: Volant or K&N intake pipe

randycsvt
01-19-08, 01:16 AM
I bought an LPE intake and wanted to change the stock throttle body to MAF tube. I bought everything I need for a imitations free flow V intake tube (hump hose, 90 bend, metal 3.5 inch pipe, and t bolt clamps). I tried it on, but I think I would like the look of a Volant or K&N tube.

I am interested in using a Volant or K&N intake tube (throttle body to MAF), and was wondering if anybody has experienced any problems with doing so.

Does anybody have a volant or K&N intake pipe they are willing to part with?

lunarx
01-19-08, 05:35 AM
Possibly.
Stay in touch.
I have some Intake Tube options I am sorting through right now.
After completed, I may have stuff to sell.

Twitch
01-19-08, 07:45 AM
I bought an LPE intake and wanted to change the stock throttle body to MAF tube. I bought everything I need for a imitations free flow V intake tube (hump hose, 90 bend, metal 3.5 inch pipe, and t bolt clamps). I tried it on, but I think I would like the look of a Volant or K&N tube.

I am interested in using a Volant or K&N intake tube (throttle body to MAF), and was wondering if anybody has experienced any problems with doing so.

Does anybody have a volant or K&N intake pipe they are willing to part with?

:yeah:

Possibly.
Stay in touch.
I have some Intake Tube options I am sorting through right now.
After completed, I may have stuff to sell.

Add me to that list.

randycsvt
01-19-08, 06:01 PM
:yeah:

Add me to that list.

NOOOOO the tube is mine!!!!!!!!!

lunarx
01-19-08, 06:18 PM
Guys.

I just confirmed this is the tube used on my LPE.
http://www.ls1speed.com/catalogimages/IZM104.jpg
http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000269

You can call and order just the tube (I did).
It needs to be cut down a bit for the V.

This is how it looks cut down and installed on my LPE.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/34130d1186816554-does-anyone-make-intake-tube-pict0209_resize.jpg

The hood insulation had to be trimmed for clearance.

Before Cutting:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/34129d1186816424-does-anyone-make-intake-tube-007b_3.jpg

I might go back to this with the new tube.
I will use a Hump Coupler though to allow for flex.
That was the flaw of this first approach, which led to the cutting.

I'm hoping to do something similar with a Volant and my existing or new Speed-Inc Tube..
Although I might end up just using the Volant Tube.
Still working thru that.

Twitch
01-22-08, 01:01 PM
Took a good look @ that tube. I'm wondering if it will give me the same problems as my homemade tube.
Thinking about getting a used K&N kit, just for the tube. Anybody know how wide they are?

ssmith100
01-22-08, 04:30 PM
I've got the volant tube with my LPE...................I don't feel like I picked up anything versus the stock tube. If I had to do it over again I would have just left the stock yube.

Yes I was missing a clamp when the pic was taken.

Shane

MauiV
01-22-08, 07:30 PM
The stock K&N tube has ZERO give in it and kept pulling away from my TB and throwing codes so I ended up having to Permatex it to the sleeve. It isnt going anywhere now.

randycsvt
01-23-08, 01:22 AM
Maybe that is the problem I am having. I thought I had a leak somewhere, because I got some lean codes that went away as soon as I drove the car with the stock pipe back on. I may just keep the stock pipe on, because getting my homemade pipe to fit without rubbing at the hump hose or having leaks is a pain in the ass.

SkullV
01-23-08, 01:33 AM
I have to tighten my K&N every couple thousand miles...it never leaks tho...just gets a little tiny bit loose

Naf
01-23-08, 08:16 AM
Ya, when i changed the air tube on my Tahoe i was gettin Lean codes and at around 2500rpm... I had to retune. The sucker was yankin in more air then the VE could handle...Waitin on some more parts with LPE then i will have all my new toys to put on...HEHEHE

Has anyone used the BBK throttlebody or just go to the LS2 90mm TB? I have the 90mm with adaptor, but i dont know what i have to change in my tune, not to much reply in that field except, oh we can tune it for you...$$$$ I have a my program, and paid $$$ for it...Sharing is caring....

MauiV
01-23-08, 11:00 AM
I have to tighten my K&N every couple thousand miles...it never leaks tho...just gets a little tiny bit loose

Sand the end of the tube closest to the TB down because it is pourous plastic and just doesnt hold well. Clean it well then using your finger apply Permatex black silicon around the outside on the newly smoothed area and stick it into the sleeve. Make sure you dont get any into the TB and re- tighten the clamps. Mine was slipping out of the clamp everytime I got into the throddle. Now it hasnt moved in 8000 miles.

The factory intake tube has a joint in it that allows it to flex, the K&N doesnt and was causing me a big headache until this fix.

Johnny R
01-23-08, 12:20 PM
I am guessing you guys are not having any issues with how you car runs as long as the tube is firmly attached. Like those indicated in the remove your intake immediately thread. I might have to order a volant or K&N here pretty soon.

Does the volant have a pretty large opening on the side or bottom? In all of the pics I have seen it is hard to tell.

trukk
01-23-08, 01:03 PM
I didn't read all the posts on here, so forgive me if this has already been hit.

#1, I'd steer away from the Volant tube, because it has that extra bend in it just after the MAF.

#2, My setup is a FFV + LPE. I had issues with the connection comming apart at the MAF, or at the filter. To solve this without adding in a hump hose, I just loosened up the LPE 'Airbox'. That alows it to shift when the engine moves due to tourqe. I found that installing the metal tube into the filter while it is outside the car, makes that connection %1000 better (you can really tighten it up nice). Then with the 'airbox' loose, it is easy to install the filter + metal tube to the rest of the intake. While I still check my CAI very frequently just to be safe, I haven't had an air leak there in over a year.

-Chris

Johnny R
01-23-08, 02:42 PM
So it looks like the FFV is no longer available new. I guess I might try the GTO tube posted earlier and some kind of box or cone filter.

gauge hp
01-23-08, 05:10 PM
The stock K&N tube has ZERO give in it and kept pulling away from my TB and throwing codes so I ended up having to Permatex it to the sleeve. It isnt going anywhere now.

My Volant comes off from time to time aswell!

randycsvt
01-24-08, 01:58 AM
My homemade FFV is a pain in the ass, because it is hard to get it to fit right without the hump hose rubbing on the pulley right next to the MAF.

Naf
01-24-08, 03:49 AM
I am guessing you guys are not having any issues with how you car runs as long as the tube is firmly attached. Like those indicated in the remove your intake immediately thread. I might have to order a volant or K&N here pretty soon.

Does the volant have a pretty large opening on the side or bottom? In all of the pics I have seen it is hard to tell.

Old Wives tell...

An instance where the MOD bug rubbed back in a bad way...What has to be mentioned is that the V are very temp sensitve. You dont tune it in the same temp as you will be runnin her in then she goes into Biserker mode...Retardin Timin, jumpin between timin maps, and just being a typical woman on a bad day...

I will prove it all by puttin my LPE kit on in 120+F conditions, and runnin the car flawlessly...

bjohnso0
01-24-08, 08:47 PM
NAF, how you been?
I had intake air temp issues with the Volant kit on mine. Made it hard to tune IATs would sky rocket while moving slow and timing would go nuts. Once you got moving steady for several minutes the IATs would come down and timing would be OK. I also went with only a high octane timing map. BTW love EFILive.

Attached are some pics of what I did that made everything work with the Volant. After this mod IATs stayed right around ambient temperature even while cruising fairly slow.

Naf
01-29-08, 03:30 AM
Been Good and yourself?

It feels so good to be right....The tolerance for the LS6 is tighter then a LS1. This is the reason for the temp sensitivity. Also we are runnin higher compression as well addin to the headache...

As long as there is a flow of cool air around the intake tube the car shall be fine. I also would go as far as to cover the tubes with heat reflective material. This will maximize the cool air comin into the engine allowin the computer to run perfectly. I disconnected my throttlebody heatin tube and my mileage went up. I will cover my tube and know it will be better. GM doesnt know i dont need heaters in my engine compartment, i actually need more coolin...

Bueller
01-29-08, 06:32 PM
NAF, how you been?
I had intake air temp issues with the Volant kit on mine. Made it hard to tune IATs would sky rocket while moving slow and timing would go nuts. Once you got moving steady for several minutes the IATs would come down and timing would be OK. I also went with only a high octane timing map. BTW love EFILive.

Attached are some pics of what I did that made everything work with the Volant. After this mod IATs stayed right around ambient temperature even while cruising fairly slow.

Do you have any other pics of this mod? I was thinking of doing something similar. Where does that lower tube go? It looks like dryer hose but not, what is it? Thanks for the help.