: need help figuring out what the problem is

cateraowner
01-22-08, 08:59 PM
oh.. after 4 months of owning this thing, this is the first time I've had a problem with it.

ok.. well I went to start the car up and the battery is depleated.

so I was thinking one of 2 problems, alernator or battery.

so I thought I'd try and get a jumpstart to see. if it starts up and dies as soon as I take it off, then I know it's the alternator, and if it starts up and runs I know the battery is almost dead.

but when I get the car hooked up I get nothing. just as if nothing is hooked up. I've never had a car never jump before so I don't know what could be the problem.

the battery is definatly depleated since the power lock don't work and the dome light dims more every time I try to start it.

I drove it yesterday without any problems. I've had alternator problems with 2 of my previous cars, so I do notice the battery gage once in a while, and I didn't notice anything weird (only the gauge going down a significant amount when my defroster is on at a stop light, but I assume that's normal)

there is a lot of corrosion on the negitive terminal which leads me to beleive it's the battery.

but my question is with a bad battery will the car not jump at all?

Thanks for your help

batboy
01-22-08, 09:26 PM
Battery cells can short out suddenly or more typically the cable terminal(s) become corroded. Although, usually it's the positive that gets crusty. I'd try cleaning the cable terminals first. If the cables look ok, pull the battery out and take it to a chain auto parts store like Advance or Autozone or Pepboys, they usually will load test the battery for free.

rinverso
01-22-08, 10:07 PM
Battery cells can short out suddenly or more typically the cable terminal(s) become corroded. Although, usually it's the positive that gets crusty. I'd try cleaning the cable terminals first. If the cables look ok, pull the battery out and take it to a chain auto parts store like Advance or Autozone or Pepboys, they usually will load test the battery for free.

batboy is right on.i had the same problem. i tried jumping it and it wouldn't start. i figured bigger problems. i cleaned off both terminals which were corroded and it jumped and started right up. as it turned out the battery was weak and wouldn'
t hold a charge well. so i replaced it ...
a quick tip in cleaning your battery terminals. pour alittle coke on them, and see how it all disolves the crud. it really works.
have fun, robert:D

cateraowner
01-22-08, 10:18 PM
thanks guys.. makes me feel a lot better..

I think it's time to replace the battery anyways so I'll just go ahead and replace it.

is there other things i should look into replacing also? like the battery cables? how hard are those to replace?

rinverso
01-23-08, 08:41 AM
no reason to replace the battery cables. just clean the connections real good and tighten to terminals. if the ends don't tighten nicely, you just need to replace the connectors.
remember the coke!!
robert:D

batboy
01-23-08, 09:19 AM
I find a wire brush works good for cleaning up battery terminals. You can buy them for a couple of bucks at most any parts store.

cateraowner
01-23-08, 01:10 PM
coke and wire brush gotcha...

just wondering... am I gonna have any difficulty pulling the clamps off?

called around the dealership want 225$ for a battery... if I go to walmart and get one, what do I have to look at? what is 91-600 is that the size? aparently our batteries aren't very common. (not surprising)

satse
01-23-08, 01:59 PM
coke and wire brush gotcha...

just wondering... am I gonna have any difficulty pulling the clamps off?

called around the dealership want 225$ for a battery... if I go to walmart and get one, what do I have to look at? what is 91-600 is that the size? aparently our batteries aren't very common. (not surprising)

$225!! I think Walmart has one for around 50, which is what was in my car when I got it used. It lasted me 3 more years on top of the previous owner, possibly was still good when I replaced it. I got a good Interstate battery from Firestone for $100. Pulling the clamps are easy. I replaced my +ve clamp/cable terminal this year. Not too bad of a job except there isn't much wire to spare. Replacing the whole cable is a lot more involved and likely unnecessary. Check for heat around the clamps/wire to see if there is a good connection. Mine melted the battery cover it got so hot.

elvin315
01-23-08, 02:04 PM
A rare battery? Nonsense. Go to Sears and get a Diehard. I bought one last fall for under $150.

Elvin

rinverso
01-23-08, 02:20 PM
i went to advance auto. they tested it. it was weak. they installed a slightly higher amp battery for $98 out the door. no worries, robert:yup:
btw forget the stealership, unless you have an extended warranty.

cateraowner
01-23-08, 02:50 PM
cool.. I'll head to walmart today and pick one up.

the demensions are all I need to fit it right? any other specs I need to look for?

Thanks for all your help

elvin315
01-23-08, 02:54 PM
All you need to tell them is the year, make, and model of your car.

Elvin

batboy
01-23-08, 05:50 PM
They'll have a chart or some way to look up your car to see what battery will fit (if you can't find anyone to help you). Spend a few bucks more for the heavy duty version that has more cold cranking amps.

cateraowner
01-23-08, 11:04 PM
well you guys got it right on the nose.

I cleaned the terminals and jumped the car, and it worked and drove out to partsource to get the battery tested, and the battery was still good. cold crank amps were where its suppose to be.

so thanks for all your guy's help

and the coke worked like a charm.. just dissolved everything...

rinverso
01-24-08, 08:56 AM
good for you!!! and hey i was finally right!!
stay safe, robert!!:yup:

batboy
01-24-08, 06:40 PM
Glad I was of assistance and that you got it going ok. I've had to clean my share of battery cables.

cateraowner
01-24-08, 11:37 PM
thanks again guys.. I really appreciate it..

is there something I can put one the terminals to prevent the corrosion so I have to clean it less often?

cateraowner
02-06-08, 11:59 AM
ok so you guys know 2 weeks ago my battery died, then I trickle charged it and tested the battery and it was good. then the following week the alarm would got off for no apparent reason 5 times a day. which since I don't drive my car to work drained the battery, so I had to recharge it.

well over the weekend after charging the batter a walked around the car and noticed my passenger side break light was out. so I decided to pull the bulb (and replaced it 3 days later). and the bulb was completly black, but you can tell that one of the 2 elements were still intact. but the wierd thing is that ever since I pulled out the bulb, the alarm has not set once, and even my battery would not drain.

to me it's hard to imagine a burnt bulb will cause this and it could just be a coincedence, but I can't help but think there's a connection.

could the bulb have created a short of some kind and drained the battery, and cause the alarm to sound every time?

I'm just glad my cat is back to normal.

but ever since I pull