: Uhh...guys...where are my mufflers?

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 12:12 PM
Please don't dump on me if I'm being an idiot - I don't know much about exhaust systems. I got this car 2 weeks ago and when I was looking under the car when I noticed a leak:

I also noticed that I could not find any mufflers! Looking at all the stock photos of V's made me realize that this doesn't appear to be the stock system. I don't know of any V's nearby Exton, PA that I could compare to. The tips on my car measure 3.5":

I haven't talked to the dealer that I got it from yet because I just noticed this today. They didn't tell me anything about a replaced exhaust system. Here are photos of the rear end.

Can anyone tell me what I have going on here? (other than needing a car wash)

Big Bad V
01-26-08, 12:20 PM
You have a custom exhaust with No mufflers. Looks like they cut the rear pipes and clamped on the new ones sans mufflers.

Twitch
01-26-08, 12:28 PM
How does it sound?
Make sure the dealer knows, so they dont bitch about warranty work.
You might be able to get them to give you a new one.

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 12:31 PM
It sounds phenomenal - but I don't have much to really compare it to. I came from an 1991 integra.

Twitch
01-26-08, 12:54 PM
If you like it, leave it alone. Just let the dealer know.
If you ever wanna do exhaust work, just go for headers. You'll get more power, and only pay a lil more than you would for a cat-back.
Good luck

urbanski
01-26-08, 01:00 PM
sad leaky diff :(

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 01:00 PM
I definitely like it, my only concern is will a car with no mufflers pass inspection in PA?

DILLIGAF
01-26-08, 01:57 PM
If you don't get that leak fixed,the mufflers will be the least of your problems

ctsv154
01-26-08, 02:31 PM
WOW! I thought my diff leaked! You might want to get that fixed!

CadillacSTS42005
01-26-08, 02:47 PM
that car
will NOT pass inspection or emission tests
fyi

CTSV_Rob
01-26-08, 03:00 PM
Looks like that right tip is a bit close to the bumper cover also. If you decide to keep the exhaust you should probably take to a shop to get it straightened out.

OldRoadDawg
01-26-08, 04:03 PM
Sorry, but that's one ugly exhaust system. Probably won't pass PA inspection and... it appears that good old PA road salt is already going to work on it.

You should drive the 15 miles or so up to Phoenix Performance and buy that Zoomers exhaust system that cobrayankee is selling.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3473&sort=1&cat=23&page=1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3386&sort=1&cat=23&page=2

(I'm such a shill)

lunarx
01-26-08, 04:20 PM
Sorry, but that's one ugly exhaust system. Probably won't pass PA inspection and... it appears that good old PA road salt is already going to work on it.

You should drive the 15 miles or so up to Phoenix Performance and buy that Zoomers exhaust system that cobrayankee is selling.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3473&sort=1&cat=23&page=1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3386&sort=1&cat=23&page=2

(I'm such a shill)
Word! :yup:

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 04:40 PM
When I take this in to get the diff leak fixed are they going to void my warranty because of this exhaust? I will be taking it back to the dealer I got it from 2 weeks ago to have them fix the exhaust.

BowenCT
01-26-08, 04:41 PM
Can a dealership legally sell a car that won't pass inspection/emissions in the same state?

lunarx
01-26-08, 04:52 PM
When I take this in to get the diff leak fixed are they going to void my warranty because of this exhaust? I will be taking it back to the dealer I got it from 2 weeks ago to have them fix the exhaust.
I think you will be fine since there is a recall on the Rear Diff Seals.
It's not like your leak problem was related to the extra HP you got from the muffler delete.

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 04:57 PM
I think the GM dealer that I got it from has to fix the exhaust if it won't pass an inspection. I'll find out on Monday. But they're not a Cadillac dealership, so I don't think they can/should be the ones to fix the differential also. Obviously the leak is the more important issue at the moment, but I don't want to take it to the Cad dealer to get the leak fixed if they're going to deny a warranty claim b/c of the exhaust. We'll see, wish me luck.

MauiV
01-26-08, 09:50 PM
Tag it in another state.

Emissions tests are EVIL!!!!!

CTSV_Rob
01-26-08, 09:56 PM
There are always work arounds :D

Venomous-V
01-26-08, 09:57 PM
I'v got a Magnaflow catback with 1000 miles on it for sale if your lookin! Let me know.

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 10:07 PM
Venomous-V : How much for the magnaflow? I spoke to the dealer that I bought the car from and they are going to either have to fix my exhaust or compensate me for it. I'd rather get the magnaflow, but I'll have to see what I can work out with them on Monday.

Venomous-V
01-26-08, 10:27 PM
Hows $700 sound?

CTSV_510
01-26-08, 10:48 PM
That sounds pretty good. Let me find out what I can get out of the dealer I purchased from. They already owe me a spare wheel and tire that they can't seem to find. After I go at them with the issues I'm having, especially the missing mufflers, they'll probably write me a check to never have to see me again. I'll get back to you next week.

By the way i saw your pictures in the detroit thread - nice!

randycsvt
01-27-08, 12:38 AM
FYI: you can get a new magnaflow shipped to you for a little over $500.

Search the forum, someone recently posted a coupon code to an online vendor that sells them cheap.

BowenCT
01-27-08, 12:44 AM
$700 for a used Magnaflow!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Dude, that's f*ing highway robbery................

lunarx
01-27-08, 04:10 AM
Chill. :tisk:
The guy could have easily paid $1000 for it if he purchased retail or from a dealer.
I'm sure he thought he was offering a deal.

urbanski
01-27-08, 08:27 AM
a deal for himself maybe :p

BowenCT
01-27-08, 08:37 AM
Hey lunarx, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for ya......

Venomous-V
01-27-08, 10:50 AM
Yes, i payed about $900 for the Magnaflow, so i was basing the price off of Ebay. Cheapest i saw was $725 and mines new so i thought it was a good place to start.. I wasn't tryin to rob, just tryin to get some money back from my mods like the rest of us.

CTSV_510
01-27-08, 11:27 AM
With the coupon code LS12GTO on hottexhaust.com they will ship for $625.59.

CTSV_510
01-27-08, 11:42 AM
Venomous do you have the magnaflow catback on either of your V's right now? I'm curious to know why you're getting rid of it and also if it is still installed, I'd like to hear it in person if you have time someday.

Venomous-V
01-27-08, 12:45 PM
I still have it on the car which is not tagged for the roads. Its at my place in Chadds Ford. Car is goin back to stock before sale. It's basically brand new! How bout $600? Come on by and you can check out both my cars and see some mods! I'm free today if you are. call my cell or email badillacv@yahoo.com 610-500-1149

CTSV_510
01-27-08, 03:05 PM
I'm afraid to do too much driving before tomorrow when I bring it in to get the diff leak fixed - it's leaking enough that I'm not comfortable driving much more than straight to General Sales. I'll drop you a line after I get that fixed.

2004ctsv
01-27-08, 06:37 PM
It's hard to believe that a legitimate car dealer sold that car without letting you know that it would not be street legal in PA.

CTSV_510
01-27-08, 09:11 PM
No kidding. I'll see what they say tomorrow. I believe the salesman when he says that he didn't know (he didn't even know what run flat tires were), but I am sure that the used car manager knew. They'll have to either fix it....or pay me...

Venomous-V
01-27-08, 10:50 PM
where did you buy it? And dont worr bout the rear, they all leak and we all drive em. Is your rear whineing or just leakin? If its just leakin they will replace the seal, if its makin noise, they may replace it. In my case when it was leakin, iwaited till it made noise and got the upgraded 06' installed under warrant.

Anway, i work off the Boot Road exit at Done Direct Motors if ou want to meet up tomorrow. let me know. oh and if you take it to the dealer, tell them to check your motor mounts and bushings while they are in there.

CTSV_510
01-27-08, 11:38 PM
Its just leaking right now, no whining yet. Oh yeah, I know of Done Direct, thats real close to me right off phoenixville pike. I'll make sure they check on eveything - i've got a list for em.

ewill3rd
01-28-08, 08:30 AM
That looks like a vent leak, didn't you post that somewhere else only closer up?
Vent leaks are not that bad, but it could be an axle seal leak... can't tell from that photo.

That exhaust might pass in VA. If it has high flow cats they are supposed to be engraved with a number sequence for EPA identification.
In VA I can't fail it for no mufflers, but it is against state law to have a car without them. Weird huh?
Also in VA any aftermarket cats have to be marked as per EPA regulations, but as long as the MIL is not on and I can see a converter it will probably pass an OBD test. (for emissions)

Not sure what the rules are up in PA.

CTSV_510
01-28-08, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I posted that on the "rear diff leak" thread too. I have an appointment at my local dealer on wednesday for them to take care of that and a bunch of other little things. I gave them the info that you gave me under the other thread to help them find a fix the right problem. They said they've seen it before and they should be able to fix it without any issues.

I spoke to my local shop and they said that it will fail in PA without any mufflers (and they have let me slide on a few things before).

CTSV_510
01-28-08, 12:47 PM
Update again...I spoke to the Used Car manager at the dealer I purchased from (he had the car as a demo before I bought it). He said that their dealership passed it for emissions/inspection in August with the "aftermarket exhaust" on it, the same way it came in. We'll see what the Cad dealer says on wednesday - if they'll pass it too then I guess its fine. Venomous-V - I still want to hook up today sometime to compare my sound to the Magnaflow and maybe upgrade from ghetto to a real exhaust system...

Venomous-V
01-28-08, 02:57 PM
Sounds good to me. Like i said earlier though, my DD is corsa. my other car has the Magnaflow which is at my place in Chadds Ford. Let me know what you want to do. I'm done work between 4-5

CTSV_510
01-30-08, 04:50 PM
Update - the dealer checked the emissions on my missing mufflers and it passed OK. I still think the magnaflow sounds better though...

By the way, Venomous-V, your DD is sick.

Venomous-V
01-30-08, 05:10 PM
HAHA! Thanks man. We'll have to go for a ride next time..hit me up if your ever out and about.

CTSV_510
06-01-09, 11:20 PM
If you like it, leave it alone. Just let the dealer know.
If you ever wanna do exhaust work, just go for headers. You'll get more power, and only pay a lil more than you would for a cat-back.
Good luck

why didn't you ever take your own advice?

:duck:

(sorry, very bored...)

thebigjimsho
06-02-09, 02:12 AM
Please let it be noted that I did NOT bump this thread...

CadzillaTN
06-02-09, 12:15 PM
well since bigjim bumped it...did 510 keep the ghetto pipes or add proprietary cans?...and did he pass inspection?

SoJersey05V
06-02-09, 01:03 PM
DAMN TOM!!!!!! got your v with no muffs!?!?!? lol yea he has magnaflow and kooks on her now...

CTSV_510
06-02-09, 01:08 PM
well since bigjim bumped it...did 510 keep the ghetto pipes or add proprietary cans?...and did he pass inspection?

DAMN TOM!!!!!! got your v with no muffs!?!?!? lol yea he has magnaflow and kooks on her now...

:yeah:

By the time my inspection was due, I had replaced it with a magnaflow anyway. Two weeks after inspection I had the kooks and cats installed, and it was all downhill from there.... :D

814V
06-02-09, 02:34 PM
hmm..

The Tony Show
06-02-09, 03:32 PM
I came from an 1991 integra.

:nono:

3rdgenfan
06-02-09, 03:47 PM
:nono:

Hey, I went from a 1986 VW GTI to my 04 GTO... :hide:

Then again, I also had an 88 IROC, and 91 Formula 350 at the same time....

thebigjimsho
06-03-09, 12:55 AM
you're gonna get me banned again, dipstick...