: Weight savings with headers

crankedupforit
01-23-08, 01:57 PM
Anyone know the net loss going from stock exhaust to Kooks with hi flow cats? Trying to negate the Maggie weight gain.

RunningOnEMT
01-23-08, 02:05 PM
i can weigh my stock manifolds when i get home ... but i can't imagine it will negate the weight of a blower, might offset it a LITTLE .... but never the whole she-bang

heavymetals
01-23-08, 05:05 PM
Forget the weight of the maggie.

You aren't even gonna come close to what the radiator (filled) and the electric pump weigh for the intercooler.

svassh
01-23-08, 05:11 PM
Too many other reasons for headers than weight. You got the maggie so she's breathing in good, now get the headers and hi-flows to let her exhale.

trukk
01-24-08, 01:13 PM
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

What do the headers + cats weigh? I have my iron manifolds + OEM cats burried in my garage somewhere. I would *GUESS* that the savings would be at least 20lbs / side.

Add that savings in with an aluminum flywheel, and then put the battery in the trunk, and you've come along way to making that weight up. You'll still be off, but it will be a lot better than before.

-Chris

RunningOnEMT
01-24-08, 01:19 PM
Ok... the stock manifolds checked in at about 29 pounds apiece with the cats....

atdeneve
01-24-08, 03:27 PM
Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats are about 16 pounds. So it looks like a net savings of about 26 pounds.

trukk
01-24-08, 03:39 PM
Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats are about 16 pounds. So it looks like a net savings of about 26 pounds.

Wow, I thought it would be a lot more than that. Those iron manifolds and humongous stock Cats sure look like they weigh a lot more than that.

Still, 26 lbs is 26 lbs :D

-Chris

RunningOnEMT
01-24-08, 03:51 PM
cast iron isnt all that heavy

trukk
01-24-08, 04:45 PM
cast iron isnt all that heavy

Ya but it's brittle, so to make it viable, they have to use a lot more of it. I.e. 1/4 " thick manifold walls vs. 1/16" thick for steel.

-Chris

NormV
03-30-08, 08:18 PM
Chris, weighed the Kooks with cats vs stock and it was a savings of 5 lbs each side.

Just weighed the V with 3/4 tank of gas and empty trunk at Roebling Road and without sun roof came in @ 3763 lbs. Figure 3700 even without gas. :)

Norm

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

What do the headers + cats weigh? I have my iron manifolds + OEM cats burried in my garage somewhere. I would *GUESS* that the savings would be at least 20lbs / side.

Add that savings in with an aluminum flywheel, and then put the battery in the trunk, and you've come along way to making that weight up. You'll still be off, but it will be a lot better than before.

-Chris

trukk
03-31-08, 05:40 PM
Chris, weighed the Kooks with cats vs stock and it was a savings of 5 lbs each side.

Just weighed the V with 3/4 tank of gas and empty trunk at Roebling Road and without sun roof came in @ 3763 lbs. Figure 3700 even without gas. :)

Norm

No way do i believe that. It has to be more than 5lbs per side. I still have my OEM manifolds + cats, that I can weigh, if someone has a set of kooks to weigh.

Also 3700 sure sound light. You peel off a lot of weight on that thing?

-Chris

NormV
03-31-08, 05:49 PM
I was surprised by the exhaust manifold weight too! Just used a digital bathroom scale which might have some rounding error.

Wonder if they'll have scales @ Summit? :)

I use the scale to ship ups and they have not complained. :)

The car weight was even with floor mats! I am using the stock mufflers which weighed about 20 lbs than Corsa on the same scale.

No way do i believe that. It has to be more than 5lbs per side. I still have my OEM manifolds + cats, that I can weigh, if someone has a set of kooks to weigh.

Also 3700 sure sound light. You peel off a lot of weight on that thing?

-Chris