: 2007 was a GREAT year At the Movies...

Playdrv4me
01-22-08, 02:45 PM
After seeing the Oscar nomination rundown today I realized just how great a year 2007 was for the movies.

The 2000's have been utterly DISMAL for Cinema to the point that alot of industry insiders had absolutely lost faith in the medium altogether, then here comes 2007 with a SLEW of absolutely fantastic movies, even the ANIMATED features were great... (now now, I know the veterans here will tell me today's cinema is still crap compared to the glory days, but I'm talking about in comparison to the last 10 years).

So here's my top list for 2007, in some particular order, that I'm not really sure about. These are the movies that really brought Film back from the dead:

No Country for Old Men

Juno

There Will be Blood (It's a tossup between this and NCFOM right now)

Charlie Wilson's War

Eastern Promises

The Great Debaters

American Gangster

Reign Over Me

3:10 to Yuma

I'm withholding judgement on The Savages until it's released here where I am.

As for the actors themselves, Ellen Page (and to a lesser extent her co-star Michael Cera), Javier Bardem and Philip Seymour Hoffman (who was in both The Savages and Charlie Wilson) deserve some real praise. However, Daniel Day-Lewis' has an absolute gift for being able to so totally immerse himself in a role that you completely forget that he's an actor altogether. He doesn't do many films, but when he does, it is magic.