: 09V same as 04V...

tx_metabaron
01-26-08, 01:02 AM
Or so thinks my 2 yrs old son,as he walked in today and saw the cover of the latest Car and Driver and said :"that's Dada's car !!"

I don't need to upgrade,that's all I needed :cloud9:

Jpjr
01-26-08, 06:41 AM
Or so thinks my 2 yrs old son,as he walked in today and saw the cover of the latest Car and Driver and said :"that's Dada's car !!"

I don't need to upgrade,that's all I needed :cloud9:

what about when dada is getting smoked on the freeway :D

you need to upgrade dude. there will literally be almost no comparison between the old and new V in any meaningful performance category.

BowenCT
01-26-08, 11:48 AM
there will literally be almost no comparison between the old and new V in any meaningful performance category.

Thanks for the swift kick to the groin........

CVP33
01-26-08, 02:23 PM
If my son would've said that I would've slapped him. Oops, he's only 2 years old. Rolled up newspaper then. :lildevil:

OldRoadDawg
01-26-08, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the swift kick to the groin........

:kick:

But the 'old' V will now be a classic. Particularly the '04.
(if I say this enough times, I'll start to believe it)

M5eatr
01-26-08, 08:47 PM
If my son would've said that I would've slapped him. Oops, he's only 2 years old. Rolled up newspaper then. :lildevil:

Chris,

Nice to see you are still around. I take it you will probably be like me and jump into the 09 like I will and then be biaothin until they fix the issues in'10 or '11.

CVP33
01-27-08, 01:21 AM
Chris,

Nice to see you are still around. I take it you will probably be like me and jump into the 09 like I will and then be biaothin until they fix the issues in'10 or '11.

Definitely going to wait a few months and listen intently for some first hand experiences. I was one of the first 2004 CTS-V's in the country. I can't take that experience twice.

CVP33
01-27-08, 10:41 AM
Jimmy's feisty here lately. You have such a way with words. Your wit is unrivaled and apparently the warning from site owner and senior moderator did nothing to curtail your reprobatic behavior. I suggest you be more obsequious, but I doubt you will. Making great theater for the rest of us. Now continue on with your puerile jibes as they make me giggle. :lildevil:

Seattle CTS-V
01-28-08, 01:24 AM
there will literally be almost no comparison between the old and new V in any meaningful performance category.

I honestly wonder how a V like mine would do against a stock '09 V on the road course. I'd be probably giving up 10-20hp and maybe 50lbft of torque but undercutting the weight by about 350lbs. The suspension on the new V will probably be superior with the super fast magneto-blah,blah but my ride is sprung pretty stiffly too. ;)

lawfive
01-28-08, 04:58 AM
I honestly wonder how a V like mine would do against a stock '09 V on the road course. I'd be probably giving up 10-20hp and maybe 50lbft of torque but undercutting the weight by about 350lbs. The suspension on the new V will probably be superior with the super fast magneto-blah,blah but my ride is sprung pretty stiffly too. ;)
I was thinking the same thing about my V. But if you're selling yours, what difference does it make? :tisk:

Jpjr
01-28-08, 10:19 AM
The new one has a superior chassis and suspension, and the power to weight ratio is better. I don't see the extra weight making any difference, new one should smoke the old one. (And I own the old one too)

Seattle CTS-V
01-28-08, 11:29 AM
The new one has a superior chassis and suspension, and the power to weight ratio is better. I don't see the extra weight making any difference, new one should smoke the old one. (And I own the old one too)

Have you seen track times for it yet? How do they compare to track times for a modded V like mine or Chef's old car? I definitely WANT the new V to be faster than my currently modded V since hopefully I'll be sitting in one in the future. I'm just speculating that a modded first Gen will be able to keep up with it on a road course. I think the new V will defnitely smoke most of the modded first Gens at the drag strip.

Seattle CTS-V
01-28-08, 11:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing about my V. But if you're selling yours, what difference does it make? :tisk:

Well, if I want to upgrade to the new V I certainly want to make sure its faster than my current one at the track. :lildevil: So, it makes alot of difference!

DRKSIDE
01-28-08, 05:13 PM
I think the C&D had the 1/4 at 12.4? Don't remember, just got it today and I am too lazy to go look. There is my useless post for the day! :D

BTW - my 8 yr old said the same thing. "Dad, that's your car except grey!"

My response...."Yeah, son! It sure is!"

NIK
01-28-08, 05:29 PM
Have you seen track times for it yet? How do they compare to track times for a modded V like mine or Chef's old car? I definitely WANT the new V to be faster than my currently modded V since hopefully I'll be sitting in one in the future. I'm just speculating that a modded first Gen will be able to keep up with it on a road course. I think the new V will defnitely smoke most of the modded first Gens at the drag strip.

For about $15K more than the current model, it sure better! But I don't think BMW or Chrysler will sit still either - I wonder how they will answer HP wise?
And I have to agree, if my decision to upgrade were based only on styling, I most definately would not spend the extra money to upgrade. For now, I love my '05 - it still will out-perform 80-85% of the cars now on the road and still has a lot of goodies to play with.

CVP33
01-28-08, 09:40 PM
I doubt Chrysler will do much. Niche cars are not in their future. Dollars to create a more potent power plant will be hard to come by. Now I do believe the 6.1L hemi has another 50 horsepower available, but not another 125HP+ without some major modifications.

Katshot
01-28-08, 10:33 PM
Nobody with a brain can expect cars at this level to have huge leaps forward at each update. If, for some reason, GM does manage to actually SMOKE the Gen. 1 in all categories of performance (which I doubt), I think it will be a huge mistake because they certainly will be setting themselves and their loyal customers up for an eventual fall. Slow, consistent progress is the best way to proceed IMO.
BTW, a good power to weight ratio is a very limited view of what makes a performance car, and certainly doesn't guarantee that it will do well on a road course. The laws of physics WILL prevail. And I wouldn't count Chrysler out all so fast.

JBsZ06
01-28-08, 11:55 PM
I believe the new technology of launch control will allow for faster acceleration even over modded series one cars..

That said both the original V series and the upcoming CTS V with 550 hp are great american sports sedans.

JB

Seattle CTS-V
01-29-08, 03:23 AM
I believe the new technology of launch control will allow for faster acceleration even over modded series one cars..

That said both the original V series and the upcoming CTS V with 550 hp are great american sports sedans.

JB

I agree, from a dig, the new V should step out with some seriously great 60' times. Meanwhile, in order to get my car to handle the way it does I had to put stiffer rear springs on it - killing my hole shots since I get very little squat. (Why did that sound sexual?)

thebigjimsho
01-29-08, 07:48 AM
Your kids are ignorant.

atdeneve
01-29-08, 11:16 AM
If, for some reason, GM does manage to actually SMOKE the Gen. 1 in all categories of performance (which I doubt), I think it will be a huge mistake because they certainly will be setting themselves and their loyal customers up for an eventual fall.

Curious as to why you say that.

Katshot
01-29-08, 03:07 PM
Quantum leaps in performance CANNOT be expected from every platform update. Any OEM that implies they can, either doesn't plan on doing updates very often, or is setting the customer up for certain disappointment. As much as the customer would like to think otherwise, in most cases, it's simply not practical. Think "evolutionary" more than "revolutionary".

atdeneve
01-29-08, 03:17 PM
No, I mean I definitely agree with a statement such as

Slow, consistent progress is the best way to proceed...

But I just didn't understand why it would be such a mistake if the Gen II V did actually manage to "smoke" the Current Gen V in all categories. I certainly don't think that's ever expected to happen with each model update, however, if it is somehow achieved, why is that bad?

Katshot
01-29-08, 04:13 PM
Not necessarily bad for the customer obviously, can just be misleading to customers, and tough for the OEM to maintain. I would also say that it's not necessarily a bright move for the OEM specifically on this car since there were only a few key points that really needed to be improved upon. This is why I would have suggested an "evolutionary" approach rather than "revolutionary" one. The Gen. 1 was a fine car and really established a spot in the sport sedan market for Cadillac. To make such a huge improvement insinuates that the Gen. 1 car was seriously lacking in ways that I believe it was not. Plus, you don't really want to obsolete the previous car in such a way that makes owners leary of buying for fear of the car being on shaky ground with respect to resale values. Face it, who's going to want to buy an '07 CTS-V? Or what of all those who just did?