: I used Bar's leaks

investor74
01-21-08, 07:34 PM
Hi folks,

I tried to locate the coolant leak, but it is impossible - a spot of coolant under the front of the engine, a spot in the back, sometimes a spot on the right side, sometimes on the drivers side, etc. :confused: There might be more than one problem, or the coolant is finding different paths to the ground, but I could not lcoate it.

I caved and poured in Bar's leaks for coolant. So far, no dripping after about a week.:) The engine temp is still fine. I read all the positives and negatives on coolant sealer on the Internet, -it may clog up your radiator, heater core, etc, but I still figured it was worth a try compared to replacing everything trying to find the leak. I'll report back to you if I have any trouble (overheats, leaks, etc).

Barry

rinverso
01-23-08, 10:06 PM
i think it is definitly prayer time:halo:
good luck, robert

jimjimjimjim
03-11-08, 04:17 PM
Any issues since adding Bar's Leak?

BackStreet
03-12-08, 11:21 PM
I lost some coolant - no idea where.

I used Prestone Sealer with good results after 2 months.

Worst case I'll flush the system and locate the leak.

I also used Mobil 1 with gasket conditioner. The valve covers now seem dry.

investor74
03-13-08, 10:31 PM
Any issues since adding Bar's Leak?

So far, so good. Haven't lost any coolant and the car temp still is fine, so I assume that no openings have been blocked or anything.:thumbsup: Had the car for 11 years and this is the first time I tried the stop leak for coolant in this car.

BTW, I tried stop leak for oil for my oil leak over the years and did not have the same degree of success. :thepan:It seems to stop or slow the oil leak for a few months and then it stops working. The oil leak version can only stop a limited range of oil leaks - usually by swelling a gasket.

callingmonroe
03-16-08, 09:22 AM
If it is in different places my bet would be the water pump. Have you replaced that yet and if not costly becasue of what is in the way of it. I think my dad paid about 800 to have his replaced b4 I got the car.

Army_MP_From_MO
03-22-08, 11:17 PM
All that crap says it won't hurt your cooling system and helps lubricate your water pump. What a bunch of poo! Your just slowing the problem. My opinion is take care of the problem now and have your piece of mind that it won't leave you stranded. Of course, I live in the desert and getting stranded outside of a city around here sucks. lol

PEETYZ
04-07-08, 10:53 AM
no clogs in heatercore or anyt5hing using it? how is it now? heat and everything still work good?

investor74
04-08-08, 09:46 AM
no clogs in heatercore or anyt5hing using it? how is it now? heat and everything still work good?

Still hanging in there. Good temperature, heater works great, no leaks.

Barry.

darksky47
04-29-08, 10:31 AM
if it is your water pump you can do it yourself it looks hard by looking at it but it's not i just replaced mind and it too about two hours save your money and try it and get the water pump on ebay for about $35.00.

R-Caddy
05-10-08, 06:06 PM
I poured a bottle in today. Hopefully that will run the gremlins out of my cooling system...:rant2:

wildrage
05-10-08, 11:37 PM
I hope you have good luck. Some idiot poured the Barrs leak into my overflow tank...I just finished scrubbing all that crap out of there. After seing the mess it leaves, I don't think I would pour it into any of my future cars - it's pretty nasty.

I think my thermostat is sticking, and I'm thinking that there's a good possibility that the Barrs leak might be the culprit. I'll post a picture of it when I pull it out next week if it indeed is the problem.

Like I said, I hope it works for you. It looks like people either love it or hate it. My Eldorado with Northstar actually recommends adding it (and I do). I just wonder if there can be some potentially negative effects - like if it clumps in the thermostat or on temp. sensors.

Good luck.

Jesda
05-11-08, 02:45 AM
Which Barsleak product did you use? The light powder is very useful. The silver flakes will destroy your cooling system and is a product made by another manufacturer for Bars Products.

pompste
05-15-08, 08:35 PM
Which Barsleak product did you use? The light powder is very useful. The silver flakes will destroy your cooling system and is a product made by another manufacturer for Bars Products.

That`s correct-----the Bars Leak golden colored powder is the best one to use.

R-Caddy
05-19-08, 10:04 PM
NOW you guys tell me :rant2:

pompste
05-30-08, 11:07 PM
I had a very minor coolant leak (few drips a day) coming from my water pump a year ago.I put 2 tubes of bars leaks golden powder in the radiator and not a drop has leaked for a year.The stuff is designed for small leaks and is recommended for the 4.9 litre engine.

drsyn67
01-14-12, 06:55 PM
~ so its been a few years since individuals who replied to this thread have posted. I am curious how long the Bar's Leaks product lasted for each of you? This question is for the following posters to this thread: Investor74, Backstreet and R-Caddy.

hgqguy
01-15-12, 11:07 AM
If anyone needs a w/p i have a new delco i bought for my catera, but then the warranty covered it, so I got a new one for $80. so I have this new one from ebay, delco, witht he o ring, $25 if anyone wants it.
the job is a 2.7 hr job to replace. so your looking under $300 at a shop with their new waterpump. Its actually a pretty simple job, pll serp belt, and front cover.. there you are.. it just looks worse at first.
I paid $725ish for my waterpump, timing belt and tentioners and labor. the timing stuff was $405 of that and $60 was tax so only 240 was labor and w/p
Also.... our cars have an aux waterpump!!! mine went bad it left coolant on the left portion of the front of the car, i dont recall exactly where.

ther eis a shroud under the front of your engine, and depending on how car is parked coolant can leak onto it then run off based on angle of car! that may be why u see it in differant locations!!