: GMPD Sway Bar question

crankedupforit
01-20-08, 10:13 AM
I'm ready in a few weeks to do a bunch of bolt on mods I have sitting in the garage. Kooks, cats, FG2s, and GMPD sway bars from Lindsay.

Question. What is the significance of the two diiferent hole sets for mounting the rear GMPD sway bar? Also I remember a previous thread where the front GMPD bar would slide around. Anyone have that problem and know how to solve it? Luke? You hear anything?

Mike

Rey
01-20-08, 10:24 AM
Generally speaking, mfgs of aftermarket sway bars put two mounting holes for the rear linkage in order to give the buyer an option of adjusting understeer/oversteer vis a vie making the action more stiff. Obvously, the outboard mounting hole will make the bar action less stiff than the inner mounting hole. A stiffer rear bar tends to make the car comparatively oversteer.

NormV
01-20-08, 10:54 AM
Looks like it is "hit or miss" with stock spring rates. With Eibach springs you'll love the inner hole on the rear bar.

If you have never felt oversteer before start with the outer hole then hit an onramp. :)

Norm

crankedupforit
01-20-08, 12:05 PM
Generally speaking, mfgs of aftermarket sway bars put two mounting holes for the rear linkage in order to give the buyer an option of adjusting understeer/oversteer vis a vie making the action more stiff. Obvously, the outboard mounting hole will make the bar action less stiff than the inner mounting hole. A stiffer rear bar tends to make the car comparatively oversteer.

Rey
I see your point to reduce oversteer you reduced rear roll stiffness and increased front roll stiffness. That front bar is massive. My new FG2s should help control the stock spring oscillations which reduce weight transfer as well. I'm thinking maybe the outboard hole should be fine.

Bueller
01-20-08, 12:22 PM
I had a problem with the front bar moving around. I contacted Luke and he sent new bushings N/C. I installed them a week ago and it hasn't moved since. Thanks Luke.

I also got the rear strut bar at the same time but stock FE4 shocks. You can immediately tell a difference in the ride. Great mods. I like when the passenger keeps nailing their imaginary footbrake the first time I take them for a ride.

I first had the rear bar in the inner position and it did oversteer quite easily with a bit of the long pedal. Too touchy for me on the street, no good corners around here to drift. Since I moved it to the outer holes the car seems much more neutral although you can still steer with the throttle easily. I would try the outer hole first.

crankedupforit
01-20-08, 07:01 PM
I had a problem with the front bar moving around. I contacted Luke and he sent new bushings N/C. I installed them a week ago and it hasn't moved since. Thanks Luke.

I also got the rear strut bar at the same time but stock FE4 shocks. You can immediately tell a difference in the ride. Great mods. I like when the passenger keeps nailing their imaginary footbrake the first time I take them for a ride.

I first had the rear bar in the inner position and it did oversteer quite easily with a bit of the long pedal. Too touchy for me on the street, no good corners around here to drift. Since I moved it to the outer holes the car seems much more neutral although you can still steer with the throttle easily. I would try the outer hole first.

Thanks Bueller...that's what I needed to hear (someone who's been there):worship:. How can I tell if I have the right bushings?

Mike