: Bought a new-to-me car yesterday.

Spyder
01-17-08, 01:33 PM
Simple grocery-getter/commuter/saving money until April when my many-years-old exhibition of speed ticket goes off my record and my insurance drops from 120 a month for basic coverage on an '86 4Runner to 78 a month for full coverage on a leased '05 4Runner.

It's a '96 Honda Accord. Yea, I fit in it, somehow. It's got a four cylinder, runs amazingly well and is very clean both inside and out. The only downside is its an automatic, but the price was right at four thousand out the door, after tax, title, license, smog and all other "applicable" fees. I paid cash for it and the resale will still be right about four grand in four or five months when I find something else to buy.

It's a four door, the dark green honda color that actually looks halfway decent. Blue on this particular model with options is somewhere just north of 6,000. I got a big discount because in the big storms we had out here a week ago it was parked next to the dealers building and a bunch of the roof came off and landed on the car. It made a whole bunch of what looks like scratchs on the deck lid and on the hood, and there's some tar from the shingles on the rear quarter panels...but I can easily buff everything out myself and its well worth the two thousand dollar discount he gave me because of it. Only one small dent in the trunk lid, and its something that I didn't even notice until I'd inspected it again after bringing it home...which means its really small.

Good deal, eh. It'll get me around, albeit boringly, for a few months and save me a BUNCH of fuel and maintenance costs over my other options. It's got A/C and manual windows (I don't like electric on older cars, too easy for them to quit working). I can run basic insurance on it and save more money there, and I've decided I'm keeping the Toyota and building it into a fun weekend rig. I've got a lead on a solid axle for the front of it that's got me excited.

I'll put pics up if anyone is interested...

Oh yea. The trunk is big enough for my standard "trunk survival kit." Full change of clothes, heavy sweater, first aid kit, non-perishable food and water for two days, duct tape, tool kit, electrical tape and a medium bore rifle with spare ammo. I keep all the crap in my trunk that I may need for a spontaneous weekend run to the mountains...because I've been known to take off on a moments notice for a five or six hundred mile drive, just for the hell of it, and I never want to bother stopping at home to pack.

nickc50310
01-17-08, 01:46 PM
Awesome!! Congrats buddy!

Theres only one pic I want- YOU IN THE ACCORD! :crybaby::eek:

EcSTSatic
01-17-08, 01:47 PM
I'm looking for a cheap econobox D/D myself. They go fast (sales wise), especially in the under $1K range I'm looking. I want something that will average 25MPG or better.

Spyder
01-17-08, 01:48 PM
Eh, this thing, so far, seems to get RIDICULOUSLY good mileage. Of course, the best I've ever gotten in any of the now-28 vehicles I've owned is the 4Runner at 21 or so on the highway and 15 or so around town.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-08, 01:59 PM
Nice little cars....just simple, reliable and efficent. My grandpa had a few of those mid '90s models back in the day, and I always kinda liked the design, especially the taillights, for whatever reason.

I'd be interested to see some pics, especially of you standing by it. :eek:

Is it the DX, LX or EX?

Rolex
01-17-08, 02:12 PM
My sister had a 96' Accord 4 door when I was in college. She let me take it to Florida one spring break and I got that thing up to 130. Not bad at all for a 4 banger. Pics?

gdwriter
01-17-08, 03:44 PM
James, I had a '95 Accord LX coupe from 1995 to 1998. Put 57,000 miles on it with zero -- repeat -- zero repairs. Just oil changes and other routine maintenance, plus a new set of tires. It was the most trouble-free car I ever owned.

As I've said before, although people who care nothing about cars gravitate to Accords and Camrys for their reliability and resale value, an Accord can be rewarding to drive (unlike the Camry). Both of my Accords made good power for 4-bangers, had sweet steering and handling characteristics, and were very comfortable. The trunks are surprisingly big for a small car.

And yes, they're excellent on gas. I routinely averaged in the high 20s in a mix of highway and city driving, and I'd even get over 30 on road trips, and that was with the cruise set at 75-80 MPH.

firstimecaddi
01-17-08, 04:50 PM
@ ILUVCADDYS....what do you know about Kaiser Sohzay(sp)...cool though

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-08, 05:52 PM
@ ILUVCADDYS....what do you know about Kaiser Sohzay(sp)...cool though

I know he was Kevin Spacey.

gdwriter
01-17-08, 06:10 PM
I know he was Kevin Spacey.Actually, Kevin Spacey played Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects (http://imdb.com/title/tt0114814/). The actual identity of Keyser Söze is, IIRC, left open to interpretation.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-08, 06:49 PM
I thought Kevin was Verbal, who was Keyser...as he made up the entire story, because there would have been no one to argue with him, because everyone else in the story was dead.

Spyder
01-17-08, 07:29 PM
Huh?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-08, 07:40 PM
What I meant by that was Kevin could have told the story any way he wanted to, and changed anything to fit because he was the only person involved the story that was still alive to tell it.

Cadillacboy
01-18-08, 05:59 PM
lol, congrats ,enjoy it :D

AlBundy
01-18-08, 07:05 PM
Let's see pics.

CadillacSTS42005
01-19-08, 10:00 AM
id rather spend a small fortune and drive a v 8
then drive a 4 banger
that said congrats just not my choice

Spyder
01-19-08, 11:42 AM
Nah, I agree with you entirely...but two twenty a month for insurance and four hundred a month on fuel, vs. 65 a month for insurance and 120 a month on fuel is a big bargainer for me. Especially when you remember that I work in the restaurant/bar industry and the next three months are notoriously SLOW and I'll be making about 2/3 of what I normally do.

Plus, that's what the Challenger is for. The money I'm saving by driving the Honda is all going to be put into getting the Challenger up and running. That 'ol 440 will save my manhood. :D