: Intake/Fuel Problem?

fast32vsts
05-11-04, 10:31 PM
I own a 93 STS Northstar and when I opend the T-body to clean it I noticed allot of gas. The inside of the intake plenum should be dry, right? Its at the dealer right now and they cant figure it out. They say it seems as if it fine.???? If you take look in the bottom at the runners it looks like gas is pooling up.:hmm:

32V_DOHC
05-12-04, 08:23 AM
Fuel pressure regulator or a leaky fuel rail. Pull the top cover off of the manifold and turn the key to on (don't start.) A bad regulator will have fuel coming out of the nipple. Leaky rails will also be apparent.

HTH

John

BeelzeBob
05-13-04, 02:46 PM
I own a 93 STS Northstar and when I opend the T-body to clean it I noticed allot of gas. The inside of the intake plenum should be dry, right? Its at the dealer right now and they cant figure it out. They say it seems as if it fine.???? If you take look in the bottom at the runners it looks like gas is pooling up.:hmm:

Is the engine running fine...????

If you are experiencing hard starts or hard hot starts or stalling or such it could be the FPR .....

What is in the manifold? Just a small amount of gasoline smelling liquid and the engine runs fine otherwise?? If so , then that is perfectly normal. ALL the 93/94 intake manifolds on Northstars will accumulate 5 or 6 ounces or more of "gasoline" in the very bottom of the plenum. It is just the heavy ends of the fuel that doesn't evaporate and some light ends of the oil that is pulled over in the PCV system. It lays there becuase the tuned intake caused it to have to "run uphill" to escape...so it lays in the plenum. Perfectly normal.

It is very easy to check for a leak or anything wrong. With the silver top cover off the manifold turn the key to "on" (do NOT crank or start the engine) to prime the fuel pump and pressurize the sytem and look for fuel squirting out from the FPR or an injector...if not, then don't worry. If the engine was running OK and the "gasoline" accumulation was just an observation then forget about it ...normal.

fast32vsts
05-13-04, 11:37 PM
Thank you for the help, I found a few ansewrs I was looking for. The dealer had the car 2 days and could not find a leak. The car sometimes surges at speeds 30-45 while holding steady throtle. Also seems a little jumpy off the line when trying to take off smooth. Any thing else I should check? I think this is something I will have to just live with. Oh the tune up is about 6 months old and the engine does not seem to miss. Thanks again.