: I am concidering going with a catera

Crown Vic Owner
01-20-08, 12:37 PM
Simple as that.

I want a catera, they are cheap, i am not sure if i want a manual or auto, and thats why i am here asking.

What should i get, manual or auto, what am i getting myself into.

Better yet, list ALL the problems you have encountered, the popular problems, you know, like how the N*s blow HGs

also, what are you getting MPG wise

todd2fst4u
01-20-08, 01:05 PM
you wont find one with a manual transmission, simple as that

Crown Vic Owner
01-20-08, 01:36 PM
i thought a few came with mannys?

rinverso
01-20-08, 02:24 PM
you can easily go into the archives and search. or just scroll down on the forum and see a few other recent posts having to do with people looking to purchase a cat. good luck!! robert:yawn:

todd2fst4u
01-20-08, 02:24 PM
i thought a few came with mannys?

nope, you won't be able to find one

sccatera97
01-20-08, 10:07 PM
All Catera's came with a 4l30e automatice transmission. The CTS ( a second generation Catera, if you will) has an option for a manual - CTS-V series come to mind.
I have found that the major problems arise from lack of maintenace which in it self was bad marketing Cadillac's part. The Catera came out at the rise of the Northstar V8 - no major maintenace before 100,000 miles and that jazz. Then you have a v6 that requires regular timing belt changes and there you have it. No maintenance and blown head gaskets and broken timing belts. I have a Catera that has app 120,000 and have had no problem with the engine but I have maintained it.
The 1997's had ABS module problems(like mine) and really not much else, with mine anyway.

Crown Vic Owner
01-20-08, 11:35 PM
i was considering a 97 myself, but i saw that thread at the top, and i wanted to run, so i dont know

yellowxhoodie
01-21-08, 01:44 AM
id highly advise you to stay away from the catera, but if you absolutely have your mind set on it, go with a 2000 or 2001 as they have way less problems.
and as it was said early, use the search feature, theres a toooon of ppl asking if they should buy cateras, and me and a couple of the other regulars on here tell them the same things everytime.
so search and happy reading!

Jesda
01-21-08, 02:11 AM
Run as far away as you can.

Crown Vic Owner
01-21-08, 09:55 AM
its 2200 dollars.

it runs without issues, so im still tempted.

mrplease
01-21-08, 10:42 AM
that $2200 will end up costing you $10,000 within a year...

inconnu
01-21-08, 11:00 AM
its 2200 dollars.

it runs without issues, so im still tempted.

$2200 is not cheap,1997 shouldnt go for more than 1000 bucks,depending on the miles.I used to have a 97,if i will buy another catera no not unless it is 2000 2001.
Regards.

seabass
01-21-08, 12:02 PM
Here is my two cents. I just purchased a 2000 Catera with 47k on the clock. It qualified for a inexpensive warranty from a aftermarket company. If you can get a warranty then I would get the car. If not I would think long and hard. The car is great but it is not a Camry and will require maintenance. Very costly if you are out of pocket. I used SmartAutoWarranty.com ask for a guy named Richard Robbins. Tell him Jason Varis sent you. I think I get a little cheese for the referral. Anyway, like I said I did a ton of research on this car. Just look up my user-name Seabass and see all the info. You will get everything you need to know.

Good Luck.

:)

seabass
01-21-08, 12:07 PM
that $2200 will end up costing you $10,000 within a year...

Not that you are wrong in any way but were you wronged in another life by a Catera? When I was buying one you said the same things. Do you even own one? I don't remember from when I first started posting if you have ever had the pleasure of a Catera in garage. Like I said before you are correct especially on the 97-99. They are absolute pigs. Mine has been good so far. I did start to get the dreaded coolant leak so it is going into the shop soon but I am armed with my shiny warranty. We shall see. Have a great day...

mrplease
01-21-08, 01:03 PM
i'm assuming that if someone can only afford $2200 for a car they cant afford an aftermarket warranty.

also he is looking at buying a 97 not a 2000-2001.

satse
01-21-08, 01:30 PM
The problems I've had (over 4 years): Heater Bypass Valve, rocker cover gaskets, control solenoid for SAIS, rear wheel bearing, positive battery cable connection, one O2 sensor. If you have patience, most of the problems can be addressed by an amateur and at minimal cost. I took the car to the dealer for the rocker gaskets and they stole $700 from me for that. 2 years after that, I thought it would be easier to have them do the spark plugs (they wanted $150, I believe). Needless to say they tried saying the rocker gaskets were bad again. Actually they never removed the oil from the spark plug wells. So I did that and the spark plugs on my own. My battery went dead on a 1 year old Interstate battery. Autozone tells me the alternator is bad, but I found the positive cable near the battery to be hot and changed the connector myself for $3. When it was leaking coolant slowly, the dealer said it was the HBV and wanted $300 to do that (took me 10 minutes and $50 genuine part) and they also noticed $2000 in gaskets needed to be replaced on the engine due to leaking oil (never have a drop on the ground and it never needs topping off).

If you buy the car, just understand the dealers will screw you. Be willing to fix the problems yourself and you'll love the catera like I do. Mine's a '98.

mrplease
01-21-08, 02:18 PM
The problems I've had (over 4 years): Heater Bypass Valve, rocker cover gaskets, control solenoid for SAIS, rear wheel bearing, positive battery cable connection, one O2 sensor. If you have patience, most of the problems can be addressed by an amateur and at minimal cost. I took the car to the dealer for the rocker gaskets and they stole $700 from me for that. 2 years after that, I thought it would be easier to have them do the spark plugs (they wanted $150, I believe). Needless to say they tried saying the rocker gaskets were bad again. Actually they never removed the oil from the spark plug wells. So I did that and the spark plugs on my own. My battery went dead on a 1 year old Interstate battery. Autozone tells me the alternator is bad, but I found the positive cable near the battery to be hot and changed the connector myself for $3. When it was leaking coolant slowly, the dealer said it was the HBV and wanted $300 to do that (took me 10 minutes and $50 genuine part) and they also noticed $2000 in gaskets needed to be replaced on the engine due to leaking oil (never have a drop on the ground and it never needs topping off).

If you buy the car, just understand the dealers will screw you. Be willing to fix the problems yourself and you'll love the catera like I do. Mine's a '98.

see, wow... this is just unbelievable to me. i mean all the problems this car has. for around the same price anyone can get a lincoln LS that is a direct competitor to a catera which is twice the car & without any of the problems. and was the motor trend car of the year in 2000, an award that the catera would never have been considered for.

now i have always loved the look of cateras and almost bought one years ago, but was scared away by the problems.

right now i currently own...

2005 cadillac CTS (which i am considering selling to buy a 2008 CTS): no problems
2005 lincoln aviator: oil filter adapter leak (cost $300 to fix), no other problems
2002 lincoln towncar: had to replace alternator, no other problems
2002 lincoln LS (which is my company car and i have put a very hard 50,000 miles in two years): problem free! not one problem which i know not one catera owner can say

and all the problems that this catera owner said? of all the cars i've EVER owned in my entire life i haven't had that many problems PUT TOGETHER. its just crazy all the problems these cars have...

satse
01-21-08, 04:34 PM
see, wow... this is just unbelievable to me. i mean all the problems this car has. for around the same price anyone can get a lincoln LS that is a direct competitor to a catera which is twice the car & without any of the problems. and was the motor trend car of the year in 2000, an award that the catera would never have been considered for.

now i have always loved the look of cateras and almost bought one years ago, but was scared away by the problems.

right now i currently own...

2005 cadillac CTS (which i am considering selling to buy a 2008 CTS): no problems
2005 lincoln aviator: oil filter adapter leak (cost $300 to fix), no other problems
2002 lincoln towncar: had to replace alternator, no other problems
2002 lincoln LS (which is my company car and i have put a very hard 50,000 miles in two years): problem free! not one problem which i know not one catera owner can say

and all the problems that this catera owner said? of all the cars i've EVER owned in my entire life i haven't had that many problems PUT TOGETHER. its just crazy all the problems these cars have...

My point was that there are a few annoying problems with the car that many owners can tackle on their own. Aside from the wheel bearing, the other things could have been fixed for under $400 in parts and a few hours on the weekend. That's not too bad for a car in its 11th year. If only the dealers could be more honest...

rinverso
01-21-08, 06:06 PM
i'm assuming that if someone can only afford $2200 for a car they cant afford an aftermarket warranty.

also he is looking at buying a 97 not a 2000-2001.

i doubt most extended warranty companies offer warranties for cars with more than 100,000 miles or more than 10 years old. i have an 01 cat and the warranty saved my butt BIG TIME this year. i doubt i would have kept the cat if it weren't for the warranty.
robert:bigroll:
btw, still love the look and feel of the car!!!:bouncy:
ps that new cts is very impressive looking, much better than whatever that new midsize lincoln that took the place of the LS:rant2:

yellowxhoodie
01-21-08, 07:16 PM
seriosuly...dont do it.
i bought a 2000 for about $5000 and now im around $8000 in debt. just from the car.
it runs fine now, but just wait till u start driving it.
the problems will pile on quicker than you can imagine.
dont me wrong its a real fun car.
but unless you have extra cash to burn and alot of time to work on it.
then its not a car for you.
trust us.
all us Catera owners are saying no.

mrplease
01-21-08, 07:38 PM
i doubt most extended warranty companies offer warranties for cars with more than 100,000 miles or more than 10 years old. i have an 01 cat and the warranty saved my butt BIG TIME this year. i doubt i would have kept the cat if it weren't for the warranty.
robert:bigroll:
btw, still love the look and feel of the car!!!:bouncy:
ps that new cts is very impressive looking, much better than whatever that new midsize lincoln that took the place of the LS:rant2:

oh yeah, the cts kills anything lincoln has to offer. and for the most part cadillac kills lincoln anyway...

mrplease
01-21-08, 07:39 PM
seriosuly...dont do it.
i bought a 2000 for about $5000 and now im around $8000 in debt. just from the car.
trust us.

THANK YOU!!!!! thats what i'm trying to say... even a catera owner says a big fat NO!

Crown Vic Owner
01-21-08, 08:31 PM
I raced a catera in the vic today

he lost horribly.

Looks like ill be looking for another vic 03+ so i can get longtubes.

elvin315
01-21-08, 09:08 PM

Excuse me? Who made you my spokesman? Don't count me among your numbers. Even with my recent CPS problem I have no regrets. You can sing the praises of the new Cadillacs or the Lincoln LS all you want. And that includes Japanese sporty cars. I'm not spending my money on cars I don't like the looks of.

I don't like new Cadillac stealth fighter look with all its flat surfaces and sharp creases. Same for the Lincoln's look. What ever its called it isn't sporty. Just a mid-size Continental. And I've had my share of souless Japanese cars. The Catera was a car born to cruise the autobahn and charge the Alpine switchbacks. I bought the Catera because it was an Opel, not because it was a Cadillac.

Maybe I should have bought a BMW. But have their problems too and I couldn't have bought a 2001 Series 3 for the money I paid for my Catera. I love the smooth aerodynamic lines of the Catera. I love the ride and handling.

I've said it before. If you're looking for a dependable daily driver, the kind you can ignore maintenance schedules and subject to abuse, the Catera isn't for you. If you want a driver's car that, like a thoroughbred horse, requires attention .............. welcome aboard.

Elvin

sccatera97
01-21-08, 10:02 PM
I agree with Elvin, a car is only as good as its maintainer. I don't care what kind of car it is, if you don't maintain it, it will fail. If you want to see how much a Catera is worth, check Ebay, you won't find a good one for $2200. I say look at it and take it to a mechanic you trust, then decide. As far as a Crown Vic, I have much experience as a former police officer. Top speed with a light bar, about 118 mph, a Catera, speed limited to 130 mph. May not be as quick but faster.

mrplease
01-21-08, 11:48 PM
hey i do like the looks of the catera. my friends know i like them and give me a hard time about it. whenever they see a corsica or a geo they go "hey, there's one of those cateras you like..." it is kinda funny cause they do look like'em a little bit. especially at a glance. but the thing is they're looking real old, real fast.

also, the original poster said he was considering a $2200 1997 catera. now elvin, i know you'd even stay away from that one. you've got a nice newer 2001 sport. not a $2200 97 with who knows how many miles...

i'd still like a 2001 catera sport though, with about 40,000 miles max. i just don't know what i'd use it for.

rinverso
01-22-08, 12:00 AM
seriosuly...dont do it.
trust us.

i never said no, but i would go for a 2000, 2001 cat. for about $2000 more.
robert:eek:
although at this point i think crown vic is just playing with us anyway. stick to your aarp car, jack it up and put on some spinners.:thepan:

yellowxhoodie
01-22-08, 11:48 AM
ok...well not everyone is saying no.
how about this.
we should all just keep our mouths shut and let you search through the catera forum on here,
go through about 3 or 4 pages of threads.
just look at how many are problems and read up.
then make your own decision.

Crown Vic Owner
01-22-08, 12:11 PM
i never said no, but i would go for a 2000, 2001 cat. for about $2000 more.
robert:eek:
although at this point i think crown vic is just playing with us anyway. stick to your aarp car, jack it up and put on some spinners.:thepan:

nah, i am a guy who gets a tune and longtube headers

mrplease
01-22-08, 01:12 PM
so are you still considering the 97 catera?

Crown Vic Owner
01-22-08, 01:26 PM
neg

It was a peice

Cadi Cat
01-22-08, 01:27 PM
I agree with Elvin, a car is only as good as its maintainer. I don't care what kind of car it is, if you don't maintain it, it will fail. If you want to see how much a Catera is worth, check Ebay, you won't find a good one for $2200. I say look at it and take it to a mechanic you trust, then decide. As far as a Crown Vic, I have much experience as a former police officer. Top speed with a light bar, about 118 mph, a Catera, speed limited to 130 mph. May not be as quick but faster.

yes, off the line just about any car will beat the catera. But it accelerates like a bullet on the highway, and then just about every car has a hard time keeping up. I know this!:D

Crown Vic Owner
01-23-08, 12:18 AM
yes, off the line just about any car will beat the catera. But it accelerates like a bullet on the highway, and then just about every car has a hard time keeping up. I know this!:D

Crown vic was electronically limited, mine IS NOT due to a tune.

A tune makes a hell of alot on those cars.

Cadi Cat
01-23-08, 12:28 AM
how about this.
we should all just keep our mouths shut and let you search through the catera forum on here,

or you can just keep up on the maintence and not let everything go to crap like a true moter fan and have the only car of this type on the road and feel good about it. At least that's the person I am. I have never seen a silver 2000 sport with tinted windows in as good as shape as mine. I love it. But I think it's time for you to retire in the catera forums. It was nice trading info with you. Hope your scion treats you well!!

mrplease
01-23-08, 01:41 AM
how about this.

werd

yellowxhoodie
01-23-08, 11:03 AM
or you can just keep up on the maintence and not let everything go to crap like a true moter fan and have the only car of this type on the road and feel good about it. At least that's the person I am. I have never seen a silver 2000 sport with tinted windows in as good as shape as mine. I love it. But I think it's time for you to retire in the catera forums. It was nice trading info with you. Hope your scion treats you well!!

i think i had one of the nicest black cateras out there with tinted windows, but i gave that car everything i had, i even missed work and school several days to work on it, i gave it all my time and money, and it just kept breaking down. And dont worry, at least my Scion wont break down like the Craptera. And if it does at least toyota will stand behind it and not ignore the car like cadillac did with the catera.

elvin315
01-23-08, 11:35 AM
at least my Scion wont break down like the Craptera.

This is why people here are jumping on you. When you had your Catera everyone here supported you and admired the work you had done on your car. If you had troubles people tried to help. I'm sorry you had so much trouble that you were forced to give it up but to now do an about face and comment this way on the car we still love and own is a slap in our faces. I'm happy you are enjoying your tC but are the insulting comments necessary? I guess maybe I'm expecting too much maturity from a teenager.

Elvin

yellowxhoodie
01-23-08, 11:44 AM
actually, if you were to meet me, youd find out that im probably one of the most mature 18 year olds out there. However, i did not come on here and start blatantly bashing the Catera. It was only after i recommended people stay away from it unless they had alot of time and money, that i began to get negative feedback. The members on here who i though were friendly and helpfull, all of the sudden, became rude and sterotypical. They immediatly came back with comments about ricers, and sterotyping me becuase im 18. DOnt get me wrong, the Catera was a fun car and a pleasure to own...while it was working, but after so much i just oculdnt take it anymore. I go to work and school full time so i need a reliable car, and i also like to work on my cars. The Scion was just a good option for all the things i wanted cuz its more reliable then my Catera was and theres also alot more mods available for it. Im not here to start trouble or argue, i just got defensive because everyone jumped on my case when i was merely stating my opinion as to whether some guys should buy a Catera or not.

mrplease
01-23-08, 12:29 PM
What I got from yellow is that he was being helpful, and let a potential catera buyer be aware of what a nightmare they might get into. So they get some good opinions and bad opinions and make up their minds themselves.

He didn't say anything offensive! He was brutally honest if anything. A lot of the times people don't like to hear the truth, which is why I believe everyone got so offensive towards him...

Message posted from an iPhone

yellowxhoodie
01-23-08, 12:34 PM
thank you!
at least someone on here is seeing things from the same perspective as me.
while ill admit that i did say some things that may be offensive.
that was only after i was offended, so i became defensive.

Cadi Cat
01-23-08, 07:01 PM
I saw a scion in the ditch off the highway this morning on the way to work. I laughed! It must not have had stability control. :histeric:

CadMan4life
01-24-08, 01:14 AM
mines a 98' with 87800k. Never had 1 problem with it.

yellowxhoodie
01-24-08, 02:04 AM
I saw a scion in the ditch off the highway this morning on the way to work. I laughed! It must not have had stability control. :histeric:

i wouldve laughed too.
and sadly i saw a Catera in the side of the highway the other day broke down.
i laughed for a minute, not because im a dick, but just because that used to be me stuck on the side of the road. Just brough back memories and i couldnt really help but laugh at all the troubles i had.

elvin315
01-24-08, 05:42 AM
This thread has outlived its usefulness. It certainly isn't doing Crown Vic any good. Could we agree to stop the sniping and move on?

rinverso
01-24-08, 08:53 AM
This thread has outlived its usefulness. It certainly isn't doing Crown Vic any good. Could we agree to stop the sniping and move on?

sounds like hillary and obama:banghead: couldn't agree more though...
stay warm up there, robert