: Catera Questions

sulup
01-15-08, 12:11 AM
Hi all you lucky people with cateras,I`m new here and wanting to join the fun with my catera.I have a 97 with 83k and my 1st question is How to remove the shifter knob to replace the leather boot? 2nd question is where is the purge selinoid located? Is it easy to get to or do I need to rob a bank to find out from the dealer? 3rd question is when I shut the ignition off the key does not turn all the way so I can remove it. Any help would be a godsent. Thanks guys. Lou

todd2fst4u
01-15-08, 12:27 AM
the problem with the key not coming out is because of some switch under the boot you are trying to remove if i remember correctly. some one else who has actually experienced this problem should be able to help you. there is definitely a thread on it.

sulup
01-15-08, 07:46 AM
Ok, Thanks for the reply.Hope to see the answer soon.

sccatera97
01-15-08, 05:56 PM
I have tried to remove the shifter knob and it appears it is pressed on. I f you look at the shifter, it is knurrled at the top. I haven't quite figured out how to remove it yet, but I will look further.
The purge valve should be on the firewall on the passenger side close to fender.
The key issue sounds like the ignition cylinder is worn.

sulup
01-15-08, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that info.Hope we find a way to remove the shifter knob. Lou

R-Caddy
01-19-08, 06:41 PM
I have made a new shifter and E-brake boots myself. They were worn and shedding all over the place. I got some black vinyl (my Cat is black on black) from someone I know that makes stuff for boats (advantages of working at a boat store ;) ) Look good. Right where the shifter boot connects to the console you can pull it inward- the plastic will bend slightly- and pull it out. Then you pull the boot up around the shifter and there is a rubber o-ring holding the boot at the knob. Remove that o-ring. Or you can just cut the seam like I did. Actually, you wil need to cut it anyway, if you want to remove it completely. Then put the new one on almost sewn and finished the job while it was already on there. I had to glue the bottom of the boot to that plastic piece though- that was the hardest part. Next I'm working on the armrest. It had come off, so I will use the same vinyl to match the boots and put some foam under it to make it look smooth and be soft to touch. Shoot me a message if any help needed.
Good luck ;)