: Problem with RSS

bbozsik
05-13-04, 04:13 PM
I was under my car looking behind the driver's front wheel, and noticed what looks to be a suspension component not connected to anything. It is about 1 foot long and is covered by an accordian style black sleeve. It appears the end is sheared off. The passenger side equivalent is connected to the control arm assembly by a small piece of welded metal and a ball and socket joint. The drivers side arm does not have this (any more?) Any ideas?

eldorado1
05-13-04, 05:56 PM
99.999% sure that's the ride height sensor. Without that, your compressor could run until it drains the battery/burns out... At least that has been my take on it.. Expensive too - I'd suggest buying used.

bbozsik
05-14-04, 12:01 AM
Is it possible that the tab that connected it to the control arm was sheared completely off by a dimwitted mechanic? I will probably have to weld something new onto it, right?

BeelzeBob
05-14-04, 12:35 AM
I was under my car looking behind the driver's front wheel, and noticed what looks to be a suspension component not connected to anything. It is about 1 foot long and is covered by an accordian style black sleeve. It appears the end is sheared off. The passenger side equivalent is connected to the control arm assembly by a small piece of welded metal and a ball and socket joint. The drivers side arm does not have this (any more?) Any ideas?

That is the wheel position sensor for the RSS. It tells the ride computer what the suspension on that corner is doing. The RSS is disabled without it. It is not directly involved with the leveling of the car if it is a front sensor as you describe. The rear position sensors will cause the level ride compressor to pump up the rear struts...but the fronts are not air assisted.... With an engine change, sure, the position sensor could have been broken dropping the cradle and such... If the RSS did not set any codes before the change then I would say it is a good bet that it happened with the engine swap. You need to see exactly what is broken, though. Is it the end of the sensor, the attachment to the suspension, etc...??? If the sensor is OK it may be easy to repair.

bbozsik
06-10-04, 03:23 PM
Tinkering around underneath the front driver's side wheel, I noticed that the tab to the control arm is intact. What IS broken off, however, are the ball joint and rod of the height sensor. Here's a dumb question... I have in my possession a used driver's side rear height sensor... I suppose they aren't the same type of sensor, are they? I couldn't use the rear to replace the shaft and joint for the front...