: bleeding cooling system?

CATMAN19
01-22-08, 03:39 PM
I just drained my catera cooling system is there any trick to bleeding it or just fill and run and check thanks just got it and wanted to see

Cadi Cat
01-22-08, 07:33 PM
I just drained my catera cooling system is there any trick to bleeding it or just fill and run and check thanks just got it and wanted to see

Just fill and check. I put my garden hose in the resevoir with the valve open and let it run for about 10 minutes to clean it out. But I also used the prestone Flush system. I guess it worked pretty well. The coolant is really clean now. I did this at the end of last summer. The "bleeding" you mention would refer to something you would do with the brake system.

Po Pimp
01-22-08, 08:13 PM
Cadi Cat, I believe the bleed procedure he speaks of is in referance to some GM 60* v6s that where out. Hell it has been so long I could not really how to do it but I do remember having to do it. Those are the only engines I have ever heard of having anything like that, there are probably more though.

One thing I would add and you probably already know is to only use Dex Cool or other equivilants (orange coolant).

Cadi Cat
01-22-08, 08:57 PM
Cadi Cat, I believe the bleed procedure he speaks of is in referance to some GM 60* v6s that where out. Hell it has been so long I could not really how to do it but I do remember having to do it. Those are the only engines I have ever heard of having anything like that, there are probably more though.

One thing I would add and you probably already know is to only use Dex Cool or other equivilants (orange coolant).

hmm, I don't think I have ever heard of that. I learn something new everyday.

batboy
01-22-08, 10:02 PM
You should be able to just fill it back up. There will probably be some air pockets in the water jackets, but they'll work themselves out. Just check the fluid level a couple times (when the engine ain't hot) in the next day or two. You might have to top it off a little.

10KTGOLD
01-22-08, 10:33 PM
You should be able to just fill it back up. There will probably be some air pockets in the water jackets, but they'll work themselves out. Just check the fluid level a couple times (when the engine ain't hot) in the next day or two. You might have to top it off a little.

untrue. when your filling your car. Put the front end higher than the rear (radiater higher than the heads) that way the air rises. after the car warms ,do the same thing.

batboy
01-23-08, 09:23 AM
I've done it both ways. Raising the front end might help a little when burping the air, but it's also work out fine doing it the way I described.