: It's amazing how many people still don't know what a Cadillac is...

Lord Cadillac
01-21-08, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to pick up a CTS or CTS-V for his next car. He currently drives a Mercedes and before that, a BMW. I've been trying to get him to the local dealership - and he's been starting to point it out when he sees a CTS.

Yesterday, we were out to lunch when a CTS-V pulled up. The owner was about 75, so that might not have been the greatest for "image", but I started telling him about how fast it was. I mentioned 550hp in the 2009 - and he started getting more interested.

Once outside, he walked up to the car and realized it had a 6 speed. He couldn't believe it. Now he's Really interested.

Before that, when telling him about 550hp in the new 09 CTS-V, he said, "Why?! In a Cadillac...". He really had no idea that Cadillac made cars to compete with AMG and the M cars. Before yesterday, any time he heard about horsepower in a Cadillac, he thought it was for towing.

Cadillac really needs to work harder at getting people to realize that Cadillacs aren't what they used to be. Not that there's anything wrong with Classic Cadillacs - they just don't sell those anymore...

Brett
01-21-08, 06:24 PM
if only there were a website out there with information about Cadillac's. Some type of "community" where people could learn about Cadillac's new generation of cars.

Lord Cadillac
01-21-08, 07:22 PM
if only there were a website out there with information about Cadillac's. Some type of "community" where people could learn about Cadillac's new generation of cars.
Good idea. Wanna help me start one?

Brett
01-21-08, 07:41 PM
I think they have accomplished some goals. It is definitely a more highly regarded brand with younger people than it used to be. I think that they ended up attracting a different group of young people than they originally set out for though.

Lord Cadillac
01-21-08, 08:01 PM
Some people are just too close-minded to ever realize there's been change...

CadillacSTS42005
01-21-08, 08:18 PM
lol
ive owned a lac since 19 and i doubt itll change

Brett
01-21-08, 10:06 PM
exactly my point

orconn
01-22-08, 10:24 PM
You guys are probably too young to remember when Mercedes were sold by Studebaker dealers and BMW's had one door that opened to front taking the collapsible steering wheel with it! Yes, times and market perceptions change ......... today Mercedes and BMW position really isn't back up by the facts: they are having so much trouble with reliability that eventually the cars prestige will deteriorate, just as Cadillac's after years of producing cars that were a mere shadow of what established their previous leadership in the luxury car field. Let's face the Cadillacs of the '70's and '80's were junk compared with their European competition. They were slow pigs that Cadillac thought would sell on the basis of perceived prestige. When I sold my 1976 Seville after 8 years of waiting for Cadillac to produce something that would get out of its own way or either didn't look like a "pimp mobile" (old meaning of "Pimp" not the current usage) or that it's mother was overtaken by a subcompact in need of relief, I didn't buy another Cadillac for twenty years finding the Europeans much more to my taste ........Jaguars in particular. So I am not suprised that the young and old status seekers, haven't gravitated to Cadillac yet. It will take a long time for Cadillac to regain a more prominent position among those who aspire to the luxury ranks ......... and can afford to buy a car the fulfills their apirations NEW!

MauiV
01-23-08, 09:36 PM
I left the dealer today after getting my "service ac system" light checked out and a cop pulled up next to me and rolled his window down. He said "is that thing a stick? It looks like your shifting", so I said yeah, its a 6 speed. He was as suprised as all the rest and asked whats it have in it. An aluminum 350, just like a Vette. So of couse the next question was "How fast you had it?" and of course my answer to a cop in uniform in his cruiser is "70 mph, but Ive heard it will leave 4th at 125". He just laughed and the light changed and I went 0-50 in about 3.5 seconds on him.

ryannel2003
01-25-08, 07:48 PM
Yeah I know a kid who really believes that all Cadillac's are old people cars. I have told him about the new CTS and how its a great car and can easily compete with BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, etc. and he still has doubts. He is still reminded of the Seville, Deville, and Eldorado (I personally love all of those cars; especially Seville STS). But the fact of the matter is, I haven't seen a buyer over the age of 60 looking at the '08 CTS at my dealer. They all flock to the CTS and DTS.

70eldo
02-04-08, 08:09 AM
I just read an article in the newspaper here about where the police pulled over traffic for random alcohol tests. A famous teen idol rock star was spotted in a... Chevrolet Escalade...

how sad!!!

At least the rock star was sober.

Playdrv4me
02-05-08, 12:52 AM
You guys are probably too young to remember when Mercedes were sold by Studebaker dealers and BMW's had one door that opened to front taking the collapsible steering wheel with it! Yes, times and market perceptions change ......... today Mercedes and BMW position really isn't back up by the facts: they are having so much trouble with reliability that eventually the cars prestige will deteriorate!

WHY do people do this? Why is it that instead of leveraging the strengths of the brand you love and defending what's good about it, you throw out a generalized attack against the competition? This is the worst way to make your point. After that I just quit reading.

Yes, MERCEDES (not BMW) reliability had been in the tank for along time, but they are working to restore it, and let me tell you, their prestige isn't going anywhere, and Cadillac needs to NEVER EVER let the thought that they don't need to compete against Mercedes creep in for ANY REASON. They are on the right track now, they just need to keep it up.

Changing perceptions takes time, that's all there is to it.

Playdrv4me
02-05-08, 01:00 AM
Speaking of perception. Cadillac isn't really the brand that's having to deal with this anywhere near the level of Buick.

Recently, GM has been airing Buick ads that feature people or Tiger Woods stating that this "new" Buick changes their perceptions of how buick was for "old people" before. I commend them for trying to enforce the change ideal, but this might not be the right way to do it. The change needs to speak for itself rather than condemning what the brand used to be. Self attacks just don't work, and they alienate however few of those older traditional buyers you still had left.

AJxtcman
02-05-08, 07:35 AM
This is a big and complex issue. Cadillac/GM depending on whom you listen to want the BMW plan for Cadillac. I say the BMW plan because that is what they call it.

BMW has the following
New 1 Series starting under $30K
The 3 Series that has a good legacy. It starts at $30K and goes to $50K
Next is the 5 Series starting at the $44k and goes to $55k
Next is the 6 Series this runs $75K to $84K
Then the 7 Series this is a $75K to $125K
The Z car that run from $36K to $43K
Then you have the M cars. That adds about $20 to the car.

Cadillac has
The CTS this was the 3 Series
The STS was the 5 Series
The DTS does not really line up, but maybe its another 5 Series
The XLR is a 6 or 7 Series.

Now they messed that all up with the new CTS
It will be a 3 Series, 5 Series, and the new coupe will be the 6 Series.
This killed the STS You can't have a 3 series nicer than a 5 series.

Now the DTS must change into a 7 Series. It has been replaced, but we don't know what it looks like until the Detroit auto show next year. Will this be a ULS or a XLS?

This put the XLR at or above a 7 series
Then add the V Series to all of them.

Now I have stated that I have heard rumors of a Kappa/Solstice Cadillac coupe maybe with a 300hp V6. That could be the 1 Series.

BMW make Money! Cadillac can become a stronger part of GM wth this plan.

70eldo
02-05-08, 03:27 PM
This is a big and complex issue. Cadillac/GM depending on whom you listen to want the BMW plan for Cadillac. I say the BMW plan because that is what they call it.

BMW has the following
New 1 Series starting under $30K
The 3 Series that has a good legacy. It starts at $30K and goes to $50K
Next is the 5 Series starting at the $44k and goes to $55k
Next is the 6 Series this runs $75K to $84K
Then the 7 Series this is a $75K to $125K
The Z car that run from $36K to $43K
Then you have the M cars. That adds about $20 to the car.

Cadillac has
The CTS this was the 3 Series
The STS was the 5 Series
The DTS does not really line up, but maybe its another 5 Series
The XLR is a 6 or 7 Series.

Now they messed that all up with the new CTS
It will be a 3 Series, 5 Series, and the new coupe will be the 6 Series.
This killed the STS You can't have a 3 series nicer than a 5 series..
It is the media who cannot decide to compare it with the 3 or the 5. But it will compete with the 5, since in a few years the CTS will be the CT5. The BT3 will compete with the 3 and the AT1 with the 1.

Now the DTS must change into a 7 Series. It has been replaced, but we don't know what it looks like until the Detroit auto show next year. Will this be a ULS or a XLS?.
It will be the Cadillac DT7

This put the XLR at or above a 7 series
Then add the V Series to all of them.

Now I have stated that I have heard rumors of a Kappa/Solstice Cadillac coupe maybe with a 300hp V6. That could be the 1 Series.

BMW make Money! Cadillac can become a stronger part of GM wth this plan.

I am just happy Cadillac also has some exclusiveness, different from the competition. So they don't only follow, they also lead...

lbwd
02-05-08, 06:03 PM
I just read an article in the newspaper here about where the police pulled over traffic for random alcohol tests. A famous teen idol rock star was spotted in a... Chevrolet Escalade...

how sad!!!

At least the rock star was sober.

LOL! A Chevrolet Escalade. :eek: Have you seen the new Cadillac Suburban?