: Let the Blasting Begin

seabass
01-22-08, 07:39 PM
Well I took the 2000 Catera to the Caddy dealer to have them look at the coolant leak this morning. I had a pretty good ideal that it was the oil cooler that normally goes bad on a Catera of this age. BTW the car has 50k on in. Got a call from the shop that the Oil Cooler does need to be replaced and they also found a pretty good oil leak as well. Service manager says the Valve Covers need to be replaced. He said that doing just the gasket was not worth it because the covers warp and I will still have the same problem.

So here we go...I gave them my warranty paperwork and they were hesitant at first until they found out they would be billing a CCARD. Smartautowarranty is sending out an adjuster tomorrow afternoon to verify the repairs. Both items should be covered under the warranty. Total price to repair without warranty $1400. With warranty $100 Deductible. So keep your fingers crossed and I will keep everyone updated on what happens tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice at this point please do not hesitate. I am nervous that he warranty company will find a reason not to cover. But I am pretty sure I did everything right. I will post a copy of repair order when I get it.

Car is a lot of fun...But this is a make or break kind of thing. :banghead:

Another quick question. Like I said the car has 50k. Should I be looking at a Timing belt replacement yet? The dealership said it needs to be done at 60k.

Thanks everyone!!!

Cadi Cat
01-22-08, 07:49 PM
Well I took the 2000 Catera to the Caddy dealer to have them look at the coolant leak this morning. I had a pretty good ideal that it was the oil cooler that normally goes bad on a Catera of this age. BTW the car has 50k on in. Got a call from the shop that the Oil Cooler does need to be replaced and they also found a pretty good oil leak as well. Service manager says the Valve Covers need to be replaced. He said that doing just the gasket was not worth it because the covers warp and I will still have the same problem.

So here we go...I gave them my warranty paperwork and they were hesitant at first until they found out they would be billing a CCARD. Smartautowarranty is sending out an adjuster tomorrow afternoon to verify the repairs. Both items should be covered under the warranty. Total price to repair without warranty $1400. With warranty $100 Deductible. So keep your fingers crossed and I will keep everyone updated on what happens tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice at this point please do not hesitate. I am nervous that he warranty company will find a reason not to cover. But I am pretty sure I did everything right. I will post a copy of repair order when I get it.

Car is a lot of fun...But this is a make or break kind of thing. :banghead:

Another quick question. Like I said the car has 50k. Should I be looking at a Timing belt replacement yet? The dealership said it needs to be done at 60k.

Thanks everyone!!!

Make sure you tell them to clean the breather system real good. If not you'll be going back for valve covers and gaskets again. As for the timing belt, you might as well have it done while you are there.

rinverso
01-22-08, 10:01 PM
smart warranty is pretty good about approving work from the dealer. and you have seals and gaskets covered in your warranty. so don't worry. the thing with the timing belt unfortunately is the warranty company won't cover it until it fails.
so what will happen if it is starting to fray, is it will jump timing which of course will bend some valves and require headwork at the machine shop also.
its kind of good news, bad news.
don't forget, they also give you an allowance towards a rental car. up to seven days. if the dealer has a rental company at their location just let them know to tack it on to the bill.
good luck, robert:yup:

seabass
01-23-08, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice on the breather system and rental car guys. I will post again tonight with an update after the adjuster goes to the dealer.

PEETYZ
01-25-08, 10:13 PM
wow best of luck man i hope you can get it worked out After i got my 1998 many years back some seal went bad in engine needless to say they had to drop the tranny to access it and oh boy was i in luck i had the cadillac prewned 6 year 100,000 mile waranty and it was within a few month of being up I didnt pay a dime but and the bill was like 1,800 Your warranty sounds really good a 100 dollar deductible is great that can really come in handy

Oh and blasting on the car i had a dent looked at that i needed taken out and the guy said im suprised it's lasted that long I looked at him and said all you have to do is take care of it its a good car that does require some attention every now and then 113,000 still kickin strong i run the car at kil kare raceway in the summer and spring and it runs better than factory tests my best 16.1 factory says 16.5 new

mrplease
01-28-08, 12:11 PM
what was the outcome with the warranty company?