: Check Engine Light

frmg0014
01-18-08, 11:42 AM
My Check Engine Light lit up yesterday approximately 15mins after it has been started, right after entering the highway. The car didn't seem to loose any power and idle was smooth, so nothing was out of the ordinary.

Once I arrived home, I unplugged the battery for 5 mins to clear the light. I was expecting it to eventually show up again. I drove it around last night while doing some errands and it never came back! I did put gas earlier, but I always make sure the gas cap clicks. I did re-seat (loosen, then tighten) the gas cap just to make sure before I went for the drive. Do you think it could be caused by the gas cap? If it's one of the sensors, do you guys think it should have lit the Check Engine Light again by now? I did drive it for a good 20 or so km around the city, with a few stops here and there.

Thanks!

elvin315
01-18-08, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't be disconnecting the battery like willy-nilly that. It only takes one spark and the computers could croak. Next time go to Advanced Auto or some other auto parts shop and they will read the codes for free. I have a diagnostic panel called the ScanGauge that will read codes and clear them. It plugs into the ECM connector. The ScanGauge will also display a dozen or so parameters like MPG, miles to empty, water temp, speed, RPM, etc. Well worth the $150 it cost me.

Elvin

cateraowner
01-18-08, 01:30 PM
elvin is right, you shouldn't clear the codes without finding out what the problem is. if your check engine light is on and th eproblem reoccures the light will flash to tell you that it's happening again. also if it's not a serious problem than a couple time turning on and off the car (if it doesn't happen again) the light will go off.

but for now there is absolutly no way any one would know what it could be. cause there are thousands of things it could have been. there is nothing you can do about it now, so see if it shows up again, and get it scanned.

PEETYZ
01-21-08, 07:45 PM
cheap gas can set the light off and so can 1,000 other things i use premium most do fine with mid grade 89 but really the car runs better on premium and gets better gas mileage with it so its worth the extra 3 or so at the pump for a full tank have the code check for free a autozone if it turns up its an 02 sensor take it out clean it with throttlebody or electric parts cleaner or carb cleaner wth old tooth brush then dry and replace and have code cleared see it it returns if so replace sensors www.summitracing.com has best direct fit price

Cadi Cat
01-21-08, 11:47 PM
Changing weather will also set off the light, i've noticed. About 2 weeks ago mine came on for a couple days since the weather changed so dramaticly. It went from a dry low 30's to a humid mid 50's over night. That next morning it came on. Went to autozone to get it checked and it had something to do with my intake. Something really weird. Later that week the weather went back to normal and the light went out. :thumbsup:

satse
01-22-08, 04:02 PM
Changing weather will also set off the light, i've noticed. About 2 weeks ago mine came on for a couple days since the weather changed so dramaticly. It went from a dry low 30's to a humid mid 50's over night. That next morning it came on. Went to autozone to get it checked and it had something to do with my intake. Something really weird. Later that week the weather went back to normal and the light went out. :thumbsup:

Code P0411, by chance? (Secondary air injection system SAIS)

Cadi Cat
01-22-08, 07:17 PM
Code P0411, by chance? (Secondary air injection system SAIS)

I didn't ask what the code was but that's what he told me. That Air injection system.

satse
01-23-08, 01:53 PM
I didn't ask what the code was but that's what he told me. That Air injection system.

The SAIS only runs in cold weather to speed up cat warming (for emissions). More of a nuisance than anything. I corrected mine with a new control solenoid, which was $50 and 10 mins to replace. Not bad to get rid of the seasonal CEL.

MyOpel
01-23-08, 02:59 PM
My Check Engine Light lit up yesterday approximately 15mins after it has been started, right after entering the highway. The car didn't seem to loose any power and idle was smooth, so nothing was out of the ordinary.

Once I arrived home, I unplugged the battery for 5 mins to clear the light. I was expecting it to eventually show up again. I drove it around last night while doing some errands and it never came back! I did put gas earlier, but I always make sure the gas cap clicks. I did re-seat (loosen, then tighten) the gas cap just to make sure before I went for the drive. Do you think it could be caused by the gas cap? If it's one of the sensors, do you guys think it should have lit the Check Engine Light again by now? I did drive it for a good 20 or so km around the city, with a few stops here and there.

Thanks!
I see you live in Toronto, go to Mr. Transmission they will check the codes for free. Make sure you write down the code and then we can help you better. Depending on code it may take 100km or a certain amount of startups before coming back.