: 2001 Cadillac SLS LD8 Bore-increase

Seville44
01-16-08, 02:18 PM
Has anyone had a bore-increase done on their northstars? Is it recommended if the car has a lot of mileage? How much will this job cost me?

Submariner409
01-16-08, 04:27 PM
The cast-in liners in a N* cannot be bored. There are no oversized service pistons for the engine. Replacement rings are available and are standard bore size, and no honing is recommended before replacement. There will be no wear ridge. If you have a deeply scored or cracked liner, block replacement is in order. AJxtcman (GM/Cadillac Tech) posted quite a treatise on this about 6 months ago.

CadillacSTS42005
01-16-08, 04:39 PM
lol
you bought the WRONG car to start tearing down an engine with...

NHRATA01
01-25-08, 03:29 PM
The cast-in liners in a N* cannot be bored. There are no oversized service pistons for the engine. Replacement rings are available and are standard bore size, and no honing is recommended before replacement. There will be no wear ridge. If you have a deeply scored or cracked liner, block replacement is in order. AJxtcman (GM/Cadillac Tech) posted quite a treatise on this about 6 months ago.

Hmm, if the bore is damaged beyond use, is it possible to resleeve a N*? Just thinking aloud...people do it on the LS-series V8s all the time. Machine out the old sleeve, drop in a replacement.

Ranger
01-25-08, 04:29 PM
No, The sleeves are cast in place. To the best of my knowledge, it is not doable or recommended.

JC316
01-25-08, 04:47 PM
I don't see how it would be damaged. My 98's sleeve looked like brand new, no wear at all.

AJxtcman
01-25-08, 06:22 PM
I see a lot of wear in the bores. I check everyone I have done. I own a nice bore gauge. I have a spread sheet on my work PC. I just input the numbers and print it off for warranty purposes

flyinlow
01-26-08, 12:27 AM
CHRF does bore out and re sleave N* engines
They use a more consistant wall thickness than stock and recomend it even for newer blocks if serious boost is going to be used.

Submariner409
01-26-08, 09:50 AM
Talking about a CHRF sand rail engine and a DeVille daily driver engine in the same thread is a severe case of apples and oranges which leads people, particularly new arrivals, to begin fantasies of 450 HP N*'s in Mom's grocery getter.

NHRATA01
01-26-08, 03:30 PM
CHRF does bore out and re sleave N* engines
They use a more consistant wall thickness than stock and recomend it even for newer blocks if serious boost is going to be used.

Yeah I wouldn't see why you couldn't at least try it - the LS's also have a cast-in-block sleeve. Typically you CNC machine it out to very tight tolerances so you don't hit a water jacket and leave enough wall material in the block. Then cryo-freeze the sleeve and press it in place. Doesn't always work, sometimes they do drop. Seems like a viable option over purchasing a new block, depends if it would be cost advantageous though. Versus a salvaged motor, not likely, but probably worth it over a GM replacement.

flyinlow
01-26-08, 06:44 PM
Talking about a CHRF sand rail engine and a DeVille daily driver engine in the same thread is a severe case of apples and oranges which leads people, particularly new arrivals, to begin fantasies of 450 HP N*'s in Mom's grocery getter.
The performance mods I would agree with you on, as even the cams would probably not be the best for a heavy daily driver as they may kill low end torque but sleeving the block should be fine and they do have the experience to do it.
That being said, for a daily driver it would probably be cheaper to get a core engine with a good block and use it to build the engine on, since the stronger cylinders are not needed.