: Challenger SRT8 Revealed

HITMONEY
01-24-08, 08:20 PM
:yup:

I am all about this car.

I love the Camaro, but the mystique of this car has me infatuated with it.

Pistol Grip for me!

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/FREE/364059403/1608/FREE&rssfeed=rss01

HITMONEY
01-24-08, 08:43 PM
And even more info here..

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

DILLIGAF
01-24-08, 08:48 PM
Sorry Hit,It does nothing for me.

HITMONEY
01-24-08, 09:29 PM
Sorry Hit,It does nothing for me.

Thats why they make Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream.

:p

DILLIGAF
01-24-08, 10:08 PM
I wish the car would be more exclusive.I think it's gonna be like the rustangs and the chargers.High school parking lots will be full of them.I love what Chrysler has done with the srt's,chat sessions,good tech support,track days,ext,but at the end of the day your rollen in a chrysler product.If these things hit the street and are total monsters I will change my mind but I think they will only be so so like the chargers and 300's.The name Challenger is an Icon,do you see a street beast that will be drooled over for the next 30 years?I don't,just another retro body style by chrysler and i'm not buyen it.

Brizzal
01-25-08, 12:18 AM
X2 most new cars are that way....u dont see them still being driving 30 years down... the front of the car looks great, but the back just kills it...

LS1Mike
01-25-08, 03:20 AM
Good looking car! I think they did outstanding job and it will sell!!
I still like the Camaro but mostly becuase I know it will have an LSx based motor and LSx > Hemi.

gothicaleigh
01-25-08, 11:32 AM
The same 425hp Hemi attached to the same 5 speed slushbox transmission that we have seen in half a dozen other models from Chrysler. Now is the time when they should be trying to prove that they can stand on their own, but instead they keep regurgitating the same car with a different body. :yawn:

Florian
01-25-08, 12:10 PM
The same 425hp Hemi attached to the same 5 speed slushbox transmission that we have seen in half a dozen other models from Chrysler. Now is the time when they should be trying to prove that they can stand on their own, but instead they keep regurgitating the same car with a different body. :yawn:

+1. Everybody else is pushing limits, Chrysler still asleep at the switch.

F

Lord Cadillac
01-25-08, 12:12 PM
It's nice and all, but.. It's having a hard time growing on me. I think a lot of people who KNOW what the car is will buy it - but I don't think it'll attract "new" buyers like the Mustang did and the Camaro WILL.

Kael
01-25-08, 12:21 PM
so let me think... buy this new cutsey challenger for 40 grand and have it depreciate instantly or buy an original restored challenger for 40 grand (seen plenty) have it appreciate and not be called a wanna be or poser... yeah..

BigJon
01-25-08, 12:46 PM
it look nice but not as bad ass as the camaro does... but it nice to see they are bringing these old cars back

Lord Cadillac
01-25-08, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I like that they're bringing the old styles back as well.. I'll freak out if I see a Chevy Chevelle SS or Chevy Nova SS..

gothicaleigh
01-25-08, 02:12 PM
What I want to see is them taking retro back to the glory days of US auto design. Modern versions of american iconography like the '57 Chevy and '59 Eldorado. Something along the lines of Holden's EFIGY concept, but staying true to the original's styling cues as we have seen in recent retro cars like the Thunderbird, Mustang, and Camaro.

Spyder
01-25-08, 02:18 PM
so let me think... buy this new cutsey challenger for 40 grand and have it depreciate instantly or buy an original restored challenger for 40 grand (seen plenty) have it appreciate and not be called a wanna be or poser... yeah..

Orrrrr, buy the NEW one and park it next to my OLD one, 440 and all?

:lildevil:

gary88
01-25-08, 02:32 PM
I used to be floored when I first saw this car, but I guess it's appeal already wore off for me.

HITMONEY
01-25-08, 02:44 PM

:tisk:

"Shortly after the 2008s comes 2009 model-year production. The always-reliable oh20 reported that the lineup will be expanded to three models with the addition of three more engines, the base model having the 3.5L V6 while the R/T model will offer the all-new 5.7L VCT Hemi with MDS (5-speed) and without MDS (6-speed). Both the R/T and SRT8 will offer an optional six-speed TREMEC manual transmission."

"The 5.7L Hemi engine is set for an upgrade, which is why the R/T Challengers will not arrive until the 2009 model year. Chrysler will have variable cam timing in place on these new-generation 5.7 engines (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html), neatly leapfrogging most variable-valve timing systems. In addition to VVT and expanded MDS operating range, the HEMIís fuel economy (~4%) and performance improvements (~10%) result from an increased compression ratio, an active intake manifold with long runners for low-end torque and short runners for high-rpm power, improved cylinder head port flow efficiency, and reduced restriction exhaust and induction systems. To raise the reliability and durability of the HEMI engine, other updates are crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design and oil pump capacity increase for VVT"

"The expanded Multiple Displacement System (MDS) will be included in the new 5.7 that is offered in R/T automatic transmission models, while 6-speed manual R/T models will feature the same engine without MDS. A 6.4 liter version, with an estimated 500 or more hp, is still expected to be offered in a future model of the Challenger, possibly debuting in the 2010 model year."

Florian
01-25-08, 03:06 PM
well see about that with the new CAFE numbers.....

Dollar to a donut says no 6.4l.

F

MauiV
01-25-08, 03:21 PM
And look, it still comes in fugly colors!!!!

Cadillacboy
01-25-08, 06:00 PM
CTS-V kicks ass

JC316
01-25-08, 07:15 PM
I love the looks of that car. They had an SRT8 at the fair this year, AWESOME looking. I would love to have one of those cars.

thebigjimsho
01-26-08, 02:33 AM
I didn't like it when they first were shown, I don't like it now. The current Mustang looks better, the Camaro is the best...

Lord Cadillac
01-26-08, 03:46 AM
That all sounds really awesome - but like Florian said - with CAFE, it's very unlikely. I've already read some rumors about the HEMI getting the axe altogether. I really don't doubt it could happen. If the Ultra Northstar can get canned, so can something like this. Which really sucks because it all sounds very promising...

:tisk:

"Shortly after the 2008s comes 2009 model-year production. The always-reliable oh20 reported that the lineup will be expanded to three models with the addition of three more engines, the base model having the 3.5L V6 while the R/T model will offer the all-new 5.7L VCT Hemi with MDS (5-speed) and without MDS (6-speed). Both the R/T and SRT8 will offer an optional six-speed TREMEC manual transmission."

"The 5.7L Hemi engine is set for an upgrade, which is why the R/T Challengers will not arrive until the 2009 model year. Chrysler will have variable cam timing in place on these new-generation 5.7 engines (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html), neatly leapfrogging most variable-valve timing systems. In addition to VVT and expanded MDS operating range, the HEMIís fuel economy (~4%) and performance improvements (~10%) result from an increased compression ratio, an active intake manifold with long runners for low-end torque and short runners for high-rpm power, improved cylinder head port flow efficiency, and reduced restriction exhaust and induction systems. To raise the reliability and durability of the HEMI engine, other updates are crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design and oil pump capacity increase for VVT"

"The expanded Multiple Displacement System (MDS) will be included in the new 5.7 that is offered in R/T automatic transmission models, while 6-speed manual R/T models will feature the same engine without MDS. A 6.4 liter version, with an estimated 500 or more hp, is still expected to be offered in a future model of the Challenger, possibly debuting in the 2010 model year."

gothicaleigh
02-07-08, 02:17 PM
The bimmerforum guys just noticed this car (it formally debuted in Philadelphia recently).

Their verdict:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/oosa_hagar/Misc/srt8-fail.jpg