: White Smoke coming from front of car

dano2407
01-15-08, 02:09 PM
I have a 97 cadillac deville. I have white smoke coming from the engine. This usually happens after i run it hard or go up a steep hill. Pretty much when it gets hot. Its hard to tell where its coming from. When you see the smoke when you are inside the car, it comes from the front and mostly from the front side of the car. It doesnt do it that long. And you only notice it when you are at a stop light or stop sign. It quits after a while. Any suggestions?

Submariner409
01-15-08, 02:50 PM
It's either oil or coolant dripping on an exhaust manifold or onto the crossover under the transmission/engine joint. In COLD weather, maybe a cracked radiator tank. Are you losing coolant....ANY coolant ?? What does the "smoke" smell like ?

Ranger
01-15-08, 09:43 PM
Steam more likely than smoke. I would suspect a cracked radiator side tank from your description.

Zorb750
01-16-08, 01:23 AM
I've seen it from the projection on the surge tank where the purge line fits. It can crack and not be noticed, especially along the bottom of the piece. This can happen when installing a battery.

dano2407
01-16-08, 01:48 PM
I have checked on my antifreze for about 2 months now it does not seem to be losing any at all. I even put a little in it and checked up on it and made sure the level of antifreeze stayed in the same spot. And it does. While changing oil one time i did notice underneath the car where the exhaust crossover is a burnt oil spot looks like oil has leaked somewhere and it drips on it and just burns there. It does smell like burnt oil i was just hopeing that it wasnt a head gasket problem. I will check my surge tank also. Doesnt seem like anything is dripping from the radiator. I will also check it though. Thanks alot guys.

Submariner409
01-16-08, 04:32 PM
There are threads concerning an oil leak onto the crossover exhaust pipe. Nuisance, and apparently not too easy to fix.

I hate to say it again but "Start searchin' ".

You should be very happy (delirious) that you're not losing coolant.

CadillacSTS42005
01-16-08, 04:38 PM
sry i had to be the jag off here
do you have blown hgs and are driving in reverse?
lol
sorry

Ranger
01-16-08, 05:38 PM
I have checked on my antifreze for about 2 months now it does not seem to be losing any at all. I even put a little in it and checked up on it and made sure the level of antifreeze stayed in the same spot. And it does. While changing oil one time i did notice underneath the car where the exhaust crossover is a burnt oil spot looks like oil has leaked somewhere and it drips on it and just burns there. It does smell like burnt oil i was just hopeing that it wasnt a head gasket problem. I will check my surge tank also. Doesnt seem like anything is dripping from the radiator. I will also check it though. Thanks alot guys.
Well, as mentioned, that is good news. No, it's not a head gasket. Sounds like an oil cooler line or oil filter adapter leak. Cheap easy fix.

dano2407
01-17-08, 02:44 PM
Cheap well what parts do i need to get? And CadillacSTS2003 i dont get it. LoL.

Submariner409
01-17-08, 05:33 PM
If you have an oil leak from the adapter or cooler lines, you'll have oil on the engine and ground on the passenger side "front" of the engine and radiator tank. At the oil filter area. The exhaust crossover is under what you would normally think of as the bellhousing, on the driver's side, under where the transmission joins the engine.

How often do you have to add oil in order to maintain it at the recommended level, center of the dipstick hashmark?

Ranger
01-17-08, 06:21 PM
Cheap well what parts do i need to get?
Depends on what is leaking. If it is the filter adapter, I think it seals with an "O" ring. If it is a leaky pressure switch, you'll need a new switch. If it is the cooler lines, I am not sure how they seal. Maybe an "O" ring or just snug them down. Fist you have to inspect it.

Zorb750
01-19-08, 02:31 PM
Engine oil makes thicker blue smoke (you should know that) and trans oil makes lighter, white, somewhat more acrid smoke when smoke when it burns. PS Fluid is a nasty, odd smelling grayish white smoke when it burns.

Trans cooler lines cause this sometimes. Your oil cooler lines won't get much onto exhaust parts if they leak, nor will the sensor.

dano2407
01-29-08, 12:33 PM
About 2 times after an oil change. I have noticed oil on the ground to.

dano2407
02-05-08, 04:17 PM
About a quart every oil change. There is oil on the ground for sure. What parts do i need to get and where can i get them at?

Ranger
02-05-08, 06:31 PM
Can't tell you what parts to get without knowing what is leaking.

dano2407
04-10-08, 11:56 AM
Okay thanks guys. With that said so your saying if it was oil the smoke that was coming out would be blue? In the front that is. But its a white smoke. I took it to my uncle last week which owns his own shop to change brakes and rotate tires, and change oil. While in the air me and him checked for leaks there was quite a bit of oil on and around the oil pan. we looked all over checked the oil level sensor cooler lines and the seemed just fine. Looked like everything above the oil pan was dry. So we think its the oil pan gasket. It does look like the person that owned it before me tried to put some sealant around the gasket to maybe slow the leak down. Of course there is caked oil on the exhaust crossover. We cleaned off everything. I never knew brake dust cleaner would clean that good but thats what he sprayed on everything and it cleaned it off nicely. But i am thinking now could something else be leaking. Could antifreeze be leaking somewhere causing a white smoke? It definetely happens when i climb big hills and have to come to a stop at a red light. Notice the smoke then. My temp stays around 196 to 200. I have seen it get around 224 after climbing a big hill. But it did drop. I dont think its transmission fluid neither. When we do the oil pan gasket we will be able to see more and check more things around the engine.

krimson_cardnal
04-10-08, 01:06 PM
Bets on a coolant leak. Front side of car means little. Passenger or drives side. Suggest taking 'er out for a ride to get everything to full temp. Park and leave engine running. Pop the hood, lite a smoke and look around in there very carefully. With pressure in the cooling system a leak will more than not appear. Pay close attention to the drivers side of the engine. Take your time.

The oil leaks you describe sort of come with the territory. Not giving you the "smoke" issue though. K_C

dano2407
04-10-08, 01:31 PM
Okay thanks alot man. Wouldnt be head gasket problem would it? Sure hope not. Doesnt seem to be coming from anywhere up on top of the engine around the hoses and thermostat. Can anything leak onto the manifold?

Ranger
04-10-08, 03:41 PM
Head gaskets rarely leak externally. To change the pan gasket you're gonna have to drop the drivetrain.

krimson_cardnal
04-10-08, 05:45 PM
Coolant can leak on the manifold. What's it smell like - the smoke that is. You still seeing it? K_C

dano2407
04-11-08, 10:36 AM
Yes i do see it. I do think it smells like coolant burning on something. But i thought the smoke was coming from the oil leaking onto the crossover manifold but its not where the smoke is coming from. Just white smoke. Cant see it or doesnt happen all the time. Just got to look around. Going to check some more threads to see where common coolant leaks happen. Thanks again guys

krimson_cardnal
04-11-08, 12:00 PM
Side tanks (1) on the radiator fail, upper hose (2) goes but a wear failure over on the drivers side as it crosses under the radiator support, any heater hose (3) can fail, that's were I found my last leak only a month ago. Was a 3/4" by-pass line that's way down below the t-stat housing. Those hoses tend to degrade expand then rub in a tight place. This one was a little pisser that was going on for a while till it finally popped. Then it wasn't catastrophic, just a little squirt shooting out. Took a close look with the engine at op temp parked w/ the hood up. Looking back the tell tale was a slight sweet smell over a bit of time. K_C

tateos
04-11-08, 02:02 PM
Could it be the coolant crossover? Lots of places to leak and drop on the crossover exhaust pipe. When I did my HG project, I could see a lot of residue that indicated 2 of the 4 gaskets were leaking coolant.