. Food for thought.

Rafterd
02-12-08, 08:52 PM
I know I'm not very close to Detroit, but I am located in Fort Wayne IN and can do the job for $1000 plus parts. I have a local tow company the can haul for approx. $400 then it could be driven back.
$1000 labor includes installing the thread inserts, the body pull, the gasket repair, and the gasket replacement. I have a timesert kit as well as a ns300l kit so you would only have to pay for the inserts. From the time I see the car to the time you get it back would be about a week as long as no other parts are needed. I work on these all the time and now have a 00 DTS as a daily driver so I am somewhat seasoned to the repair.

Wish you were close to Texas I'd bring you mine tonight.

Bill

Ur7x
02-15-08, 05:52 PM
Ya if mine goes I'm driving to Indiana

jevanof
02-29-08, 11:51 PM
How do I get a hold of this guy in Indiana, In Michigan, 2.5 hours from Ft Wayne, I am very interested.

BigJon
03-01-08, 12:00 AM
wish i would of known this.... before i had my uncle do mine

clarkz71
03-01-08, 03:01 PM
Good time to trade the car in. I personally would not sell it privately but I'd gladly let a dealer have it and deal with it. Food for thought.

Any time is a good time to trade in a Ford.:stirpot:

jevanof
03-01-08, 07:36 PM
BigJon, when did you have your uncle do yours, did you use timeserts? is everything good now?

Destroyer
03-02-08, 08:24 PM
Any time is a good time to trade in a Ford.:stirpot:Yeah ok sure, as long as it aint a Northstar Caddy!..:bonkers: