: 98 catera help

98catera
01-23-08, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a 98 catera with 35K miles. On the second day the "Check Engine" light came on, the A/C stopped working, the lights started to turn on and off and the horn would not work. Checked the fuses and one was bad. Replaced it and most of the things got fixed. The "Check Engine" light is still on and the A/C does not work. It just blows hot air. I went to a local auto parts store and the code i was given was P0411 for the "Check Engine" light. I just wanted to know what others have done in the past to fix these issues. Has anyone else had these issues at 35K? Also, I have read about recalls for the Catera. How can i find out the recalls and if the work has been done on my car? Any help would be appreciated..

rinverso
01-23-08, 10:58 PM
sorry i don't know that code. i'm sure one of the motorheads here can help you though. the recalls on the timing tensioner would of course be obsolete on your car by now. but you can go to caddy and ask them to pull the recall work and service done on your car by caddy. just need the vin number. do whatever you can do to find out if the timing belt and tensioner have been replaced. if not done, do it asap even though your cat has only 35k it still is 10 years old. your engine is a restrictor german engine. and if you jump timing you got big problems.:banghead:
good luck, robert

elvin315
01-24-08, 10:07 AM
P0411 - Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected

Don't know what it means so don't ask. Sounds emissions related though.

satse
01-24-08, 11:07 AM
It is emissions related and the system is not necessary unless you need to have your emissions checked regularly. The system has a blower under the front driver's bumper and it activated at a cold start for 60-90 seconds. You can tell by the whine it makes. Sometimes the hose gets split and needs replaced, or the solenoid or control valve go bad. The valve and solenoid are located by the battery and you'll see vacuum hoses going to it. If you pull the rightmost hose off, you'll be able to see if the blower and valve are working. If you hear the blower and don't feel the air, you can manually test the check valve by sucking on its vacuum hose. If that opens it, then it's your solenoid, otherwise I'd start with the check valve.

You could ignore that code, but it's annoying to have it return all the time in cold weather.

elvin315
01-24-08, 04:02 PM
Refer to Section 11. It deals with the emissions system. It shows where the EGR valve and Secondary Air Pump and associated hoses are located.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/resources/VAUXHAULL_V6_ENGINES/VauxV6engine.pdf

Elvin

1998catera
01-30-08, 05:55 PM
I had the exact same code and drove it for a few years because they couldn't find it. Well, when I needed the valve covers done, there was a pin hole in a tiny tiny tiny hose that was throwing up the code. It didn't affect ANYTHING. Oh well. I'm not even sure where it was located.

98catera
02-20-08, 10:50 PM
What did you get done to the valve covers and how much did you pay? I have a oil leak and my mechanic is telling me that i need to replace the gaskets on the covers. He is saying around $700. Does that sound right?