: Rebuilt EBTCM still no speedo

Bill Henderson
01-24-08, 03:18 PM
Had rebuilt EBTCM installed, ABS & Trac Control lights now off but speedometer still doesn't work. Transmission check light has now come on as well & tranny will go into safe mode when the vehicle has been driven for a distance. Anyone have any advise? Also have another issue which I do not believe is related to EBTCM. When the car sits and it is started cold it will sputter, choke, idle extremely rough. It may even stall at times. But after it struggles for 2 to 3 minutes it kicks in and idles and drives just fine. This is my daughters car and after 2 months of trying to get all this worked out I would love some guidance.

Cadi Cat
01-24-08, 06:26 PM
Had rebuilt EBTCM installed, ABS & Trac Control lights now off but speedometer still doesn't work. Transmission check light has now come on as well & tranny will go into safe mode when the vehicle has been driven for a distance. Anyone have any advise? Also have another issue which I do not believe is related to EBTCM. When the car sits and it is started cold it will sputter, choke, idle extremely rough. It may even stall at times. But after it struggles for 2 to 3 minutes it kicks in and idles and drives just fine. This is my daughters car and after 2 months of trying to get all this worked out I would love some guidance.

I really don't have an answer for you but the speedo not working maybe a malfunctioning speed sensor. That's all I can think of. Does the mileage and trip work? My car also idles rough on a cold start just as you described and struggles for about 30 seconds, but never stalls. I would like to know what that is and how to fix it. Anyone experience this? It does this every winter almost every morning. Could it just be moisture building up? The car starts right up and seems to run fine, but then about 15 seconds later it idles rough almost to the point of stalling for about another 15, then runs normally.

Bill Henderson
01-28-08, 03:09 PM
Just some added info. After installing new EBTCM anti lock and trac control lights still off. ABS working , speedometer not working, service trans light coming on sometimes, limping into safe mode sometimes, check engine light on all the time, and still getting the rough start issue. Had a scan performed and got the following codes. P0300,0301,0302,0303,0304,0305 P1700 AND P1870. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

smcrosby
01-29-08, 12:56 PM
Are those all misfire codes? You may have a bad ignition coil... The vehicle speed is picked up from the r/r wheel, not the transmission speed sensor. I believe that one is only used for diagnostics.

Bill Henderson
01-29-08, 06:34 PM
Yes the 300 codes are all misfire, but whats puzzling is the car only sputters and idles rough for a minute or two after a cold start than kicks in and idles and runs great. It sputters, pops, chokes etc... than instantly idles and runs fine. So it is a cold start issue. I also have to add that like cady cat when you first start the car it is fine for 15 seconds or so , than chokes for a min or two, and than fine.