: I "need" Milk Crates

Murphyg
01-26-08, 02:45 AM
The old style milk crates. The ones that will fit a standard album !!
12 and a quarter minimum on the inside.
Am almost sure though, that if not at least that, then they dont fit.

I am not legally allowed to cross the border into The United States Of America.

But am more than willing to drive a distance to receive a milk crate that will accommodate my albums.

These card board boxes are just pissing me offfff

Jesda
01-26-08, 04:20 AM
Terrorist! Just kidding.

Is the crate shortage due to the bagging of milk in Canada?

Murphyg
01-26-08, 04:37 AM
It was the size of the crate that created the shortage for anyone that used to own a turntable.
No doubt that milk crates are available every where.
But the companies changed the size way back when. They made the interior a quarter inch smaller so as no to be able to accommodate an album .
Crates were being lifted left right and center because they were the perfect dimensions for a standard LP.

But now its very hard to find something to store an album collection in. Sure you can still put milk in the crates. But that dont mean much if you have nothing or no where to put the reAL ROCK

Submariner409
01-26-08, 09:48 AM
IKEA and This End UP used to sell a line of modular bookcases which were perfect for LP's. Adjustable shelves, various heights and widths, and not too expensive. Look more like furniture than plastic milk baskets. Is there such a furniture outlet there ??

With over 3,100 LP's, I had to do something or get run out of the house......! You know you're over the edge when a piece of living room furniture has a record cleaning machine (Nitty Gritty) on top.......

malcolm
01-26-08, 09:49 AM
The old style milk crates. The ones that will fit a standard album !!
12 and a quarter minimum on the inside.
Am almost sure though, that if not at least that, then they dont fit.

I am not legally allowed to cross the border into The United States Of America.

But am more than willing to drive a distance to receive a milk crate that will accommodate my albums.

These card board boxes are just pissing me offfff

Why aren't you legally allowed to cross the border? I never heard that.

MauiV
01-26-08, 10:20 AM
Im not sure if they have made it to the Arctic yet but compact discs (CD's) are much smaller. Apple (the computer company) even makes a device that will hold THOUSANDS of songs in a device the size of a deck of cards!!! You can fit it in your pocket, or even a milk box, no need for the crate!!

dkozloski
01-26-08, 10:30 AM
A DUI conviction will do it.

CTSV_Rob
01-26-08, 10:47 AM
Im not sure if they have made it to the Arctic yet but compact discs (CD's) are much smaller. Apple (the computer company) even makes a device that will hold THOUSANDS of songs in a device the size of a deck of cards!!! You can fit it in your pocket, or even a milk box, no need for the crate!!
But the amazing part to me is the sound quality still isn't as good. I have an Ipod now and the sound quality is worse then the CD.

malcolm
01-26-08, 10:57 AM
A DUI conviction will do it.
Really, a DUI in the US or Canada? Wow, like house arrest. So if he's got family in the US he can't visit? Forever?

dkozloski
01-26-08, 11:01 AM
I think he can petition for entry via a waiver. The law speaks to acts of moral turpitude, let your imagination run wild here. There is a "petty acts" waiver so it has to be multiple or substantial for you to remain barred. It works going both ways across the border. If you're a bad actor stay home. You'll notice he wasn't specific so it's something he's not proud of. There have been others on our forum from Canada that have mentioned they have been barred. One was for multiple drugs offenses.

MauiV
01-26-08, 11:04 AM
Or he could just walk across at the THOUSANDS of miles of tundra with no crossing check points.

Oh yeah, Cohibas would be a nice trade :yup:

dkozloski
01-26-08, 11:26 AM
Or he could just walk across at the THOUSANDS of miles of tundra with no crossing check points.

Oh yeah, Cohibas would be a nice trade :yup:
If you want to try walking across the Alaska/Canada border you can be my guest. This time of year it would take an expedition like Perry to the North Pole. Tonight it will be -50F where the Alaska Highway crosses from Canada to Alaska. You wouldn't last five minutes.

malcolm
01-26-08, 01:08 PM
Try ebay, there are a few out there right now.

CadillacSTS42005
01-26-08, 01:56 PM
But the amazing part to me is the sound quality still isn't as good. I have an Ipod now and the sound quality is worse then the CD.

depends on how compressed the file is when ripped from the cd
no compression better sounding
more compression worse sounding but can fit more songs on

CadillacSTS42005
01-26-08, 01:57 PM
If you want to try walking across the Alaska/Canada border you can be my guest. This time of year it would take an expedition like Perry to the North Pole. Tonight it will be -50F where the Alaska Highway crosses from Canada to Alaska. You wouldn't last five minutes.

bet you really love your 4WD and Heated Seats huh lol

gary88
01-26-08, 02:23 PM
bet you really love your 4WD and Heated Seats huh lol

AWD

4WD means it has a transfer case :thumbsup:

/end smartass rant

dkozloski
01-26-08, 03:50 PM
AWD

4WD means it has a transfer case :thumbsup:

/end smartass rant
AWD has an open differential in the Borg-Warner transfer case and every wheel can turn at a different speed. 4WD has no center differential and the use of the 4WD is restricted from hard surfaced roads.

Present temp is -35F and headed for -50F tonight. Heated seats and steering wheel are nice. An STS has plenty of heat. At -50F you can drive in shirtsleeves.

MauiV
01-26-08, 06:56 PM
Present temp is -35F and headed for -50F tonight.

And yet another reason not to live North of I-10.

I cant wait till the wife finishes school and I can take my ass back to the tropics, where its 78* and sunny 360 days a year.

I love the seasons, thats why I like living in a place that gets rid of all the shitty ones.

dkozloski
01-26-08, 07:07 PM
And yet another reason not to live North of I-10.

I cant wait till the wife finishes school and I can take my ass back to the tropics, where its 78* and sunny 360 days a year.

I love the seasons, thats why I like living in a place that gets rid of all the shitty ones.
The weather in Hawaii is good but I couldn't handle the isolation and the racism.

MauiV
01-26-08, 07:23 PM
Theres flights to the Mainland, Alaska, and all over Asia every single day. The longest I ever went without leaving the state was 18 months and rock fever does start to set in a bit but the ability to be outside in boardshorts and flip flops EVERY SINGLE DAY makes up for it. Eating Ahi Sashimi on the boat that you caught an hour ago does have its perks. Alaska is beautiful but highly unusable for much too long IMPO.

The racism is worse on Oahu and thats mainly because of all the military. I was in the military 7 years and tried not to live in a heavy military area whenever possible. Oahu is just LA with better beaches though, which is why I prefer Maui. Much more laid back yet still everything you need or want AND still a ton of unspoiled land, and the mix of locals/transplants/tourists isnt as bitter as Oahu.

CTSV_Rob
01-26-08, 09:06 PM
You can change the compression? Need to redo the CD's I have ripped so far, Sound quality is not so good. Thanks for the info.

gary88
01-26-08, 11:45 PM
I rip my CDs at 320kbps, instead of the default of 128kbps. Really makes a difference.

Murphyg
01-31-08, 07:07 PM
IKEA and This End UP used to sell a line of modular bookcases which were perfect for LP's. Adjustable shelves, various heights and widths, and not too expensive. Look more like furniture than plastic milk baskets. Is there such a furniture outlet there ??

With over 3,100 LP's, I had to do something or get run out of the house......! You know you're over the edge when a piece of living room furniture has a record cleaning machine (Nitty Gritty) on top.......

O ya, we have them up here too. Pretty much all the same outlets as there.
Just dont have as many albums as used too and Im not ready to make it part of the decor.
Was just looking to get em out of the cardboard boxes for now. Tucked away into an indiscreet corner. Would also be easy to make something as well. But that will be future when the basement is finished.
3100......I remember when I was at about 1200. Then there was the fire of '85.....and a puddle of vinyl.

Playdrv4me
01-31-08, 07:48 PM
Living in warm climes gets old after a while, especially near the beach.

The first thing it does is ruin the excitement and fun of visiting "the beach" when you aren't landlocked and cold and looking forward to it. It also makes you miss the seasons, and to a lesser extent the humidity sucks.

I am warm blooded and from South Texas, and now live in Florida. But I'd prefer to be back in Wichita (a place I hated when I first moved there) where I lived for 5 years.

Murphyg
01-31-08, 08:38 PM

Cant serve on a jury either.
Convicted of an indictable offense way way back. :shhh:
Was young and stupid :thepan: I guess the saying goes.
If convicted of an indictable offense, (DUI not being as such, I believe), then you can be turned away at the border.
Sure I can receive a pardon from the courts after so many years, depending on the offense of course. But there is still a lot more involved to be able to cross into the United States.

For starters, receiving the pardon can be costly.
"ALL" transcripts of the trial must be obtained. And depending on how long the trial was, that can add up. I believe you pay by page.
Again, depending on the offense, certain affidavits from certain individuals must be obtained. As well as other affidavits from x number of individuals in your community that know you. Friends, family, acquaintances, etc that you interact with regularly. The kind that are prominent, respectable, etc....

All need to be witnessed, notarized, blah, blah........Lawyers fees.....

Then the submission fee......

So sure the pardon is granted.....
But that doesnt mean that I can cross the border into the United States.
The charge of an indictable offense is still in the system, pardon or no pardon.
And attempts to cross the border after already being told no......you can loose everything. They take your car, boat, luggage...everything... and send you walking. If your lucky you can have a friend attend the auction and "hopefully" get your stuff back at a decent price :histeric:

So next, everything that you have done to receive the pardon, now has to be submitted to immigration, border people, or whoever it is.
Have to submit an application for approval of entry.
And thats in the States. So to assure it gets there it should not be sent regular mail. Cheap enough but still another expense.
And dont forget the fee that is required so as to have your application submitted, processed and reviewed.

With all that being done. There is still the possibility of being told NO :bonkers: :histeric:

With the record I have there have been no problems traveling to anywhere that is not a union of the United States. As long as there is no stop over in the States then no problem. :hmm:

It was something I did way back when. Was stupid. Was petty. But if I cant cross into the United States because of it, its no big deal to me. Have gone elsewhere and done other things. Still havent even shown the fullness of Canada to my children. Dont think I myself have experienced all that my country has to offer.

Sure I made some mistakes when I was young. But I learned from them. I believe myself to be a law abiding respectful individual. (DUI btw, as far as Im concerned, is one of the lowest of the lows btw), but now I jest.
I dont accept crap from idiots, and believe that is not a reflection as to ones respectability. LOL

So as it now stands, Im not allowed into the United States. Have seen many other beautiful places and things. And plan to see more besides that fact. So is really not an issue to me. It has not deterred my life exponentially in any way what so ever, and I dont believe that it ever will.
There is no reason that would ever require me to "need" to enter the United States.
So I save my monies and carry on happily.

I think he can petition for entry via a waiver. The law speaks to acts of moral turpitude, let your imagination run wild here. There is a "petty acts" waiver so it has to be multiple or substantial for you to remain barred. It works going both ways across the border. If you're a bad actor stay home. You'll notice he wasn't specific so it's something he's not proud of. There have been others on our forum from Canada that have mentioned they have been barred. One was for multiple drugs offenses.

So there is more to it than acting. And to be honest, a lot less than what even a stagnant imagination should conjure up.
And without a doubt,........
Im sure that there is at least one thing that we all are not proud about doing.
Me being not being specific about what I did has nothing to do with pride.
I discuss it with many that I know. And slowly as my children get older, I am making them aware of the mistakes Ive made and how they have effected my life.
It has nothing to do with pride. It has all to do with spilling my guts about my whole personal life over the internet for the freakin world to see.
That would be having no pride. Or respect for ones self actually.

Like Duhhhhh !!!!!

Murphyg
01-31-08, 09:14 PM

Either way....nothing sounds like vinyl. It was a superior recording format.
Would be nice if they brought it back. But chances are they would ruin it by digitally formatting everything before recording. Taking out the real sound of the instruments to make it all clear and crisp acchhhhh.....Just like a CD. Dubbing out the real sound that instruments make and real musicians heard, knew, and used to express themselves. The ones that had real talent, and worked with the real sound; Instead of relying on the studio to clean up and present what they were either to lazy to achieve are incapable of.

Digitally re-mastered to CD, my ass. Digitally ruined albums I say.

MauiV
01-31-08, 10:02 PM
Living in warm climes gets old after a while, especially near the beach.

The first thing it does is ruin the excitement and fun of visiting "the beach" when you aren't landlocked and cold and looking forward to it. It also makes you miss the seasons, and to a lesser extent the humidity sucks.

I am warm blooded and from South Texas, and now live in Florida. But I'd prefer to be back in Wichita (a place I hated when I first moved there) where I lived for 5 years.

Huh?

Cold weather SUCKS ASS. As soon as the wife is done with school we are headed back to the Islands. Humans SHOULD NOT live anywhere that if you walk ouside naked you die. Obviously you arent supposed to be there.

I like seasons too, thats why I enjoy living in a place that doesnt get the shitty ones.

80* and blue skies 360 days a year is HORRIBLE!!!! If I want to see snow American Airlines can get me there. I dont ever like when it comes to see me.

The cost of living is a bit insane, but thats Paradise Tax and worth every penny. If everyone could afford it the Island would be infested like Tokyo or Hong Kong and nobody wants that.

This was 150 yards outside my front door.....

Murphyg
01-31-08, 10:26 PM
Ever see the Canadian Niagara Falls in the heart of winter ?
Hell the U.S side of course too....
The spectaculars of nature cannot be described in a picture alone. There is more to the wonders of the human experience and what the world has to offer than what can be described in a controlled naked environment.
Experience and "adaption" of ones surroundings can be a very fulfilling endevour. And especially more true to those that seek out the expansion and knowledge of what is else where.

MauiV
01-31-08, 10:34 PM
I dont like to see ANYTHING in the heart of "winter" that doesnt involve a snowborad or a snowmobile followed by a hot tub and not to long after a flight back to a climae that is useable 24/7.

I have been to Whistler and Banff in the winter and both are wonderful. For about a week.

dkozloski
01-31-08, 11:09 PM
Indictable offense=felony.
Multiple DUI's=felony depending on local law.
They can bar you from crossing the border if they don't like your looks.
It works going both ways across the border.
Murphyg knows of where he speaks; a dumb act as a youngster can haunt you for the rest of your life.
It looks to me like he's got it under control.

A Canadian guy I know applied to the U.S. State department for a simple waiver and received it.

First, find out if the offense does indeed bar your from entry to the U.S. The information on the INS computers is usually sketchy. The burden is on you to prove you should not be barred. You can often quickly obtain and show detailed information that will allow your entry and correct the INS computer. Our office will often work together with your Canadian lawyer to prove this.

Even if you are inadmissable U.S. Immigration can "waive" exclusion and admit you. Thousands of Canadian waiver applications are granted each year, based on these issues. The single most important factor is the passage of time since the violation occurred. Also:

What is the risk of harm to society if you are admitted?
How serious was your prior violation(s) of immigration or criminal law, if any?
What are your reasons for wishing to enter the United State
The waiver application package can be obtained from any U.S. immigration office or from an immigration attorney. It requires a personal statement, information forms, and fingerprints for both Canada and the U.S. Adjudication may take several months. If approved, an initial multiple-entry waiver will be granted, usually for six months. Extensions require new fingerprints if the previous prints are more than a year old. A Border Crossing Card may be available to eliminate the need for annual renewal applications. (See the FAQ-Frequently Asked Questions, "How can I make it go faster?")

"Parole" may be granted, on written application, for emergency entry while the application is pending

Murphyg
02-01-08, 12:32 AM
I dont like to see ANYTHING in the heart of "winter" that doesnt involve a snowborad or a snowmobile followed by a hot tub and not to long after a flight back to a climae that is useable 24/7.

I have been to Whistler and Banff in the winter and both are wonderful. For about a week.

So Ya Do Know :cloud9:
Been there done that with boards on even eh ? And the hot tub is sweet though isnt it.
Dont mind me. Im just waitin for the so called winter warning snow to hit. Get out with the 10 hp snow thrower. Just tuned it up a couple weeks ago and didnt think I was gonna be able to put it to work again this year. Ive got the day off and it better damned snow LOL.
Palm trees just tick me off sometimes. The kids love to climb. But on those .......well at there age......only 10.......I dont think its that far off as having to watch Kieth Richards try to climb one. Sure maybe the same actions and what not. But am sooooo sure would turn out better with Keith fallin than one of the youngins LOL.

10 year olds and Kieth Richards ???? Never would have thought the comparison was possible LMFAO

MauiV
02-01-08, 12:53 AM
LOL.

I worked in Houston with a bunch of guys that had transfered down from Omahell, Nebraska.

They said when they moved they strapped their snow shovels on the roof and drove South until someone asked "Whats that?" Then they knew they had gone far enough.