: How do you disable the traction control perm without having to press the button in...

RENO99DEVILLE
01-14-08, 11:22 PM
How do you disable the traction control perm without having to press the button in the glovebox everytime you start the vehicle in a 99 Deville??

Highline Cady
01-15-08, 01:35 AM
Doesn't your car start off in 2nd when the traction control is shut off? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong years.

RENO99DEVILLE
01-15-08, 02:23 AM
WOW REALLY???? It starts in second when traction control is disabled???

I wish someone who knows forsure could let me know if that's true..

99 Deville:eek:

Highline Cady
01-15-08, 10:14 AM
Somebody will chime in that knows for sure, I'm pretty sure that that is how it works on your 99. You can find out yourself on your lunch hour, good luck.

I'm not exactly positive, on your year, but would not be surprised if the PCM, ramps down the timing when the traction control is disengaged also, that's how newer models work, costing precious HP and TQ with GM's intent being to keep something from breaking, they truly do take some fun out of the car to prolong reliability.

Frost
01-15-08, 11:00 AM
That's not the only bug-a-bear with these models (97-99 devilles). In addition to the traction control crapola (yes, you DO shift down into 2nd gear if you choose to hit the "traction off" button in the glove box), are all the other situations that entail havng the car "chime" in to tell you when you are performing such tricky maneuvers as, putting the damn key in the ignition, chiming to let you know when fuel level is low (gee, THANKS GM! I never would have noticed otherwise!), "ice possible" (NO KIDDING! Why in Hell is this even offered in cars destined for northern states and Canada?!?!?!?), chiming when the door is ajar, chiming when the car is turned off and the key is left in the ignition (maybe for a damn good reason, btw), etc., etc., etc.

if there is any more annoying feature than the G.D. chiming in these cars, I don't know about it!!!

Ranger
01-15-08, 11:26 AM
I am pretty sure that T/C will disable 1st gear. The reason is so if you get stuck in deep snow, you can reduce the torques to the drive wheels and have a better chance of extracting yourself rather than just spinning the wheels and digging yourself in deeper.

Frost,
You have to remember that cars are built for the lowest common denominator in the general public, most of which are lucky they know how to read a fuel gauge (even that is sometimes questionable).

MM STS
01-15-08, 11:48 AM
Frost,
You have to remember that cars are built for the lowest common denominator in the general public, most of which are lucky they know how to read a fuel gauge (even that is sometimes questionable).

Most annoying to those of us who know how to drive.

acklac7
01-16-08, 05:39 AM
My '95 only chimes when there is a problem that requires immediate attention (for the most part). I've actually grown rather weary (and thankfull) of the ominous "tone of impending disaster"; whenever I hear it my heart just about drops.

In 8 years of ownership there are only 5 things that my Eldo has "chimed" for: "Engine Hot" "Engine Overheated" "TURN OFF ENGINE" "Trans. Overheated" and "Turn Signal On". About once every year I will forget to turn my blinker off and the "turn signal on" alert will pop/chime-on. It typically scares me half to death as I automatically think some powertrain component has failed and requires immediate attention (I.E. STOP THE CAR WITHIN SECONDS!)

I should add that I don't get a "chime" for any of the following DIC messages: "check oil level" "check coolant level" "Fuel level low" "Check brake fluid" (level?) "Service ride control" or basically any other alert you can think of. Reflecting back I believe it came on once for "Engine hot, disengaging AC compressor", that message absolutely floored my Dad (who was driving at the time) "your car had the presence of mind to A. turn off the AC compressor and B. Tell/alert you it was doing so....Wow, thats a Cadillac for you"

Looks like GM maybe went a little to far with the chimes?

Cadillacboy
01-18-08, 07:22 PM
Well, wouldn't it be cool if your car told you "Check Brake Fluid" kindly lol