: Help plz!

DMEYER07
01-20-08, 01:19 PM
So this morning it was -20 degrees. Today i was in a hurry and for some reason thought i had started my car to warm up but hadn't, so long story short i ened up letting it idle for about a minute then slowly drove off to work. After the highway i noticed my low oil light was on, and a strong stench of burning. Well i couldn't inspect it, i was at work and had to go. Afterwork i pop the hood and everything looks a ok, so i drive home.

Same thing happens low oil light, and strong burning stench. Oil pressure is perfect, engine temp slowly climbing. I pull over pop the hood and smoke gushes out, i look under the hood and oil is dripping out sorta fast. Anti freeze is warm so i konw that it was doing its job....

I finally drove it home (no phone for a ride :( ) and parked it, opened the hood and more smoke..

What the hell happened? Did the antifreeze possibly freeze and crack something?
The last owner was a dink, and i have no idea when it was last changed, i was going to do it but never got to it :thepan:

Thanks!
0Dave

rinverso
01-20-08, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=DMEYER07;1373497]So this morning it was -20 degrees. Today i was in a hurry and for some reason thought i had started my car to warm up but hadn't, so long story short i ened up letting it idle for about a minute then slowly drove off to work. After the highway i noticed my low oil light was on, and a strong stench of burning. Well i couldn't inspect it, i was at work and had to go. Afterwork i pop the hood and everything looks a ok, so i drive home.

Same thing happens low oil light, and strong burning stench. Oil pressure is perfect, engine temp slowly climbing. I pull over pop the hood and smoke gushes out, i look under the hood and oil is dripping out sorta fast. Anti freeze is warm so i konw that it was doing its job....

I finally drove it home (no phone for a ride :( ) and parked it, opened the hood and more smoke..

possible oil cooler, especially if the oil hadn't been changed in that cold weather. the oil viscosity gets heavy, and the passages in the cooler are fairly narrow. so check when you can and locate the source of the leak. good luck! robert:eek:

DMEYER07
01-20-08, 03:42 PM
i had recently changed to synthetic oil, aprx a month ago..
Thnx for the info so far

sccatera97
01-20-08, 08:50 PM
Check the valve covers, Catera's are known for valve cover leaks.