: does not have any electrical function

disisjc
01-15-08, 04:46 PM
Hi all,
Just bought a 1999 catera sight unseen and now that I have gotten it home it has no electrical at all. Can some one point me in the right direction to maybe find the (master) fuse that might contol all the electrical functions. Is there some control or something that would keep all the power off the car?
Also I have the car on the dolly and am not able to get it out of park to get it off. Any ideas how I can get it out of park so that I can unload it.
Thanks
J.C.

sccatera97
01-15-08, 05:44 PM
To get the car our of park, you need to release the shifter boot. If you squeeze the sides of the boot at the trim plate, it should release and pull it up. Then look under the plate towards the driver's side of the shifter and you will see a white, square shaped lever. Push it down and the shifter will come out of park.
The Fuse panel is on the driver's side under the knee pad. If you look under the dash, you will see two fasteners that look like large flat blade screws. Turn them, I think counter clock wise about a half turn and they should release. The panel will slide UP and come off.The other fuse block is on top of the battery, rectangular shaped box that is connected to a odd shaped box.
Hope this helps, if it doesn't I can be more deatiled.

disisjc
01-15-08, 08:21 PM
To get the car our of park, you need to release the shifter boot. If you squeeze the sides of the boot at the trim plate, it should release and pull it up. Then look under the plate towards the driver's side of the shifter and you will see a white, square shaped lever. Push it down and the shifter will come out of park.
The Fuse panel is on the driver's side under the knee pad. If you look under the dash, you will see two fasteners that look like large flat blade screws. Turn them, I think counter clock wise about a half turn and they should release. The panel will slide UP and come off.The other fuse block is on top of the battery, rectangular shaped box that is connected to a odd shaped box.
Hope this helps, if it doesn't I can be more deatiled.
Thanks for the reply. That worked real well for getting it out of park. But can you think of any fuse, relay, breaker that would keep the car from getting any power. The car is completely dead.
Tnks
J.C.

sccatera97
01-15-08, 10:13 PM
Have you checked the fuses in the power distribution block located on top of the battery? They contain maxi fuses.You can also check the ground cable, it runs down the block behind the power steering pump. Have you checked the fuse links at the starter? If this doesn't work, I can do more research.

disisjc
01-16-08, 07:48 AM
Have you checked the fuses in the power distribution block located on top of the battery? They contain maxi fuses.You can also check the ground cable, it runs down the block behind the power steering pump. Have you checked the fuse links at the starter? If this doesn't work, I can do more research.
Yes I've checked all those ideas. Is there some kind of safety or theft contol that blocks all power?

elvin315
01-16-08, 08:20 AM
The key has a chip in it that signals the Imobilizer theft deterrent system. My keys have it so I don't know the effect of trying to start the car with a non-factory key. I'm sure someone here knows more about it. But you say all power is dead. Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors? If not it has to be very basic like a dead battery.

Elvin

disisjc
01-16-08, 08:44 AM
The key has a chip in it that signals the Imobilizer theft deterrent system. My keys have it so I don't know the effect of trying to start the car with a non-factory key. I'm sure someone here knows more about it. But you say all power is dead. Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors? If not it has to be very basic like a dead battery.Elvin,

I put a charger on the battery and nothing. The lights do not turn on. There is no visible sign of power of any kind.

satse
01-16-08, 11:36 AM
Double check the ground and positive battery terminals (starter and battery) for good connections and any corrosion. The positive cable's crimping often fails, so use a multimeter and check the connector.

disisjc
01-16-08, 07:58 PM
Double check the ground and positive battery terminals (starter and battery) for good connections and any corrosion. The positive cable's crimping often fails, so use a multimeter and check the connector.

Well still no joy. I bought a new battery, installed and still no power anywhere. The cable seems to be in good shape but have not used a multimeter on it yet. Can't seem to find my meter, but will locate and check. Any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks
J.C.

disisjc
01-16-08, 07:59 PM

When u say crimping do you mean where the cable is attached to the part that connects to the battery

sccatera97
01-16-08, 09:50 PM
When you find your meter, check and see if you have voltage at the starter on the big cable. If you don't, check the resistance from end to end of the cable. Check and see the resistance on the negative cable too. Check both end of the cables where they are connected to the wire because they can get corrosion between the wire under the insulation and the connector. It may be worth removing the starter and have it tested.If the starter solenoid is bad, it may be affecting the current.

satse
01-16-08, 10:51 PM
When u say crimping do you mean where the cable is attached to the part that connects to the battery

Exactly

Double check those fuses in the power distribution block and make sure the tabs are not corroded.

disisjc
01-17-08, 02:51 PM
Exactly

Double check those fuses in the power distribution block and make sure the tabs are not corroded.
On top of the battery there are some white connections. Is there suppose to be some fuses in there. It says on the plastic part that there is access to the postive terminal and maxie fuses. It looks like there could be plug-ins but there are no fuses. This is the little plastic box on top of the battery. I found out it is called the power distribution fuse block, but I don't see any fuses in it.
Thanks
J.C.

disisjc
01-17-08, 03:13 PM
ah ha I think I am finally on the same page with ya'll. I just re-read all the replys to my problem. I now realize that the fuses by the battery are not in the power distribution block, which is what I though everyone was talking about. Now can some one tell me exactly what maxi fuses are suppose to be in the power dist block which is on TOP of the battery not beside it. Maybe a picture of yours if you have one. Thanks
J.C.