: The Seville may be totaled...

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:22 AM
Just that... and if not it's going to take A LOT of work.

Needless to say, I was out tooling around on some twisties out in the back-country roads. After a series of some pretty good twists, I came up to one that was a little more slippery than I had judged. The worst part was that I caught something out of the corner of my eye which made me swerve... next thing I I know the car had lost its grip... the next thing after that I was on very wet grass covered by even wetter leaves. At that point I was going wherever the car had decided I was going to go.

I had never been in an accident before in my entire life... I must say it was one of the most terrifying/exhilarating moments I've ever been through. The only thing I remember thinking was "this is going to hurt." Of course the only thing I think I actually said was "Oh shit!" It was all over within a matter of seconds. I had managed to clip one tree on the driver's side which had actually dislodged the tree root and all a good foot backward, proceeded to clip another tree, and then went head-on into another. Luckily though, the tree I went head-on into gave way which I think helped to soften the blow some.

But at that point the airbags had gone off, the driver's side window was smashed, and the horn was blaring. It took me a second to get my bearings... the car was kind of lodged on top of the trunk of the tree that gave way and the car way tilting upward on the tree it hit and was on about a 35-40 degree angle so I couldn't get out of the drivers door... so I had to climb out of the passenger door.

Somehow... Amazingly enough, I walked out of that thing with nary a scratch on me. I got a little banged up of course, but every one of that car's safety features worked absolutely brilliantly. Nothing had crumpled in on the interior... the pretensioners on the belts worked perfectly as did the airbags. Somehow I even had a lapful of glass yet not a scratch. But Lord willing, I've got one slightly bruised rib from the belt and my knees got knocked around a bit.

Luckily the fire/rescue chief lived 2 minutes down the road, so just as I was climbing out of the car he was pulling up. They kept telling me to sit down, which I couldn't do since I was so amped up on adrenaline... I didn't completely calm down for about 3 hours after. I'm just so thankful no one was in the car with me and that there was no one on the other side of that corner. Of course I still have to go to court on Tuesday, because evidently it's mandatory in the state of New Jersey to be given a careless driving violation when one gets into an accident... hopefully the judge will be kind.

I have no idea what's going to happen to the car... that's up to the insurance company I guess, but I was in no condition to do any sort of proper inspection. I'd say there was no damage to the passenger compartment or the frame surrounding. The front is pretty smashed and the radiator is definitely shot, however the engine was still able to start and stop and all of the electrics seemed to be intact.

All I know is I can definitely vouch for the safety of those Cadillacs - they can really take a pretty good hit and the chances are good that you'll walk away from it... at least in my case. Had I not been wearing my seatbelt or had I been in a different vehicle I think the outcome would have been much much worse. I get to go tomorrow to clean it out - not looking forward to that.

Either way, I think I need to take one of these little yellow pills the good doctor gave me... still feeling a bit wired from it all.

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 12:28 AM
shoulda bought an STS
magride could of saved what karma caused...
ZING

that said goodluck

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:32 AM
shoulda bought an STS
ZING

that said goodluck

I have so very little patience for you right now...

Thanks for such empathy and warm regards... maybe you should look up what the word karma means.

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 12:37 AM
AMG , be glad

I lost a family member, a CLOSE one to a accident.

Wish you the best of luck man.

03, stop being a ass, the man just totalled his car.

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 12:38 AM
what?
electronic stability control is standard on the STS as well as magnetic ride control, PAS (performance algorithm shifting which detects body roll, sway, throttle, and wheel angle to adjust shifting and lower the cars gear to maintain control and pull through twisties), speed sensitive steering.

you brought the wrong car for the application if you wanted to practice touring...

and actually im not being an ass i am sympathizing if i was being an ass id be laughing in his face and getting him back for all the bashing hes done toward me..

EDIT
and oh yea we dont know if its totaled yet, he made it out alive without any harm and has insurance... all is well

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 12:39 AM
ESC i believe is standard on the SLS, MRC i dont think woulda been a option on his year, PAS wouldnt have helped, and most of all, i think you need to back off. The man just totalled his car. Not the right time to be saying shit.

hueterm
01-19-08, 12:47 AM
Wow, you were really lucky to not be seriously hurt, and that no one else was in the car (or you didn't hit someone).

What's your choice -- do you want them to total it, or not?

IF they do, just tell yourself that the HGs were about to blow, and that you lucked out yet again :-)

Glad you're OK -- Mike

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:54 AM
The fact remains that in this circumstance, ie - that particular road with those particular conditions, nothing on your precious STS would have made a damn lick of difference, the car had Stabilitrack, PAS would have done nothing, and Magnaride would have helped a damn thing in this situation.

Regardless of whether it was a a freaking STS or SLS, it wouldn't have made a goddamned difference in this situation.

Frankly, the last thing I need right now is some patronizing BS, especially from the likes of you. So if you really want to "sympathize," then how's about you keep your little yapper shut, please and thank you.

Crown Vic... I appreciate your sentiment, thank you. As I said, in the almost two decades I've been on the road, I've never been in an accident, and it's something no one can truly appreciate until they've gone head-on into one. Scared the bejesus out of me. It was definitely one hell of a ride... either way, I count myself extremely lucky. Like I said, if I was in any other car or God-forbid, I didn't have my seatbelt on, it would have ended much worse.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:57 AM
Wow, you were really lucky to not be seriously hurt, and that no one else was in the car (or you didn't hit someone).

What's your choice -- do you want them to total it, or not?

IF they do, just tell yourself that the HGs were about to blow, and that you lucked out yet again :-)

Glad you're OK -- Mike

Thanks Mike, I consider myself so very fortunate on all of those counts.

It's really a wait and see right now... if there's no frame damage, and basically looks a lot worse than it is then it may very well be salvageable. I guess I'll know a little more tomorrow when I go out to the car.

Either way, after walking out of it the way I did, I'll be hard pressed not to get into another Cadillac if I have to get a new car.

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 01:03 AM
dude im not gonna argue with you
but your car lost its grip
its a known fact improved suspension helps prevent this
subject ended
for as much bashing as youve done against me and MANY others here this is as nice as i can possibly be
i feel bad for you but it was driver error that wasnt helped by the car you attempted to do it in

best of luck and with that to prevent further argument im sorry im blocking you
take care

hueterm
01-19-08, 01:09 AM
Oh, and when did this happen? Today? If so, you're probably going to be all kinds of sore tomorrow...

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 01:09 AM
just dont sleep :/

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 01:13 AM
idk if he responded
but Vic IS right
idk how bad the accident was photos would help
but if you suffered any sort of head trauma
and you go to sleep
you may not wake up
stay awake and alert for awhile and make sure your head doesnt begin to hurt or you dont loose your balance or bearings

sry thats my Vol Fire Training speaking

gary88
01-19-08, 01:50 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but glad you walked away from it all in one piece. These things aren't the greatest around the bends, but they're ridiculously safe.

If you're looking to buy a used 2002 Bronzemist Seville SLS with 68,xxx miles let me know... eh eh eh

AMGoff
01-19-08, 01:52 AM
Oh, and when did this happen? Today? If so, you're probably going to be all kinds of sore tomorrow...

Yeah... happened this afternoon. Got checked out by the family doc, no signs of head trauma... plus the wife is an athletic trainer, so she's been keeping an eye on me.

Definitely not looking forward to how I'm going to feel tomorrow :mad:

AMGoff
01-19-08, 01:55 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but glad you walked away from it all in one piece. These things aren't the greatest around the bends, but they're ridiculously safe.

If you're looking to buy a used 2002 Bronzemist Seville SLS with 68,xxx miles let me know... eh eh eh

Thanks gary... it wasn't so much the bends, but the unfortunate circumstance of it being slick and me having to swerve from some sort of varmint. Somehow those two things could have been rectified had I been in a different trim level, or so I'm told.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 09:23 AM
Wow! Damn Adam, I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope you're ok man! Best of luck in the process that comes next.

hueterm
01-19-08, 09:42 AM
Thanks gary... it wasn't so much the bends, but the unfortunate circumstance of it being slick and me having to swerve from some sort of varmint. Somehow those two things could have been rectified had I been in a different trim level, or so I'm told.

"Or so I'm told" being the operative words here...

Florian
01-19-08, 10:25 AM
shoulda bought an STS
ZING

that said goodluck

what a douche. :thepan:

F

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 10:27 AM
i do what i can
sheesh i did try and help out after

Florian
01-19-08, 10:28 AM
what?
electronic stability control is standard on the STS as well as magnetic ride control, PAS (performance algorithm shifting which detects body roll, sway, throttle, and wheel angle to adjust shifting and lower the cars gear to maintain control and pull through twisties), speed sensitive steering.

you brought the wrong car for the application if you wanted to practice touring...

and actually im not being an ass i am sympathizing if i was being an ass id be laughing in his face and getting him back for all the bashing hes done toward me..

EDIT
and oh yea we dont know if its totaled yet, he made it out alive without any harm and has insurance... all is well

Jason,

Look at it this way...if you had totalled your rig, youd be pissed and maybe in some need of a sympathetic ear. Youre coming off all wrong here...and being quite a little dickhead in the process. Let Adam have his moment and dont piss all over it. If you had laughed in my face after I totalled a car...youd have fewer teeth and a jaw that was wired shut.....
A guy lost his Caddy. Have half a heart. WTF?

F

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 10:39 AM
dude
understand where im coming from
the guy speaks like his car is GOD and has bashed me at ANY time even ask Chad about it he has even realized it and everyone knows Chad and I are nice but in no way shape or form best buds
i realize i got a tad mean and i said sorry but common man if someone was totally rude to you at every possible moment, you wouldnt shed a tear if something bad happened to the gloried item that he said was so much better than yours

that said F i dont wanna tie up his thread with this bs im me or sumthin you know i have no issues with you at all i still owe you a round from when nik messed up with the QSL meet.

Florian
01-19-08, 10:40 AM
dude
understand where im coming from
the guy speaks like his car is GOD and has bashed me at ANY time even ask Chad about it he has even realized it and everyone knows Chad and I are nice but in no way shape or form best buds
i realize i got a tad mean and i said sorry but common man if someone was totally rude to you at every possible moment, you wouldnt shed a tear if something bad happened to the gloried item that he said was so much better than yours

that said F i dont wanna tie up his thread with this bs im me or sumthin you know i have no issues with you at all i still owe you a round from when nik messed up with the QSL meet.

fair enough...Im out. Just a point from an unbiased observer.

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 11:24 AM
Dude, Jason, He'd get the same done thing to him if he ripped on you after you totalled your car. I understand that the both of you don't get along, and you probably won't ever get along, but ya can't kick a man when he's down. Just imagine if you were in his place....you'd get a lot of well deserved sympathy from many members, myself included, because you're a well known and well respected member around here. And the last thing you'd want is someone to say "well it wouldn't happen if you had my car, because it's better for a, b and c reasons", it'd throw you over the top, and I can't blame you. Shit, I'd lose my friggin' temper over that too. With that being said, Adam took it surprisingly well.

So just something to keep in mind bud. :)

Ranger
01-19-08, 11:27 AM
WOW! Sorry to hear this Adam, but glad you walked away.

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 11:27 AM
if i total my STS
i aint walkin home let put it that way lol

PAULSTSMAN1
01-19-08, 11:57 AM
Sorry about the Accident, but Thank God you made it. If the car is totaled you'll be able to get something else. I don't believe you indicated whether or not you driving the STS? I am questioning the electronics, my 98 has Stability and Traction Control that should have cut engine power immediately? My RWD 06, is awesome with all it's features, perhaps if your car has been totaled you might test drive one.

Best Wishes,

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 12:06 PM
yeah, the seville SLS

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 12:07 PM
He has an SLS....I don't think that those had some of those fancy safety gadgets that the STS's do. I know it definitely didn't have the Magnaride, but I'm not sure if it's got the same stabilitrak that the STS's do. Etcetera, etcetera.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:24 PM
Well... it's the light of day and there's soreness all around. Have yet to go down to the shop yet, waiting a little longer to get my bearings.

I see someone is still keeping it up... I'm going to settle this once and for all and I'd happy to sift through all of my prior posts to back it up. I never put my car on a pedestal, the comments that happened to bruise some young egos came from my unwillingness to put some other car on a higher pedestal. By saying that "Object A" isn't all that much better than "Object B," is hardly saying "Object B" is a "God." My sincerest apologies if I don't have the time to constantly placate the overinflated ego of some youngster.... I deal with kids with real problems all week long, I don't have any patience for those that simply have an attitude. And that's the absolute last I'm going to say on that subject.

Bottom line, there were overwhelming circumstances with the accident and it didn't matter what kind of car I was in. Furthermore, I may be a bit of a "stuffed shirt" as our good friend from Alaska put it once, but I would never show someone such disrespect and/or disregard, even if I disagree with just about everything they've ever said. That was honestly, the most appalling thing I've ever seen on this site, and I was seriously debating not signing back on... and that say a lot, because unlike a lot of people it takes an obscene amount to truly offend me. Fortunately age brings such things like common sense, an even keel, and a subsequent realization that an "ignore" button is a useful thing, although I never thought I'd have to have anyone on it....

...not to mention a good night sleep and a big bottle of painkillers... lol!

Either way... Chad, Ranger, Florian, Crown Vic, and everyone else, words can't describe how much your warm sentiments mean to me. It's folks like you who make me enjoy being here, and let me say right now - even if I ever disagree with you on something, I still respect you... I still think you're good people.

I still can't quite believe I was able to climb out of that thing the way I did, I definitely think I burnt one of my nine lives on that one. As I said, were I in any different kind of car (regardless of trim level), I think it would have been much worse. I actually looked up the safety specs on the Seville, and I was surprised to see it had never been given an impact safety rating... I would definitely give the gal Five Stars on that front... it's absolutely astounding what modern engineering can accomplish.

Being the first time I've ever seen airbags deployed up close and personal, the scariest bit for me is probably something married folk and/or parents can probably understand the best - was as I was careening into the forest, the only thing I was thinking about was the wife and family and what would happen if the worst were to come. Probably the most unsettling thought I've ever had.... I'm not a young man anymore and my actions have a real and substantive effect on others. It's funny what you think about in those rare occurrences when you have absolutely zero control over a situation.

Anyway... I guess I should probably give the old Wagoneer a once-over before it drops down into the mid-20s tomorrow. Plus make it down to see the car and clean out everything.

Again... thank you to everyone who sent warm wishes. I'll keep everyone posted...

AMGoff
01-19-08, 12:30 PM
He has an SLS....I don't think that those had some of those fancy safety gadgets that the STS's do. I know it definitely didn't have the Magnaride, but I'm not sure if it's got the same stabilitrak that the STS's do. Etcetera, etcetera.

Yes, they both have Stabilitrack... the biggest thing it didn't have was Magnaride - which wasn't even available on the Seville when mine was built. Even then, it wouldn't have accounted for a lick of difference in this situation. It doesn't matter what level of electronic doodads the car would have had... it's still a two ton, front drive car, on a slick surface, on a tight bend, on a narrow road, with me reacting to other variables.

An "active" suspension doesn't jack-squat when there's no traction at all... unless it can somehow alter the laws of physics... which I don't think it can.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 12:56 PM
Can we get some pictures Adam to see if it's gonna be totaled.

Just a quick question...say it is totaled...what's next on your list?

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 01:05 PM
i doubt he even has access to the car.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 01:30 PM
I should have snapped a few pics while it was wedged on top of the tree... but I wasn't really thinking about that at the time. I may be able to get down there today, the garage owner is supposed to give me a call when he gets back from Delaware.

Anyway... I'm neither a mechanic nor an insurance adjuster, so I can't say for sure if it's going to be totaled or not. Obviously if there's frame damage it will be totaled. What do I know for sure? The front end is completely shot... the radiator's gone, the front axle is probably damaged, the entire front driver's side wheel assembly is shot, the drivers window is smashed, and the driver's side of the car sustained some pretty good body damage. So if the repairs are going to cost too much relative to the cars value it's not going to get repaired.

It's hard to say what I would go for... I'd like to get another Cadillac for sure, I'm just not sure if I'd go for another Northstar.... Maybe a CTS or possibly an SRX, or who knows I'm might go find another Buick or very well possibly another Chrysler product - maybe a Magnum, or another Jeep. I might even get really crazy and go check out a few Saabs again.. if I did something like that I might also go an pick up an older Coupe Deville, since I have always been smitten with them.

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 01:34 PM
What about a marauder :)

Just kidding, honestly, i would check out another seville thats been timeserted.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 01:38 PM
4.9L Coupe deVille or Saab 9-5. If you weren't gonna go N* again, otherwise I'd suggest a late model ETC

Or a Benz. :p :lildevil:

Crown Vic Owner
01-19-08, 01:41 PM
Or a Benz. :p :lildevil:

The benz makes the northstar sound relaible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 01:50 PM
The Cadillac would probably be cheaper to own, but I guess I can't really say what's more reliable, as I've never owned both. I can definitely say that the '92 deVille cost me less in repairs than the Benz has so far. And I owned that deVille for over two and a half years...the Benz, 5 months.

93DevilleUSMC
01-19-08, 02:32 PM
Good luck with everything. Were there any major injuries? I'll check eBay and see if there are any good SLS`s worth your while.

Hey, since you've always been "smitten" with CoupeDevilles, why not a 1979 Coupe, or maybe a 1991-1992 Fleetwood Coupe?

The Tony Show
01-19-08, 03:33 PM
Man, sorry to hear about this- as others have said, at least you walked away. Having been in a similar situation, I understand what you mean about your Wife and kids. It's amazing how much can go through your mind in those 3 to 5 "Oh shit" seconds, isn't it?

For those wondering, no amount of electronics would have stopped the slide once he got on the grass. Grip enhancing features only work if there is grip to enhance.

Keep us updated on what you're looking at for a replacement.

xshrpshtr
01-19-08, 03:46 PM
If Jason ever totals his car I would give him sh1t right away...of course I'm an @sshole too.
Dude, Jason, He'd get the same done thing to him if he ripped on you after you totalled your car. I understand that the both of you don't get along, and you probably won't ever get along, but ya can't kick a man when he's down. Just imagine if you were in his place....you'd get a lot of well deserved sympathy from many members, myself included, because you're a well known and well respected member around here. And the last thing you'd want is someone to say "well it wouldn't happen if you had my car, because it's better for a, b and c reasons", it'd throw you over the top, and I can't blame you. Shit, I'd lose my friggin' temper over that too. With that being said, Adam took it surprisingly well.

So just something to keep in mind bud. :)

dkozloski
01-19-08, 04:03 PM
A young guy on a twisty road gets into a corner over his head and prangs the car. It's old news and the reason everybodies insurance costs so much. He survived which is good. He learned something which is also good. Those of you who haven't done the same thing should take heed. I was lucky enough to do my learning on snow covered roads where everything happens at slower speeds and you have a snowbank to hit that cushions the car. I've had a pickup upside down in the snowbank and driven it away a half hour later. The cause of these problems is poor judgement mixed with youthful exhuberance. If it slows you down and improves your attention span it's all a big plus in the long run.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-08, 04:07 PM
Man, I remember that time I did 108 down an old farm road in the deVille. Youthful exuberance = awesome.

eldorado99
01-19-08, 04:27 PM
A young guy on a twisty road gets into a corner over his head and prangs the car. It's old news and the reason everybodies insurance costs so much. He survived which is good. He learned something which is also good. Those of you who haven't done the same thing should take heed. I was lucky enough to do my learning on snow covered roads where everything happens at slower speeds and you have a snowbank to hit that cushions the car. I've had a pickup upside down in the snowbank and driven it away a half hour later. The cause of these problems is poor judgement mixed with youthful exhuberance. If it slows you down and improves your attention span it's all a big plus in the long run.

I too was lucky enough to get that out of my system in a somewhat safe environment with no insurance involved and a beater of a car, it scared the crap outta me and maybe a little of the stupid too.

dkozloski
01-19-08, 04:42 PM
In a television interview several years ago when he drove for Williams, Jacque Villenouve was asked if he drove on the edge. He said the only way to know that is if he had wrecked and he hadn't so he guessed he didn't.

Ranger
01-19-08, 05:19 PM
Adam,
I note you where driving an '02 SLS. My daughter may be selling her '02 SLS soon. 42K and still under certified warranty. PM me if you have any interest and I can answer any questions. Not exactly sure when or how much yet.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 06:28 PM

Oh koz... I was wondering when you would chime in.

Although I'm not entirely sure one accident in 19 years qualifies as "youthful exuberance." I wasn't practicing for my stint at LeMans... sometimes an accident it just that.

Adam,
I note you where driving an '02 SLS. My daughter may be selling her '02 SLS soon. 42K and still under certified warranty. PM me if you have any interest and I can answer any questions. Not exactly sure when or how much yet.

Thanks Ranger... I'll definitely keep you posted once I find out exactly what's going to happen.

And thank you again to everyone else... it means a lot.

Destroyer
01-19-08, 06:56 PM
the guy speaks like his car is GOD I know you dont realize it, but so do you about your car.

dkozloski
01-19-08, 07:16 PM
An old pilot, even older than I, announced one day that there is no such thing as an accident. If you listen to and heed the little voices you hear coming from the corners of your consciousness about the mistake you're about to make, an accident will never happen. He walked out the door of the hanger, got into an airplane borrowed from a friend, and put it in some brush at the end of the field because it was overloaded and he didn't abort the takeoff run in a timely manner. Somebody reminded him of what he had just said and remarked that he didn't need to follow up the talk with a demonstration.
I apologize for the remark I made about you learning from your "accident". It's obvious you learned nothing.

Destroyer
01-19-08, 07:39 PM
An old pilot, even older than I, announced one day that there is no such thing as an accident. If you listen to and heed the little voices you hear coming from the corners of your consciousness about the mistake you're about to make, an accident will never happen. He walked out the door of the hanger, got into an airplane borrowed from a friend, and put it in some brush at the end of the field because it was overloaded and he didn't abort the takeoff run in a timely manner. Somebody reminded him of what he had just said and remarked that he didn't need to follow up the talk with a demonstration.
I apologize for the remark I made about you learning from your "accident". It's obvious you learned nothing.Never heard the age old adage that "sh*t happens"?. Guy has been driving for over 2 decades without having an accident and now he needs the third degree from everyone here?. What is it the you think he should "learn" from this experience?. Sounds like he was driving "spirited" on a road that had more moisture than he thought and avoided hitting some critter which caused an unfortunate accident. Are you telling him to drive like a senior citizen?.

xshrpshtr
01-19-08, 07:40 PM
^^^lol! at KOZ

:koz:

AlBundy
01-19-08, 07:47 PM
Sorry about your car, good to see you walked away and that I don't have to say I hope you get better(seriously hurt).:thumbsup:

dkozloski
01-19-08, 07:52 PM
Never heard the age old adage that "sh*t happens"?. Guy has been driving for over 2 decades without having an accident and now he needs the third degree from everyone here?. What is it the you think he should "learn" from this experience?. Sounds like he was driving "spirited" on a road that had more moisture than he thought and avoided hitting some critter which caused an unfortunate accident. Are you telling him to drive like a senior citizen?.
I'm telling him to drive for the conditions of the roadway. There could have been some kids between the road and the trees he hit. A country road is not a playground. It's a means of transportation and there are people besides yourself that use it. He got into trouble because he overdrove the car and left no margin for the unforseen. It's as simple as that. Just because it took him 20 years to get brave enough to scare himself doesn't change anything.

AlBundy
01-19-08, 07:55 PM
koz your knowledge is priceless.

dkozloski
01-19-08, 08:26 PM
Older people try to pass to the younger the lessons they have learned in life. The younger are forever doomed to ignore them and learn for themselves the hard way. It makes it even tougher for them to admit that they should have listened when they had the chance. I'm still learning the hard way. When you're young you can blame it on youth. When you're old you can blame it on senility. Creative people can always find an excuse for pure stupidity.

CTSV_Rob
01-19-08, 09:09 PM
In your forties it hard to blame anyone. You should be old enough to know better and young enough to still be in complete control of your mental state.

Dead on Koz, I realize if I get in an "accident" it will be from my complete lack of intelligence and purely an adrenaline pump pushing the V to the limit. She is still in one piece but all it takes is a split second of poor judgment and a "slight" mis calculation and on into totaling the Cadillac.

I wish I could tell you I will slow down Koz but that would be a lie. I enjoy pushing this car and if I decided I was going to stop I would have to sell the car. It's like saying "I think I will go from three packs a day to just a couple of cigarette's". That didn't happen and neither will me driving sanely all of the time.

Always love to read your posts Koz.

dkozloski
01-19-08, 09:16 PM
In your forties it hard to blame anyone. You should be old enough to know better and young enough to still be in complete control of your mental state.

Dead on Koz, I realize if I get in an "accident" it will be from my complete lack of intelligence and purely an adrenaline pump pushing the V to the limit. She is still in one piece but all it takes is a split second of poor judgment and a "slight" mis calculation and on into totaling the Cadillac.

I wish I could tell you I will slow down Koz but that would be a lie. I enjoy pushing this car and if I decided I was going to stop I would have to sell the car. It's like saying "I think I will go from three packs a day to just a couple of cigarette's". That didn't happen and neither will me driving sanely all of the time.

Always love to read your posts Koz.
You've aleady learned to temper your enthusiasm with judgement; to calculate the risks. It's called maturity.

JimHare
01-19-08, 09:16 PM
Hey Adam, where'd you do this off-roadin' ? You and I know some of the same roads around here, I wanna make sure I don't do the same thing! I've had some fun in the ETC on some of these backwoods Salem county roads, they get fun when the twist down and around and you hit the wet leaves that gather on the corners....I try to restrict my tourismo to roads that I'm familar with so I don't have those surprises. But glad you're OK - sheet metal can always be repaired or melted down to make chinese toys.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 09:31 PM
I really do appreciate most of the comments... the ones I don't appreciate really aren't all that surprising - on one end I have a youngster telling me it's my fault for choosing the wrong car and on the other end I have an old kurmudgeon telling me I basically deserved what I got due to brave stupidity derived from youthful exuberance, even though he has no freaking clue what he's talking about because A. He wasn't there, B. He has no idea what the area is like, and C. He has nothing better to do than tell another pointless story about some old man that I don't give two poops about who also wouldn't have a single clue about this situation.

So I have to deal with one overly arrogant person on one side, an overly-judgmental albeit clueless person on the other side and a whole bunch of nice, well-meaning people in the middle. I mean seriously... what gives?

I honestly hope this never happens to any of you, simply so you don't have to deal with all of the confounding BS you'll have to deal with from the wise and the unwashed. I need a freaking drink...

AMGoff
01-19-08, 09:42 PM
Hey Adam, where'd you do this off-roadin' ? You and I know some of the same roads around here, I wanna make sure I don't do the same thing! I've had some fun in the ETC on some of these backwoods Salem county roads, they get fun when the twist down and around and you hit the wet leaves that gather on the corners....I try to restrict my tourismo to roads that I'm familar with so I don't have those surprises. But glad you're OK - sheet metal can always be repaired or melted down to make chinese toys.

Hey Jim...

Well, despite what has been assumed by some several thousand miles away, I wasn't barnstorming any of these corners. As you know, we had the snow/rain on Thursday evening... and you also know what the various critters are like 'round here. Corner A - Sunny/open/dry.. Corner B - sunny/open/dry, Corner C - wooded, not dry, with the presence of something I didn't want to hit. You also know the backroads 'round here can be fairly narrow so once I hit the wet grass/leaves there was no stopping.

Anyway... it was down in Stow Creek, just south of LAC along the Cohansey Creek - Strathems Neck Road I believe. It was such a nice day on Friday I decided to take a ride... it was absolutely beautiful, I was really enjoying myself - but then I was purposely stupid in the wrong car, or so I'm told... then I had the accident, then I made the mistake of coming on here and saying the Seville was wrecked and subsequently had to deal with a whole lot of nice, well meaning people and a few not so well meaning people.

Anyway... I'll pm you with a link to the Google Satellite/Map where it happened, you may be familiar with it if you've ever ventured down to the Coastal/Bay Heritage spots.

xshrpshtr
01-19-08, 09:47 PM
Hey pot. You're black.

So I have to deal with one overly arrogant person on one side, an overly-judgmental albeit clueless person

I honestly hope this never happens to any of you, simply so you don't have to deal with all of the confounding BS you'll have to deal with from the wise and the unwashed.

AMGoff
01-19-08, 09:57 PM
Hey pot. You're black.

Buzz off... Sorry if I don't placate people when I disagree with them. The difference is I am capable of and would show at least the tiniest bit of compassion had something like this happened to any of you.

I may be as opinionated as quite a few others on here but I'm not downright heartless. I guess there's more than two like that on here... and you're even more surprising seeing as how I don't recall ever getting into anything with you.

Urb or whoever can shut this thread down, please do so... I never would have imagined this sort of crap from this place. Totally unreal...

dkozloski
01-19-08, 10:01 PM
AMGoff comes on here telling about how he wrecked his car by overdriving a corner on a road that he knows can present surprises. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who drive the same road everyday with no problems. He claims it was an unavoidable accident when clearly he knows better. He is looking for sympathy and gets all injured when his error is pointed out to him. He needs to turn his anger inward toward the real guilty party. Someday AMGrasshopper will see the light and spare himself further embarrassment

AMGoff
01-19-08, 10:05 PM
AMGoff comes on here telling about how he wrecked his car by overdriving a corner on a road that he knows can present surprises. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who drive the same road everyday with no problems. He claims it was an unavoidable accident when clearly he knows better. He is looking for sympathy and gets all injured when his error is pointed out to him. He needs to turn his anger inward toward the real guilty party. Someday AMGrasshopper will see the light and spare himself further embarrassment

What is your damage exactly?

dkozloski
01-19-08, 11:00 PM
What is your damage exactly?
I feel your pain. I have to admit that what bothers me the most is that I see a lot of myself in you, thirty-five years ago.

JimHare
01-19-08, 11:04 PM
<snip>There are hundreds if not thousands of people who drive the same road everyday with no problems. He claims it was an unavoidable accident when clearly he knows better.

In this case, that stretch of road probably gets maybe 30 cars in any 24 hour period. It's really in the back country of SJ - about 10 miles from where I live. Koz, I understand what you're saying, but I think you should lighten up just a bit - I know the area where Adam lost it, and he's right - we had some odd weather here Thursday night (wet snow that turned to rain and then froze in spots) and yet on Friday it was mid 40s and sunny - and there are simply places here in South Jersey where you can be on the road for several hundred yards in bright, dry, flat terrain and then go around a corner and find yourself in complete darkness-and an icy patch to boot. Granted, Adam was probably going faster than he should have, and he should know how the roads are here - but I don't think its worth crucifying the guy just because he slipped up. Yes, every "accident" is really caused by driver mistake or mechanical failure - but we all make mistakes. And around here, at this time of year, a freakin' deer can stumble out from the woods 10 feet in front of your car. The woods are literally right on the edge of the road, so there's no warning at all. I'm betting the limit on the road he did this on was 45, or possibly 50. Even doing 25, when Bambi jumps out 10 feet in front of you, there's nothing to do but have venison for dinner, or bark.

From my conversations with him, I don't think he came on looking for sympathy or anything like that. There have been plenty of reports of accidents on the forum in the last few years that I've been here, and I don't recall one ever turning into the kind of witch hunt this one did. C'mon guys...

Ranger
01-19-08, 11:24 PM
I have to agree. His fault or not. No need to add insult to injury.

dkozloski
01-19-08, 11:44 PM
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to rub it in. I think it is useful to analyze and acknowledge your mistakes as well as take steps to avoid repeating them. If you rationalize them away you're doomed to repeat them.

Destroyer
01-19-08, 11:55 PM
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to rub it in. I think it is useful to analyze and acknowledge your mistakes as well as take steps to avoid repeating them. If you rationalize them away you're doomed to repeat them.I hate saying that I've never been in an accident for fear that I will get into one for having stated that but if I do and I get out of it intact, I'll still drive fast.

xshrpshtr
01-20-08, 12:17 AM
Dude. Your car got wrecked. That is WAY F'ed up. Would I have done the samething with the same conditions? Very likely. Who knows. I care nothing about how it happened. I pushed my car once when it was very new and if not for Nitto NEO gens on her. She was a goner for sure. 2 miles an hour faster and a side over side flip at 80 mph into a 7-11. I never once gave you ish about losing the car. I even said I would've given 03 grief...but I kinda know him. I just think I've seen you giving other people grief in here in liberal quantities. I didn't mean to get on your arse when you just lost the car. I was trying to point out if you can give it you gotta take it. Bad timing on my part. You just tore her up. Not very fun. I've never done in a car(off the track) but I've had my bike stolen and plenty of other calamities. It sucks the big one. My point wasn't intended to kick you when you were down. I was trying to make light of the grief you seem to have drawn. I'd bet if I posted in here with a similar story I'd get worse treatment.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-08, 12:49 AM
Closed per the original poster's request.

Lord Cadillac
01-26-08, 11:26 AM
shoulda bought an STS
ZING

that said goodluck
Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone is giving you a hard time, let me know about it.

Lord Cadillac
01-26-08, 11:29 AM
When somebody totals their car and comes here to write about it, they don't need to have it shoved in their faces and be told they're the reason for high insurance costs and whatnot.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-26-08, 11:30 AM
I'm interested to hear the outcome of the story, but I doubt Adam will ever come back.