: 09-V Causing a stir

v84life
01-15-08, 01:26 AM
Been trolling around on other boards and its got people talking and most of it very positive even from the German brands. Guys and gals this car has alot riding on the first test-drive .If it performs like it should this car could be a investment.. Suck the doors off a M5 seems to ring a bell:lildevil:

I'm rolling the dice on this one, getting a early delivery:D

cbloveday
01-15-08, 03:14 PM
me too. Dealer gets allocation in June. Delivery sept/October

Looks like my options will be:

Recaro Seats
67U Light platinum color
194 Ebony interior
Optional TR 6060 manual

thebigjimsho
01-15-08, 04:49 PM
I'll have to settle for my little, old '04 for the next 2 years...

v84life
01-16-08, 12:33 AM
me too. Dealer gets allocation in June. Delivery sept/October

Looks like my options will be:

Recaro Seats
67U Light platinum color
194 Ebony interior
Optional TR 6060 manual

Options are on the money but I might try a different color this time....

v84life
01-16-08, 12:40 AM
I'll have to settle for my little, old '04 for the next 2 years...

That is a killer shot of your car and I assume you driving... Hope to do that in the 09V.:cool2:

thebigjimsho
01-16-08, 12:59 AM
That is a killer shot of your car and I assume you driving... Hope to do that in the 09V.:cool2:Thank you. Yes, it's mine and me. If and when I get a Gen II V, I probably won't track it much. I may keep the '04 for that until I get a dedicated track car. It will be interesting to see how well the new V will handle.

The current V is such a great handler at the track...

v84life
01-16-08, 01:17 AM
Launch control , if this works well it very well be the fastest 4 dr sedan period.:thepan: The sedan world is getting a red white and blue black eye.:stirpot:

HiTechRV
01-16-08, 11:12 AM
The magnetic ride should make it handle very well. The 'vettes that have the previous gneration of it do, and this one is better on the track.

Mystical_Ice
01-16-08, 12:39 PM
Launch control , if this works well it very well be the fastest 4 dr sedan period.:thepan: The sedan world is getting a red white and blue black eye.:stirpot:

haha. nice...

tblack
01-16-08, 04:24 PM

I can't see them doing any sort of actual launch control system. If they are I will be heading to my Cadillac dealership after work to order one.

Who am I kidding, I'm ordering one anyway.

atdeneve
01-16-08, 04:29 PM
He's probably referring to the performance traction management.

v84life
01-16-08, 07:14 PM
Yeah I think thats how they word it.. This system is also going to help wheel hop as well. Ajusting the shocks to counter the hop...We will know soon if GM got this system dialed in ,this is going to be one killer package...:thumbsup:

BowenCT
01-16-08, 10:31 PM
Thank you. Yes, it's mine and me.

BigJim, is that at Lime Rock? If so, how was it in the V? I have been there many times, but never on the track. A buddy of mine runs a 280Z and a Miata up there, and has been grilling me to run my car.

thebigjimsho
01-17-08, 12:18 AM
BigJim, is that at Lime Rock? If so, how was it in the V? I have been there many times, but never on the track. A buddy of mine runs a 280Z and a Miata up there, and has been grilling me to run my car.Nah, that was Grattan in Michigan. I still haven't been to Lime Rock in the V. I do want to get down to the new track in South Jersey later this year.

Lime Rock is expensive. But I'd be up to go, especially if you wanted to meet up...

v84life
01-17-08, 01:04 AM
What is next and when is it?

Katshot
01-17-08, 02:12 PM
Only time will tell whether this V will carve a serious impression in the world market or not. The Gen 1 "could have" and probably "should have" but too many "issues" plagued it for many beyond the Cadillac community to see the car as anything more than a "nice car for a Cadillac".
Unfortunately, all we have to go on is pictures and spec sheets. Hopefully, when the actual car gets into the hands of true enthusiasts, it won't disappoint. If not, and if unforeseen "issues" don't shoot it in the foot after launch, the car sure "looks" like it could finally give us all something to be truly proud of.
Here's hopin'!!!

thebigjimsho
01-17-08, 04:10 PM
Only time will tell whether this V will carve a serious impression in the world market or not. The Gen 1 "could have" and probably "should have" but too many "issues" plagued it for many beyond the Cadillac community to see the car as anything more than a "nice car for a Cadillac".
Unfortunately, all we have to go on is pictures and spec sheets. Hopefully, when the actual car gets into the hands of true enthusiasts, it won't disappoint. If not, and if unforeseen "issues" don't shoot it in the foot after launch, the car sure "looks" like it could finally give us all something to be truly proud of.
Here's hopin'!!!For a $50k car, the 1st Gen V makes me plenty proud...

P-Funk
01-17-08, 04:22 PM
For a $50k car, the 1st Gen V makes me plenty proud...

+1 :thumbsup:

Katshot
01-17-08, 04:34 PM

Don't get me wrong, the Gen 1 cars were very nice but all you need to do is read through any number of threads here on the V forum and you can see that even among the dedicated, there are a good deal of complaints about the cars. Couple that with the fact that the car's exterior/interior styling (especially the interior) left many wanting, and you can see where the car has a decent job ahead of it when it hits later this year. What it NEEDS to do is not only appeal to the small, already established group of GM enthusiasts but, be able to pull from all it's supposed competitors market shares. No small job like I said but I think this Gen 2 just might be up for the fight. It "seems" to have the goods but as I said, only time will tell whether Cadillac will shoot themselves in the foot yet again.

OldRoadDawg
01-17-08, 05:14 PM

+1 :thumbsup:
+2 :2thumbs:

I'm very impressed with the GenII... but I won't be there for awhile.

BowenCT
01-17-08, 06:28 PM
Lime Rock is expensive. But I'd be up to go, especially if you wanted to meet up...

Yeah, we'll certainly revisit this topic come springtime. Maybe we can get a group of forum members/owners to make a trip there. It is a beautiful track, and a wonderful drive to get there.

Thread-jack off.

urbanski
01-17-08, 06:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Gen 1 cars were very nice but all you need to do is read through any number of threads here on the V forum and you can see that even among the dedicated, there are a good deal of complaints about the cars.

have you looked in 08 CTS yet?

dwight.j.carter
01-17-08, 07:42 PM
Cars break it happens with anything. I think GM has a very solid car with the new V though a little pricey. As long as the seal in the differential holds up I think it will be a great car.

Katshot
01-17-08, 08:50 PM
have you looked in 08 CTS yet?

Yes, why?

v84life
01-17-08, 11:05 PM
Guys and Gals this car has to rock there is no other option for GM and Cadillac right now........There has been soooooo much more time in R and D and much more info from there racing program. ITS GOING TO ROCK:lildevil: Clicking my heels 3 times.....

FIVEOH!!!
01-18-08, 03:24 AM
Here's hopin'!!!

I can say I am plenty proud of my "V".. stock for stock I can pretty much beat a lot of the cars on I395, I495, I270 and I95. So far I am still on my original diff. Knock on wood. As far as serious impressions... I get looks on the road... and it's an 04.

Katshot
01-18-08, 06:50 AM
I can say I am plenty proud of my "V".. stock for stock I can pretty much beat a lot of the cars on I395, I495, I270 and I95. So far I am still on my original diff. Knock on wood. As far as serious impressions... I get looks on the road... and it's an 04.

You're missing the point. Nobody said the Gen 1 wasn't a good performer. That's the ONE thing that EVERYONE agrees on. The performance is nothing short of amazing. The problem is, while you, and quite a few others here are willing to concentrate on the car's performance as being all important, and overlook it's weak points, the rest of the market wants a more "rounded" vehicle, and had a problem with those weak points.

brentm368
01-18-08, 07:11 AM
You're missing the point. Nobody said the Gen 1 wasn't a good performer. That's the ONE thing that EVERYONE agrees on. The performance is nothing short of amazing. The problem is, while you, and quite a few others here are willing to concentrate on the car's performance as being all important, and overlook it's weak points, the rest of the market wants a more "rounded" vehicle, and had a problem with those weak points.

I've heard the weak points about the diff...but I have 50k on my 2005 with no problems...granted, I don't do clutch drops, I do however drive the crap out of it. I had a BMW Z3 M Coupe which had rear subframe issues, as in the whole rear subframe could tear apart given enough time and stress. There is a fix a forum member created, however it costs ~$3k installed. The diff fixes from my understanding are considerably less, and oftentimes covered under warranty.

I have a couple rattles, going to have them addressed at next service. My $90k Mercedes CL500 had a sunroof rattle as well...its a car, this will happen, especially with a firm suspension.

The interior isn't up to par for a $50k car, but then neither is the last generation M3 at the same price point, the M3 prior to that wasn't great either. So what, the navigation buttons chip...again, I had some issues similar on my CL500, my E36 M3 had a few issues. No car is going to be perfect, yet all enthusiasts expect that (read BMW, Benz forums, etc. for examples)

The car handles amazingly well for a big car (which it is). I am concerned as the new one is 4200 lbs...thats a bit too tubby for me...hell this is right at the limit in weight of a "fun" car.

The styling on my 05 I love. The new one...eh, with all the V6 CTS they are throwing mesh grills and rims on at the dealer...it won't quite have the same distinction and visual appeal as this one had over the base CTS.

We as enthusiasts only hear and post about the problems we have. I don't post often, because I rarely have issues. I have the 6 yr 100k warranty, and consequently drive the hell out of my car on Los Angeles streets. I may have stuff come up down the line, but in my experience, every vehicle I've owned (primarily German) have their own issues. 550hp sounds awesome, however 4200 lbs does not. I'd much rather have 450-500hp in a car that weighed considerably less. Just my opinion.

Katshot
01-18-08, 09:14 AM
I've heard the weak points about the diff...but I have 50k on my 2005 with no problems...granted, I don't do clutch drops, I do however drive the crap out of it. I had a BMW Z3 M Coupe which had rear subframe issues, as in the whole rear subframe could tear apart given enough time and stress. There is a fix a forum member created, however it costs ~$3k installed. The diff fixes from my understanding are considerably less, and oftentimes covered under warranty.

I have a couple rattles, going to have them addressed at next service. My $90k Mercedes CL500 had a sunroof rattle as well...its a car, this will happen, especially with a firm suspension.

The interior isn't up to par for a $50k car, but then neither is the last generation M3 at the same price point, the M3 prior to that wasn't great either. So what, the navigation buttons chip...again, I had some issues similar on my CL500, my E36 M3 had a few issues. No car is going to be perfect, yet all enthusiasts expect that (read BMW, Benz forums, etc. for examples)

The car handles amazingly well for a big car (which it is). I am concerned as the new one is 4200 lbs...thats a bit too tubby for me...hell this is right at the limit in weight of a "fun" car.

The styling on my 05 I love. The new one...eh, with all the V6 CTS they are throwing mesh grills and rims on at the dealer...it won't quite have the same distinction and visual appeal as this one had over the base CTS.

We as enthusiasts only hear and post about the problems we have. I don't post often, because I rarely have issues. I have the 6 yr 100k warranty, and consequently drive the hell out of my car on Los Angeles streets. I may have stuff come up down the line, but in my experience, every vehicle I've owned (primarily German) have their own issues. 550hp sounds awesome, however 4200 lbs does not. I'd much rather have 450-500hp in a car that weighed considerably less. Just my opinion.

Well said, and I totally agree. The problem is that the M3 enjoys a kind of reputation cushion that the CTS-V does not. Therefore, there will be little slack cut to it. Face it, when you intend to try to take down a competitor that's enjoyed many years as the "benchmark" of it's class, you have to bring your "A" game. Anything else will just fall short. I know it's not fair but that's the way life is in most competitive forums. For the CTS-V to actually displace the M3 as the king of the hill in it's class, it's got to not only beat it hands down in every conceivable way but also not shoot itself in the foot by having any critical "issues" pop up within the first year or so.
IMO, the Gen 1 'V' was a great car "for a Cadillac" but just not good enough to win over the intended market. Great first effort, now build on that, and show them you have what it takes to be the best. Patience and consistent effort will win, but that's NOT something GM tends to be very good at. They're good at sporadic greatness amongst constant mediocrity.

thebigjimsho
01-18-08, 04:34 PM
You're missing the point. Nobody said the Gen 1 wasn't a good performer. That's the ONE thing that EVERYONE agrees on. The performance is nothing short of amazing. The problem is, while you, and quite a few others here are willing to concentrate on the car's performance as being all important, and overlook it's weak points, the rest of the market wants a more "rounded" vehicle, and had a problem with those weak points.No, I understand. There is a certain acceptance point with these cars. And you do need a quality, willing dealership as well.

The scenario is like a scale. With some, the issues with the differential and headaches are too much. For me, the issues and changing how I drive, with no burnouts, is far outweighed by the joy of driving and owning this car...

Katshot
01-19-08, 10:05 AM
For me, the issues and changing how I drive, with no burnouts, is far outweighed by the joy of driving and owning this car...

But, if you could have that joy WITHOUT the idiosyncrasies........
I'm in a similar bind with my current love (My '03 Mustang). Love the car to death but seriously HATE the transmission. It's SO commonly known that the trans in these cars is junk, yet Ford won't do anything about it. Everyone I've talked to in the industry simply seems to feel it's something you have to "put up with", if you own the car. Drives me NUTS!!!! And in the end, quite possibly could be cause enough for me to get rid of the car and move on. The problem is, there just isn't anything else out there that combines ALL the same things my Mustang does;
1. Sports car size and handling
2. RWD
3. Powerful V8
4. Manual trans
5. Convertible top
6. Affordable price
I mean, yeah, I could buy a Corvette but I'm REALLY NOT a Corvette kind of guy, and face it, they're not anywhere near as affordable as a Mustang. Plus, I actually like having the back seat at times.

thebigjimsho
01-20-08, 02:31 AM
But, if you could have that joy WITHOUT the idiosyncrasies........
I'm in a similar bind with my current love (My '03 Mustang). Love the car to death but seriously HATE the transmission. It's SO commonly known that the trans in these cars is junk, yet Ford won't do anything about it. Everyone I've talked to in the industry simply seems to feel it's something you have to "put up with", if you own the car. Drives me NUTS!!!! And in the end, quite possibly could be cause enough for me to get rid of the car and move on. The problem is, there just isn't anything else out there that combines ALL the same things my Mustang does;
1. Sports car size and handling
2. RWD
3. Powerful V8
4. Manual trans
5. Convertible top
6. Affordable price
I mean, yeah, I could buy a Corvette but I'm REALLY NOT a Corvette kind of guy, and face it, they're not anywhere near as affordable as a Mustang. Plus, I actually like having the back seat at times.Believe me, I wish I could do nasty burnouts with my V. But I value my diff. With what GM seems to have addressed with a new rear and a revised geometry, hopefully the 550hp beast can make those 285mm meats go up in really expensive smoke...

CIWS
01-20-08, 10:54 AM
Believe me, I wish I could do nasty burnouts with my V. But I value my diff. With what GM seems to have addressed with a new rear and a revised geometry, hopefully the 550hp beast can make those 285mm meats go up in really expensive smoke...

Jim you've hit upon the real reason GM put a weak diff in the V, so you couldn't do burnouts. They just didn't want you smoking up those expensive F1 Supercars and blowing all of your hard earned cash on new tires.....

;)

Katshot
01-20-08, 11:35 AM
Believe me, I wish I could do nasty burnouts with my V. But I value my diff. With what GM seems to have addressed with a new rear and a revised geometry, hopefully the 550hp beast can make those 285mm meats go up in really expensive smoke...

Yeah, I DO enjoy doing that from time to time with the Mustang. It's also an easy way to get turned around in tight spaces! :D

thebigjimsho
01-20-08, 01:20 PM
It's also an easy way to get turned around in tight spaces! :DThat move is VERY underrated...

heavymetals
01-20-08, 03:17 PM

I would expect so with a totaly new rear end.

However, I expect some to wheel hop the thing to the point of shrapnel.

Katshot
01-20-08, 05:07 PM
Yeah but you'll also have to remember that spinning out a 4200lb. car takes a little more finesse than a light sports car. Whenever I do it with my FTS, it's a bit of a hand-full. You should have seen me do it with a stretch-limo years ago, but that's another story altogether.:shhh:
Well, at least the cop that watched me do it liked it enough that he didn't give me a ticket.

thebigjimsho
01-20-08, 05:45 PM
Yeah but you'll also have to remember that spinning out a 4200lb. car takes a little more finesse than a light sports car. Whenever I do it with my FTS, it's a bit of a hand-full. You should have seen me do it with a stretch-limo years ago, but that's another story altogether.:shhh:
Well, at least the cop that watched me do it liked it enough that he didn't give me a ticket.I used to take our 6 passenger stretches out in the snow and get some wild donuts going. There is some serious momentum there...

BowenCT
01-20-08, 06:12 PM
Too funny! A little dream of mine is (if) whenever I get married, at the end of the ceremony when the bride and I leave the church and everyone watches the limos pull out to go to the reception, hop into the driver's seat (with permission of the driver, of course) and blow big smoky donuts in the parking lot. Don't think anyone would be expecting that.

Blackout
01-20-08, 06:39 PM
Believe me, I wish I could do nasty burnouts with my V. But I value my diff.Well weren't you just saying to me in another thread that "How hard could it be to replace the pistons" and you seemed a-ok with Cadillac leaving it as is but yet you drive a V now that has a issue and Cadillac won't address it so how hard could it be to replace it with something better? :bigroll:

thebigjimsho
01-20-08, 08:08 PM
Well weren't you just saying to me in another thread that "How hard could it be to replace the pistons" and you seemed a-ok with Cadillac leaving it as is but yet you drive a V now that has a issue and Cadillac won't address it so how hard could it be to replace it with something better? :bigroll:
Hey, for the diff, there is no modifying. Care to guess how many vendors have forged pistons for whatever LS engine you desire? Give it up already...

Blackout
01-20-08, 08:18 PM
Hey, for the diff, there is no modifying. Care to guess how many vendors have forged pistons for whatever LS engine you desire? Give it up already...

I WILL NEVER!!!! lol

Katshot
01-21-08, 09:04 PM
I used to take our 6 passenger stretches out in the snow and get some wild donuts going. There is some serious momentum there...

Hell yeah there is! :bouncy: