: 1999 Catera Starts, Runs For A Couple Minutes And Shuts Down

disisjc
01-18-08, 10:34 AM
Car starts when cold (it hasn't ran long enough to get hot yet, its new to me)and runs fine for a few minutes then shuts down and wont restart. Let it set overnite and it start up just fine but ran for short time and shut down again. Any ideas where I should start looking?
J.C.

elvin315
01-18-08, 11:05 AM
Car starts when cold (it hasn't ran long enough to get hot yet, its new to me)and runs fine for a few minutes then shuts down and wont restart. Let it set overnite and it start up just fine but ran for short time and shut down again. Any ideas where I should start looking?
J.C.

Just some forum advise from another member. You've started 3 threads regarding the same trouble. I know it's frustrating but multiple threads won't get you answers any quicker. It also makes it hard to follow the train of events. I suggest you ask the moderators to kill two of them and keep the one with the most replies. Just trying to help.

Elvin

disisjc
01-18-08, 03:38 PM
Just some forum advise from another member. You've started 3 threads regarding the same trouble. I know it's frustrating but multiple threads won't get you answers any quicker. It also makes it hard to follow the train of events. I suggest you ask the moderators to kill two of them and keep the one with the most replies. Just trying to help.

Elvin

Thanks Elvin for your advise, but I thought that as we get 1 problem fixed as another one arises that it was best to start a different thread. First it was that I had no power of anykind. that got resolved. Then it wouldn't start. Got that resolved. Then and now it will start but shutdown after a few minutes.. Anyhow if I have misunderstood how this forum works then I ask the Mods to erase what ever they think appropriate. Thanks again for all ya'lls help

sccatera97
01-18-08, 08:37 PM
I guess the first thing is does it turn over and not start or no electrical at all. If it turns over it can only be one of a few things: mechanical, igniton, fuel or computer related. It doesn't sound mechanical. I would say check the fuel pressure first, you can get a loaner from Autozone. Connect to the fuel pressure tap(located on the paasenger side rear of the engine in line of the fuel line and check the pressure while it is running and wait for it to dies. Does the fuel pressure drop before it cuts out?
While you do this, have someone watch the check engine light and see if it comes on before it cuts out.
If the fuel pressure drops before it dies, you may have a fuel pump problem. If the check engine light comes on before it dies , you may have a computer problem.
Try these things and post what you find and I will try to help you out some more.

disisjc
01-19-08, 05:47 PM
I guess the first thing is does it turn over and not start or no electrical at all. If it turns over it can only be one of a few things: mechanical, igniton, fuel or computer related. It doesn't sound mechanical. I would say check the fuel pressure first, you can get a loaner from Autozone. Connect to the fuel pressure tap(located on the paasenger side rear of the engine in line of the fuel line and check the pressure while it is running and wait for it to dies. Does the fuel pressure drop before it cuts out?
While you do this, have someone watch the check engine light and see if it comes on before it cuts out.
If the fuel pressure drops before it dies, you may have a fuel pump problem. If the check engine light comes on before it dies , you may have a computer problem.
Try these things and post what you find and I will try to help you out some more.

It turns over real well. I got it cranked this morning and watched the guages til it quit. Right before it stopped running the instrument lights came on as if you had turned on the headlights.. The check engine light never came on. I went to Auto Zone to get the loaner but they told me they didn't have one so I wasn't able to check the pressure. I went out right before I posted this and tried it and it tried one time to start and then it never tried again. It just turns over and over. After it set for overnight it will crank and run for about 3 to 5 min b4 it shuts down. Hope this make some kind of sense.

sccatera97
01-19-08, 09:11 PM
That's odd, the autozone near me has fuel pressure gauges to loan, anyway, it may be work spending the $25 or so dollars to buy one. I did some checking and it seems around here that the ECMs go on these cars. Does the check engine light come on when you first turn on the key during the bulb check? The second thing is, when you first start it up, will it rev freely? I know I had a Trans Am and the electric fuel pump started to die it would start every once in a while and then finally stopped all togther. The ingition module may be going bad also. I know when I seen motors for the Catera in the scrapyard, the modules sre slways gone. The module is on the back of the driver's side cylinder head and it real aggrivating to take off.
Kind of weird that the fuses were missing, check these things and see what happens.

sccatera97
01-19-08, 09:31 PM
Just had a idea, do you have the original key? The original key has a has a black plastic head with a gold Cadillac emblem. The reason I ask is, the anti-theft system will allow the car to start but will shut down the fuel and ignition after a few minutes. The key is a "transponder" key, it has a magnet in it that is read by the ECM through theft deterent module and if it is incorrect or damaged, the theft deterent system will, as the manual says,"interrupt the engine operation functions" This almost sounds like what you have going on.

elvin315
01-19-08, 09:53 PM
I mentioned that in one of his earlier threads before he discovered his fuses were missing. It still could be an issue. No factory key = no start.

Elvin

disisjc
01-20-08, 12:25 AM
Just had a idea, do you have the original key? The original key has a has a black plastic head with a gold Cadillac emblem. The reason I ask is, the anti-theft system will allow the car to start but will shut down the fuel and ignition after a few minutes. The key is a "transponder" key, it has a magnet in it that is read by the ECM through theft deterent module and if it is incorrect or damaged, the theft deterent system will, as the manual says,"interrupt the engine operation functions" This almost sounds like what you have going on.
It is black plastic but there is no cadillac emblem. The emblem may have been worn off. In the middle of the black plastic there is about 1/2 inch round silver metal area that looks like has had a lot of wear. What you describe is basicly what is happening with this car. How long does the theft deterent system take to re-set and allow the car to start again or does it vary. It seems like it has to set over night to crank again?

elvin315
01-20-08, 02:06 AM
The Catera Owners Manual: Immobilizer / Page 2-19
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2001catera.pdf

Not very useful.

Elvin

disisjc
01-20-08, 10:06 AM
The Catera Owners Manual: Immobilizer / Page 2-19
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2001catera.pdf

Not very useful.

Elvin

That picture of the key in the manual looks exactly like the one I have except for the Cadillac emblem, I believe it has been worn off. Also something I noticed is that the radio won't play. Don't know if that is important or not.

elvin315
01-20-08, 11:24 AM
I may be wrong but the radio has an anti theft feature rendering it useless if stolen. With the fuses pulled like they were, the radio might have "thought" it had been removed from the car. It will have to be reset. For that you need some kind of a code. That's all I know. I'm sure someone will elaborate.

From the owners Manual - page 3-26:

Theft-Deterrent Feature
THEFTLOCK is designed to discourage theft of your radio. Your vehicle has a “built-in” theft-deterrent feature on each radio that is automatic -- there is no programming required. The radio in your vehicle cannot be used in any other vehicle. When the radio was originally installed in your vehicle at the factory, it stored the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Each time the ignition is turned on, the VIN is verified. If the vehicle’s VIN does not match the VIN stored in the radio, THEFTLOCK will be activated and the audio system will not play. If the radio is removed from your vehicle, the original VIN in the radio can be used to trace the radio back to your vehicle.

Elvin

rinverso
01-20-08, 03:35 PM
I may be wrong but the radio has an anti theft feature rendering it useless if stolen. With the fuses pulled like they were, the radio might have "thought" it had been removed from the car. It will have to be reset. For that you need some kind of a code. That's all I know. I'm sure someone will elaborate.

From the owners Manual - page 3-26:

Elvin

to the best of my knowledge. removal of power, weather due to battery or fuse removal doesn't affect radio anti theft security. it would only cause you to reset the presets etc.. you would have to disconnect the rear plug and try to reinstall in another car, for the anti theft to operate. it only recogizes your computer vin # to operate. this is how it was explained to me. which makes me wonder how ebayers sell used catera stereo's.
robert
yes elvin i still owe you the bent valve award!!

sccatera97
01-20-08, 05:04 PM
Check fuses 8,10 and 15 in the interior of the car, the fuse panel that is under the dash knee pad. In the "immobilizer" diagnosis, it says to sheck fuse 10, but some of these system overlap in the fuse circuit usage. Also check and see if the theft deterent is working by putting the driver's window down, close the door, lock it with the reote and reach thru the open window and open the door. The alarm should go off. You the remote or ingnition switch to disarm. This should tell you if the theft deterent is working but not tell you if it is working correctly.

disisjc
01-22-08, 05:30 PM
Check fuses 8,10 and 15 in the interior of the car, the fuse panel that is under the dash knee pad. In the "immobilizer" diagnosis, it says to sheck fuse 10, but some of these system overlap in the fuse circuit usage. Also check and see if the theft deterent is working by putting the driver's window down, close the door, lock it with the reote and reach thru the open window and open the door. The alarm should go off. You the remote or ingnition switch to disarm. This should tell you if the theft deterent is working but not tell you if it is working correctly.

I called my daughter and had her check the alarm the way that you said and it is working. She said the slot for the #10 fuse is empty.

sccatera97
01-22-08, 06:47 PM
According to the shop manual, Fuse # 10 uses the following:
Body control module,Auxiliary water pump,Heater and A/C controls,Fan control relay K28, Fan control relay K52, Fan control Relay K67, ECM cooling blower, ECM relay K48 and Auxiliary water pump relay K22.
This may be hard to follow but the important thing is the BCM function, it ties into other systems. I took the fuse out of my car to see what happened and the radio doesn't work. It also ran a little weird. I didn't have time to wait and see if it died.I would put a fuse ( red 10 amp) in a see what happens, it sure isn't going to hurt it.

disisjc
01-22-08, 08:15 PM
Thanks,
I will call her and tell her to install a 10 amp fuse and c what happens. Also I have been reading a lot about the crankshaft position sensor and it has a lot of my problems associated with it. I went a head and ordered one from RockAuto. If the fuse doesn't fix then when I get back down to Florida I will install the cps and hope.

guardian
01-24-08, 01:52 PM
Sounds to me like you have a plugged fuel filter. That's the first thing I'd check, anyway.:tisk:

Good luck!!

disisjc
01-25-08, 12:39 PM
Sounds to me like you have a plugged fuel filter. That's the first thing I'd check, anyway.:tisk:

Good luck!!
Thanks but where is the fuel filter located on this car?

sccatera97
01-25-08, 06:22 PM
It is located just forward of the fuel tank on the passenger side rear.

disisjc
01-28-08, 01:10 PM
thanks will check.

disisjc
02-22-08, 02:55 PM
Thanks to every one who helped. I replace the cps and it runs and cranks just fine now.