: "The Cadi Saabs Are Coming!"

Ralph
05-12-04, 01:49 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7118

Ralph
05-12-04, 03:45 PM
Hey Ian, I wouldn't mind hearing your impressions of what Cadillac is up to. Can you say CIMMERON. :hmm:

elwesso
05-12-04, 10:42 PM
Like the catera, its a great idea but I doubt theyll be able to pull it off

BTW ralph is CIMARRON!!!!!! Or maybe they spell it different in Canadia.....?

Ralph
05-13-04, 04:46 AM
Like the catera, its a great idea but I doubt theyll be able to pull it off

BTW ralph is CIMARRON!!!!!! Or maybe they spell it different in Canadia.....?

Did you read the whole article?? I don't know if it's a good idea because like the author implied, it will water down Cadillac's image that took so long to recover from AFTER making cars like the Cimmer (that I can spell :p ). People aren't fooled by knockoffs.

If they start making affordable Cadillacs in China for the Chinese market (because their economy is booming) I fear it will degrade the prestige reputation of Cadillac, as well as affect the resale value of them here?!

maydog
05-13-04, 08:22 AM
I do not completely aggree with the article. He is trying to say that it is like mercedes using a Neon to make an entry luxury car. I believe that Saabs are already luxury or near luxury vehicles, right? At least the ones over here seem to be pretty well apointed and have a good build quality. Why not have a european counterpart make Cadillac's image fit europeans.

I agree with the Daewoo part, let chevy do that deal.

El Dobro
05-13-04, 11:54 AM
Daewoo just gave Chevy the Aveo. Lucky us.

lowscola
05-13-04, 01:35 PM
It depends on how the Cadillac brand is viewed over there. Americans are very brand concious and loyall. If europe is exited for Cadillac, maybee it will work. Japan has been very sucessfull with the toyota, nissan, & honda rebranding to luxury marquis over here. We buy an acura tsx over here which sells as a run-of-the-mill accord family sedan over there. Lexus is making it's initial debut in Japan this year while americans have been praising their toyotas for 10 years.

Everyone else in the world knows branding means alot more in America. The person who has an LS430 doesn't want the same logo as the person with the Corolla.

Volkswagen tried to go against the grain with their Phaeton sedan, which is very nice but myself, and a lot of other people can't look past the big VW on the trunk. Put four interlaced circles on the phaeton and it'll be a different story.

And Scion too. Toyota has the boring but very relliable/practical thing and lexus is, price wise, out of reach for most. So they think they can recapture the lost market with a young people targeted Scion brand.

Ralph
05-13-04, 03:39 PM
Your points are well taken! Another concern, however, is that mention that Saabs are not selling well in Europe right now. They only sold 19,500 in a three month period, so is it worth spending (possibly millions) money re-tooling just to take a chance. Personally I think a failure in Europe MIGHT bring the price of Cadillacs up in NA to cover the loss? Just a thought.

If Saab lost the estimated 3-4 billion in Europe, should Cadillac risk going down in a sinking ship? I still am not sure, but it would be more than money at stake, reputation would be at stake also. :hmm:

tru504187211
05-13-04, 04:14 PM
Read the article, but didn't see how much Cadillac plans to initially put into this project. I'm just trying to see what is the absolute worse they could lose in these foreign markets...

Ralph
05-13-04, 09:32 PM
Read the article, but didn't see how much Cadillac plans to initially put into this project. I'm just trying to see what is the absolute worse they could lose in these foreign markets...

Good point! As soon as the numbers are out, I'll put 'em up.

tru504187211
05-13-04, 10:20 PM
Just trying to figure out in my head how much Cadillac could possibly lose, but it couldn't count for how much theyd lose if it pulled down their reputation back here in North America. Anybody know of any other history of another Car company going overseas, plumeting in the new area, and subsequently having the original domestic market hurt much as well?