: Shifting...

lordlang
01-13-08, 09:12 PM
I just bought a V new years eve. I think it's going to take some getting used to shifting, I'm really jerkey with it. The previous car I drove was my wifes Jetta 1.8T.

At what speed or RPM do you usually shift normally? And what speed would you shift when you're doing a 0-60 type launch?

crankedupforit
01-13-08, 10:08 PM
The jerky feel comes from driving a car with a boat load of torque. I had the same problem coming from a little A4. Your V will probably pull away smoothly in 4th gear without a lurch because of the torque. Just shift it quicker (sooner) when cruising, there is no need to run it up past 2500rpm in between shifts if your not getting on it. No need to speed shift it either when cruising. Just let the engine do the pulling and don't worry about lugging it.

MauiV
01-13-08, 10:18 PM
Am I the only person that doesnt use 5th? I go from 4th to 6th every time.

I think the only time its been in 5th with me driving was the 1 time I wound it out towards the 150 mark.

Twitch
01-13-08, 10:19 PM
If your having a hard time getting used to the car, you dont need to worry about 0-60.
Baby steps, it'll come to you.
PS do NOT dump the clutch between shifts. It wont help you go faster,,,unless your on your way to the service department.
Good luck.

CTS-V-08
01-13-08, 11:50 PM
I Just sold my mustang & bought a 06 cts-v and im having the same driver problem.

Brian.

theloanman219
01-14-08, 12:17 AM
I shift up. I depends. I for a long time didn't use 6th. Now that im trying to save some money on gas.....Well 6th is my friend. I shift 1800-2000 out of first and pretty much the same for all other gears. My goal is to keep the RPM's under 2k. Unless I want to drive ;) (like the cl 500 that watched my tail lights today!)

Gene

mooreman6
01-14-08, 10:14 AM
These cars have so much torque, that most times, I take off in 2nd gear. It's very smooth, and reduces the amount of shifting in traffic. You can skip shifts as one of the other responses said, 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 4th, etc.

Flyboy
01-14-08, 10:34 AM
This is an interesting thread.....I think we all have different thoughts on shifting. I'm old (60ish), so grew up learning to drive with a manual. (3 speed on the column).

I HATE the "thought" of lugging an engine (even though I guess the computer will back off the timing when it thinks it needs to). I "might" go from 3rd to 5th when just cruising. I glance at the tach often and my technique is to not let the RPM's get below 2000, even when on the freeway. I'll slip it into 5th until I can get it above 60 MPH and then back into 6th.

As to smooth shifting or clutch engagement......if you can "visualize" matching the engine RPM (using the throttle) to the clutch plate while making "granny" shifts, it will become VERY SMOOTH as you gain experience. Just my $0.02 worth of info.....

MauiV
01-14-08, 10:51 AM
I find that when pulling on to the interstate I use 4th to merge into traffic and then shift right to 6th to keep the RPMs in the 2100-2200ish range at 75-80 mph. If I need to downshift for a pass its back to 4th or maybe even 3rd depending how long I had to coast behind the tool doing 50 in MY lane (thats the left one in case anyone was wondering).

I was thinking on my drive in this morning that since I keep my seat fairly far back that 5th is also a PITA to get to because of the long throw (dont have my short throw installed yet) and is probably another reason my tranny never sees it. Throw in the fact that my radar detector plug sticks out about 2 1/2 inches and it just isnt worth dealing with jamming my fingerrtips into the most poorly designed outlet in any car I have ever been in.

kgoch
01-14-08, 10:52 AM
I found shifting about 3500 and not backing off of the throttle completely is the smoothest. I also do not let the engine go much under 2000 RPM's. Using Royal Purple in the trans seems to help make the shift easier and smoother.

Flyboy
01-14-08, 11:47 AM
I found shifting about 3500 and not backing off of the throttle completely is the smoothest. I also do not let the engine go much under 2000 RPM's. Using Royal Purple in the trans seems to help make the shift easier and smoother.

Yes and Yes..on both of those comments.

trukk
01-14-08, 12:20 PM
Am I the only person that doesnt use 5th? I go from 4th to 6th every time.

I think the only time its been in 5th with me driving was the 1 time I wound it out towards the 150 mark.

LOL, I never use 6th. Guess that's why I sepnt close to 5k in gas last year :banghead:

I usually shift at around 3k rpms, and rarely let it go below 2k.

-Chris

50 4Ever
01-14-08, 05:04 PM
To smooth your shifts you need to match wheel speed with engine speed. This is not as easy as it sounds. It is easier with an aftermarket exhaust you can actually hear. What I do when I get a new car with a manual transmission I find some lonely stretch of road and write down MPH and RPM's. I pick a speed, say 20MPH and record what RPM's it takes to make that speeds in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Then do the same at a higher speed for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. This gives you an idea what the RPM difference is between the gears. Say the difference between 2nd and 3rd is -500 RPM, no matter what RPM you shift at the engine speed must be reduced by 500 RPM when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Visa-versa you must increase engine speed by 500 RPM when shifting from 3rdto 2nd.

After a while you don't even have to think about it, this comes in very handy on the racetrack.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/lscorkscrewsig.jpg

Here's to smoothness :cheers:

Rey
01-14-08, 05:09 PM
The CTS-V has a huge flywheel mass with its dual-mass flywheel. The assmebly weighs about 88 lb. What this means for shifting is that the revs do not drop so rapidly when lifting the gas pedal causing some jerky shifting until the driver learns to compenstate.
That said, I changed out to a stock OEM Z06 clutch flywheel assembly weighing 30 lb or so less, and found the car much easier to shift.