: Need Your Input Guys. Which header and cats?

CadiKing2006
01-21-08, 08:25 PM
Hey guys I have Magnaflow setup right now with X-pipe. I want to add headers and new cats as one of my factory CATS is done and I thought I might as well upgrade to headers and new CATS.

Someone mentioned getting full B&B setup but I dont want to unload my magnaflow and I dont have another $1000 to waste so Which headers and cats could mate to the X-pipe.

I did some research and found out TPIS Longtube headers and cats connect to factory resonator which is where my magnaflow x-pipe is and its the same diameter as factory resonator 2.5" so that should work fine right?

Any other headers that would connect to my x-pipe. BTW bolt on doesnt matter because I got my magnaflow X-pipe welded in so that can be done.:thepan:

Thanks

A1beshouri
01-21-08, 10:55 PM
While I like my kooks headers, I had alot of problems with the flanges warping which caused for about 4 blown header gaskets and then having the headers fully uninstalled and reinstalled and sending the headers to get machined to get fixed costing me over 1k. From what other members have said the warping flanges are a serious problem with the kooks headers, therefore i recomend the B&B if theyll fit to ur magnaflow, if not i really dont know much about TPIS

CadiKing2006
01-22-08, 12:10 AM
B&B is 3 inches right? Does anybody know if it would connect to the factory resonator. I have the X-pipe but its the same diameter as factory resonator 2.5"

heavymetals
01-22-08, 01:03 PM
You will have to get a reducer.

You can get those from JEGS or even J.C Whitney.

Not a big deal for any exhaust shop.

StealthViggen
01-22-08, 01:27 PM
No matter what you will have to have an exhaust shop involved. No header and Cat set will bolt to the factory exhaust flanges that mate to the factory manifolds and cats( only the old style B&B did I beleive ). The Kooks, stainless works, B&B, and TPIS all require "connector pipes" which require you to lop off the stock exhaust flanges just north of the resonator. Being that I remember you being in Toronto(as am i), you will need cats, so no way around this. If the TPIS ones on ebay come with Cat pipes for $850, then thats a good deal. Other "connector pipes" are in the $350-450 range with cats. Only thing is the TPIS set are not stainless, which doesn't matter too much since they are coated and will likely look better than stainless pipes for longer. You could also but the parts for the connector pipes for about $250ish( including hi flow cats, bungs, o2 extentions, and flanges) but then add another $100-150 for an exhaust shop to fab up, but then it doesn't look so bad to buy a prefabbed set.

FYI - I went Kooks and their catted pipes. Waiting till spring to install and tune with some other goodies

CadiKing2006
01-22-08, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info man. So the aftermarket cats liel TPIS or B&B also has space for O2 extension right?

StealthViggen
01-22-08, 01:36 PM
That's correct. The headers themselves will have an O2 bung in the merge collector, then there will be a 2nd one just after the cat on the connector pipe. You will need O2 extentions to for both spots, but these should come with the kit you buy, Else, they are pretty cheap on ebay (15 bucks or so).

Peter

TexasLonghorn
01-22-08, 02:15 PM
I have the TPIS Headers and connecting pipes with Magnaflow exhaust. The connecting pipes are minimal they are just the cats with a reducer and bung welded on. These pipes could be made by any exhaust shop with the purchase of high flow cats. The TPIS headers really are the best value out there I got mine brand new off Ebay with the connecting pipes for a total of about $875. This being said there were some minor problems. The connecting pipes do not line up all that well with the Magnaflow exhaust, so you will need to get some fabricating done. Get a good shop to do a clean job. The “performance” shop that I got to do mine didn’t do the greatest job. I might have another shop redo it later. Also, I thought I read on this board that American Racing Headers was going to build headers with connecting pipes that line up with Magnaflow exhaust. They build truly top notch headers, but of course they are pricey. I would expect them to cost at least $1500 with connecting pipes.

intragration
03-05-08, 07:19 PM
I don't have any experience with Kooks specific to Cadillac, but I have a set on my Formula (LS1) and they are excellent. I had a problem with my shop, and Kooks came through for me with flying colors. I would heartily recommend them and George.

SkullV
03-05-08, 08:56 PM
I just ordered Kooks, and I will be doing the install next week. I have a magnaflow with x pipe too, so I will let you know how the install goes!

trukk
03-06-08, 12:17 PM
I currently have kooks with their cats (magnaflow cats I think??). Previously I had RT cats (boltin replacements for OEM cats). The RT cats are hands down, WAY nicer than the ones that come with Kooks.

If I had it to do over again, I stay with the kooks headers, and then buy some generic 2.5" Random Tech cats, and have a mufflershow fab them in to my corsa exhaust.

If you do go the fab route, have the muffler shop weld all the connections on your magnaglow to prevent leaks later on.

With magnaflow + X-pipe + headers + High flow cats, your car is going to sound awesome.

-Chris

The Tony Show
03-06-08, 12:27 PM
My Kooks header flanges have leaked since day one with several different gaskets. PMs to Kooks have gone unanswered, so I'm going to recommend B&B.

CadiKing2006
03-07-08, 10:05 PM
I installed TPIS headers and here is wht it sounds like now

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEGSCM5VuM

Blairski
03-07-08, 11:42 PM
i ordered the Stainless Works full system. headers, cats, x pipe, (and resonator to switch if i want) and their full exhaust system. i had the whole thing jet hot coated from the headers to the mufflers too. should be here next week. they claim it adds 53 rwhp with a intake and tune. well see. but it sounds awesome. on you tube, search for - cts v exhaust comparison. they have 4 cars on there with different exhausts. the stainless works headers with magnaflow exhaust is the last car. pretty scary loud though. but i like it.

Rey
03-08-08, 11:50 AM
I have 60,000 miles on TPIS headers. Used the original flange gaskets. There has been no leaks whatsoever. The coating is holding like new with no flaking or chipping. No problems with the TPIS cats either.
Note, I known the owner of TPIS very well, but nevertheless this is my history with this product.

JonCR96Z
03-08-08, 12:30 PM
I've never had any problems with my Kooks. I also have a magnaflow catback and had to get a muffler shop to get it all together.

Jon

NormV
03-25-08, 05:29 PM
I picked up rgd's kooks with corsa connection/cats and mated them to stock exhaust minus muffler packing. You wouldn't even know the car has headers. :). Used stock gaskets with no problems.

Norm

CTSV_Rob
03-25-08, 05:34 PM
Pretty happy with the B&B's with the full cat back with the resonators. I would say you would know I have headers from the sound but it does sound nice. I have no leaks on the head to header interface but I had a little fun getting the 2 bolt flanges to seal. I currently have no leaks and very happy with the system.

Recommend the ARP studs though if your going to install them yourself.

BayLac510
03-27-08, 03:23 PM
Kooks Headers (coated), Off-Road Mid-Pipes (NO CATS!), Corsa Exhaust :bigD: