: Oil Pump priming

silky2
01-15-08, 01:57 PM
Hi All
I just changed the engine in my 1999 Catera. The new engine came out of a 2000 catera. 54,000 miles. My problem is there is no oil getting the the lifters. Prior to the recycler removing the engine I heard it run jst fine.

Any tricks out there to priming the pump ? I had read on some other engines that you could over fill with additional 5-6 qts of oil to prime it and drain the additional off befor driving. I am hoping to avoid pulling the engine again.

I appreciate any comments.

frank moran
01-15-08, 02:04 PM
Hi All
I just changed the engine in my 1999 Catera. The new engine came out of a 2000 catera. 54,000 miles. My problem is there is no oil getting the the lifters. Prior to the recycler removing the engine I heard it run jst fine.

Any tricks out there to priming the pump ? I had read on some other engines that you could over fill with additional 5-6 qts of oil to prime it and drain the additional off befor driving. I am hoping to avoid pulling the engine again.

I appreciate any comments.

apparently you have the engine running, is there oil pressure ? if so the lifters probably leaked down if the engine sat for a length of time. If you have oil pressure just let it run for awhile and the lifters will fill and the noise will go away. The key is that you have oil pressure, if you do the pump is full of oil and doing it's job.

silky2
01-15-08, 02:18 PM
No oil pressure and I have 6 quiarts in.
Thanks

frank moran
01-15-08, 03:05 PM
Thanks

how do you know you have no pressure, is the guage wire hooked up, possibly you missed it on the install?? do you know the engine history, did the engine have oil pressure before the install???

frank moran
01-15-08, 03:18 PM
Thanks

how do you know you have no pressure, is the guage wire hooked up, possibly you missed it on the install?? do you know the engine history, did the engine have oil pressure before the install???

silky2
01-16-08, 10:22 AM
don't know engine history. The isnstaller hooked up a computer somehwere under the dash and says he wasn't getting an oil pressure reading.

He tried the additional oil over fill idea to prime the pump and I am waiting on the results.If it fails I will go back to the recycler who still claims it's a good engine.

frank moran
01-16-08, 11:32 AM
don't know engine history. The isnstaller hooked up a computer somehwere under the dash and says he wasn't getting an oil pressure reading.

He tried the additional oil over fill idea to prime the pump and I am waiting on the results.If it fails I will go back to the recycler who still claims it's a good engine.

My suggestion for your mechanic would first put a mechanical oil pressure guage on the engine, this will determine if you have either an engine mechanical problem or if you have an electrical/computor/wiring problem. R&Ring the engine a wire may be pinced or mis routed etc.

silky2
01-19-08, 10:02 AM
Thanks, mechanic used external guage first and it shows no pressure.ressure. he is going to check oil cooler next to make sure it is not clogged.
funny thing is we both heard this engine run at the recyclers for 20 minutes and it sounded great until he installed it and fire up.

I am going to give up if the oil coller inspection comes up fine.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears, but I am getting to the end of hope as much as I love this Catera.

frank moran
01-19-08, 05:00 PM
silky, this does not make sense, you heard the engine run and it was good, was it in the donor car when you heard it? and did you see what the oil pressure gauge showed???? the oil cooler is not the problem. Just a thought and stretch...did the mech put in a new oil filter? if so is it the correct filter? the fact that he says it has no oil pressure vs low pressure is very confusing....assuming the engine had oil pressure before the install it should have it now. I know this may not help but sometimes the most obvious is over looked. Keep us posted..