: My Engine Is Smoking Helpp

loloterp
01-26-08, 10:57 AM
My 2000 catera has been smoking thru the engine and sometimes it comes thru the vents and into my car.. When i start driving it, thats when it starts to smoke thru boths sides of the engine. I live in DC, so does anyone know a gooood and if possible cheap mechanic i can take car too. I took it to a local one and they say i put too much oil in the car, therefore its leaking.. i took a look at the engine and it looks like the pipes are burnt or something. The mechanic didnt know what to tell me? Can anyone help me please? Im afraid the car might blow up while im driving or something. :banghead:

elvin315
01-26-08, 11:31 AM
The Cam Covers are leaking and dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold heatshields resulting in smoke. If the crankcase breather is clogged air pressure builds, flexing the plastic covers and relieving that build-up. As it does it sprays oil. Replace the gaskets and clean the crankcase breather system. The directions on the Omega Owners Forum will take you through the procedure step by step.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152598350
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192573982

Elvin

rinverso
01-26-08, 07:50 PM
what color is it, what does it smell like, does it do it as soon as you start the car or after it warms up. does any come out of the exhaust. did you change or add oil recently?????
robert:suspense:

loloterp
01-26-08, 09:21 PM
thanks elvin. it smells like smoke or gas. i cant really tell what it smells like. but it smokes after it warms up and while i am driving. the color is white. then it stops smoking after a while when i turn it off. yes i got an oil change but it was smoking i changed it and after the oil change.

loloterp
01-26-08, 09:35 PM
elvin, i looked thru the attachments about the engine, but im jus a young girl..i cant do all those. things.do you know anyone who can help me do it at a reasonable price? PLEASSE.. i dont wanna burn my engine out..in the mean time.. ive been the stop oil leak thingie they have auto zone. it stop leaking for a few days, then it came right back.

elvin315
01-28-08, 04:14 PM
elvin, i looked thru the attachments about the engine, but im jus a young girl..i cant do all those. things.do you know anyone who can help me do it at a reasonable price? PLEASSE.. i dont wanna burn my engine out..in the mean time.. ive been the stop oil leak thingie they have auto zone. it stop leaking for a few days, then it came right back.

The leak won't hurt anything as long as you check the oil level weekly. That gives you time. Whatever you do don't go to Cadillac. They will charge you at least $700. My suggestion is to print up the pages I pointed out and go to a local garage. Show them the pages and get an estimate. Have them clean the breather and hoses first. That will relieve the crankcase pressure and maybe stop the leak. If that doesn't work then you'll have to change the gaskets. Order the gaskets yourself to avoid their mark-up and you'll just be charged for labor. Shop for a garage that services Saabs and/or Saturns. They use the same engine so their techs should be familiar with it.

Elvin