: newbie building a custom N* powered Mclaren

flyinlow
01-13-08, 05:37 PM
Hi I am new to this forum.
I am building a mid engine McLaren using a twin turbo Northstar engine.
I am looking for a top speed of 240 MPH
Here is a pic of the type of car I am building

http://www.mantacars.com/images/be006.jpg
This is not my car but the same model that I am building

Submariner409
01-13-08, 05:58 PM
I wish you the best of luck. Many years ago I drove a McLaren/Elva/Chevy. Highly tricked 327 rear engine RWD in a McLaren aluminum rollerskate. Scary fast. Your other pic of the qc rear looks 44 years familiar !

Destroyer
01-13-08, 07:40 PM

http://www.mantacars.com/images/be006.jpg
This is not my car but the same model that I am building
How far along are you?. Any pics?.

CadillacSTS42005
01-13-08, 09:32 PM
welcome

Destroyer
01-14-08, 12:32 AM

So you are looking for zero to blown head gasket in like 2.2 seconds or what?. Seriously, why twin turbo a N*?. You must be the first to do this. Also, how are you doing it?. Spread the knowledge brother!.

Cadillacboy
01-14-08, 01:31 PM
It looks like a LMP1 car
:highfive:

JTraik
01-14-08, 03:12 PM
Looks cool... but... I am also wondering why the choice of a N*.

EcSTSatic
01-14-08, 04:05 PM
Is this a dream or have you actually started this project? Why not post pics of your project car instead of someone else's? Share your knowledge; Sources for the body, twin turbos etc.

Crown Vic Owner
01-14-08, 04:28 PM
I want to call BS

Rolex
01-14-08, 07:50 PM
I want to call BS

:annoyed:

Submariner409
01-14-08, 08:00 PM
BS ? I hate to tell you, Vic, but if you go online for a few hours you can assemble anything in a kit from a replica Shelby Cobra to a Jim Hall Chapparal to a Corvair-driven VW Beetle.

A tricked out late model N* hooked to a Halibrand QC rear would be ideal for a mid-engine RWD road track screamer.

Go to a prototype sports car race at Daytona. You'll lose your water.

Heck, Year One is custom building late '60s Camaros to order.

Crown Vic Owner
01-14-08, 08:02 PM
Removed due to new rule in place.

Submariner409
01-14-08, 08:08 PM
I'll buy that. A TT N*.....a TT anything is too much for a light FG mid-engine rig. Actually, thinking about it, a well built Chevy smallblock would be stronger and cheaper, FI or Webers.

Crown Vic Owner
01-14-08, 08:23 PM
Heck, i am going to shut up because of the new rule in place, but if i may say this.

There are MANY better options for this project, the northstar is a ausome motor, dont get me wrong, but many of the swaps are done due to the ease of them. Many N*s are swapped into fieros and MR2s becuase they are simple to get in compared to a NON sidewinder motor.

If this is mid engined, you will have a hell of a time fitting a trans to it, not to mention the complexity of getting the thing wired up.

Destroyer
01-14-08, 08:51 PM
Is this a dream or have you actually started this project? Nothing wrong with dreaming I suppose.:yup:

EcSTSatic
01-14-08, 10:14 PM
Nothing wrong with dreaming I suppose.:yup:

Nothing at all. I just couldn't tell where this thread was headed. No questions, no info to share, just a pic of someone's kit and a desire to twin turbo a N*. Has anyone installed a N* in one of these? What frame do they use? These are significant bits of info.

JTraik
01-14-08, 10:56 PM
Chevy smallblock would be stronger and cheaper, FI or Webers.

Exactomundo... if you know what your doing... rather if you have the cash, you can squeeze a 1000hp out of a SBC. Also with SBC's you can build more power and more strength into the block for fractions of other engines, there is just so much great after-market stuff for SBC's, I love 'em!

Submariner409
01-14-08, 11:04 PM
EcSTS.....Quite a few of the kit cars allow you to either use a prefab subframe or stripped OEM frame for just about any drop-on you want, or work out the geometry for your own prefab. This McLaren appears to be a one-off replica, in which case the tubing and layout would be essentially 100% homebrew. The OP had another post somewhere which showed a pic of the rear suspension and qc transaxle in what is apparently something similar, and the work is all one-off.

No matter how you cut it, it's a lot of precise, expensive construction. Been there.

As I said in an earlier post, it would make a real screamer, but as you and Crown Vic question, the problem of adapting a N* to a mid-engine RWD setup would involve some hairy adapter machining as well as a ground-up engine management system which does not presently exist in any form. What the OP wants to do is create one of CHRFAB's sand rails with a FG body.

Spyder
01-15-08, 01:02 AM
What is this new rule that everyone keeps speaking of?!?!?!

Submariner409
01-15-08, 02:56 PM
Spyder, Go down to Site News and read the 10 or so locked posts in the sub-forum.

Flyinlow, I just re-read your opening post. Take it from an old SCCA driver, and maybe C66Racing and a few others will chime in, if you try to take a home built kit car replica and run it up to 240, you'll be dead long before you get there.

If you're going to run this critter in NVORR the organizers will want some pretty stringent construction controls in place in order to get them off the liability hook. Not that it can't be done, and if you are in ORR, you know full well that you have an expensive road ahead before you even turn the key for the first time.

CTSV_Rob
01-15-08, 05:58 PM
I have nothing to add other then I think an LS motor would work better. Parts are cheaper, Aluminum Block,....

The N* is an awesome motor but maybe not the best way to go. If you decide to pursue this project please post pic's as it sounds very cool.

nickc50310
01-15-08, 06:33 PM
I would like to think I have pretty large cajones but even I would NOT try to go that fast in a home built car! :eek:

HEHE! Either way, good luck with this project! Hope it works out and we get to see pics soon!

CTSV_Rob
01-15-08, 07:16 PM
Either cajones or lack of brain cells, either will allow you to go that fast.

Since I have the later, I might just try it :D

CTSV_Rob
01-15-08, 07:17 PM
I wonder if you can get banned for calling yourself names?

I can just see it - "The forum that protects you from yourself"....

urbanski
01-15-08, 07:28 PM
Removed due to new rule in place.

not new, always been a rule, one we all agreed to upon registering, and i quote
"No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument.
Personal attacks or name-calling can get you banned."

its just my job to enforce that.

now, nowhere does it say you cant call BS and debate issues. if the OP's post leaves questions, or you dont agree, go for it. just dont call somebody an *******, for example.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-08, 12:19 AM
Twin turbo northstar engine driving a VW style drive setup isnt as far fetched as one may think ...in fact its very doable ...

for years now northstars have been rideing out back on sand rails in the deserts ....a quick dive into the VW gear box and it can be flipped around and bolted to the northstar useing the sandrail kit ...a few of these northstar buggies are turbocharged ....its been done before ...

and really i dont see any issue useing a tiwn turbo northstar for something like this , first off i imgaine one wouldnt drive something like this every day so ....why worry about headbolts and all when its just a fun car and wont accumulate the miles and such a daily driven northstar would ...he might put 2,000 miles on it a year , itd take years to devlop any issues ....and in fun toy car life thats a very long time , and most likely when it get to the point it blows a bolt hed prolly already either have it on blocks in the back yard , it was sold becuse the wife demnded a new SUV or it would have another engine in there ....

BigJon
01-16-08, 12:23 AM
i cant wait to see if this project is started and have far it has gotten.. good luck to ya bro

EcSTSatic
01-16-08, 10:00 AM
I'm not seeing anything more from the original poster. Where's the dialog? What are you wanting from the forum? :confused:

Silver Dollar
01-17-08, 10:56 AM
If you want a 200+ mph kit car, I'd suggest this............

http://erareplicas.com/cars/maino/top.jpg

BigJon
01-18-08, 12:52 AM
i wonder what happen to the guy that started this ....thread...

flyinlow
01-21-08, 01:05 AM
Either cajones or lack of brain cells, either will allow you to go that fast.

Since I have the later, I might just try it :D

Lack of brain cells may be the problem :thepan: Another Open Road Racer said we were both insane, but at least we enjoy our insanity.

I am sorry for not replying for so long,but I was in vegas having a good time and buying some parts for the car.
To those that say the LS series or other engine may be a better choice you may be right but I am going with the northstar for a couple reasons, first is I like the engine and its unique styling for a domestic engine and I like the high RPM capabilities if built right.
The car is a Manta mirage based car but I am building all new suspension and rear frame section, since the original suspension left allot to be desired.

I am currently racing a Mazda RX7 with an LT1 out of a 96 corvette and T56 trans with C4 Vette diff. and have been a mechanic since 1979 so I am not new to building and modifying fast cars.

I dont have pics of mine up because it is torn apart and sitting on a frame jig and not much to look at right now, but as visual progress is made I will post pics of it. I expect it to take two years to finnish since I will not cut any corners on it.
I may or may not atain 240 but I do believe I can. I will enter it in GS-6 (172mph max) before entering SS-2 then Unlimited to work up safely and fine tune the aerodynamics. Adrenaline is nice but safety is a must

I wont be running it VW style I will be running mid engine and the porsche 930 transaxle has already been converted

Kevin Nelson, Owner
Adrenaline Junky Motorsports.

flyinlow
01-21-08, 01:27 AM
Heck, i am going to shut up because of the new rule in place, but if i may say this.

There are MANY better options for this project, the northstar is a ausome motor, dont get me wrong, but many of the swaps are done due to the ease of them. Many N*s are swapped into fieros and MR2s becuase they are simple to get in compared to a NON sidewinder motor.

If this is mid engined, you will have a hell of a time fitting a trans to it, not to mention the complexity of getting the thing wired up.

Actually Kenedy ( KEP) makes and I already have the adapter to bolt right up to the porsche trans and has a custom flywheel that uses the porsche starter on the trans instead of the northstar in the V.
If built right I believe the Northstar to be more than capable, I intend to use one of AJ's retuned LS1 computers and the wiring isnt really any tougher than any other efi engine. plus I just bought two Aurora shelby series 1 engines and one was complete with the harness.
that was one of the things I was doing in Vegas
I also have a 96 4.6 northstar with 6 miles on it.

You are definately entitled to your opinion and I dont take offense. the proof will be in the car when it is finished
I am not just dreaming I have the car and entire powertrain but there is an incredible amount of work to do.

flyinlow
01-21-08, 01:53 AM
Nothing at all. I just couldn't tell where this thread was headed. No questions, no info to share, just a pic of someone's kit and a desire to twin turbo a N*. Has anyone installed a N* in one of these? What frame do they use? These are significant bits of info.

it uses a tubular deep ladder constructed frame I will be building suspension paterned after another Mirage that has proven quite effective and adjustable
http://www.mantacars.com/images/kw7.jpg
using C4 corvette hubs and spindles.

Of course I am building a full roll cagee into it.
with the addition of the cage I would like to keep it under 2,000lbs but will likely come in between 2,000 and 2,150lbs
No as far as I know there has never been a northstar mounted in one, they were desiegned for a small block chevy but since I am building the new rear frame section anyway it wont be any more difficult to install the northstar .
The entire rear body section tilts and is easilly removable so it it is easy to work on and has plenty of room.

Kevin Nelson, Owner
Adrenaline Junky Motorsports

CTSV_Rob
01-21-08, 02:07 AM
Quite cool low, can't wait to see how this comes together. Always like to see things like this and the N* is an awesome engine.

The ONLY reason I suggested the LS motor was because of the availability of parts and ability to make power. I am kind of a cheap bastard and with the availability of the parts for the LS it is a neat motor to play with.

I wouldn't care if you were putting a Ford motor into it I just love to see custom platforms like this.

flyinlow
01-21-08, 02:18 AM
If you're going to run this critter in NVORR the organizers will want some pretty stringent construction controls in place in order to get them off the liability hook. Not that it can't be done, and if you are in ORR, you know full well that you have an expensive road ahead before you even turn the key for the first time.

I do race ORR right now and am aware of the regs. there are a very specific set of rules ,specially where roll cages are concerned and I am building it in excess of the minimum standards.
The car will have to prove itself in GS6 and SS1&2 before going to unlimited but that only makes sense.

JTraik
01-21-08, 11:20 AM
Did you ever consider a 472/500 setup?

flyinlow
01-21-08, 01:59 PM
Did you ever consider a 472/500 setup?

I considered allot of engines including the 500 but decided on the northstar because of the light weight and advanced design that handles high rpm(over 7,000rpm) better for extended times.
plus I prefer port fuel injection with turbos

RunningOnEMT
01-21-08, 02:09 PM
If you want a 200+ mph kit car, I'd suggest this............

http://erareplicas.com/cars/maino/top.jpg

nah... they like to get front end lift going on somewhere around 120 ... they turn into giant Kites

Destroyer
01-21-08, 02:10 PM
Have you considered a Ford 4.6 or 5.4 DOHC?. At least as powerful as a N* and a whole lot more reliable and modifiable.

flyinlow
01-21-08, 03:31 PM
Have you considered a Ford 4.6 or 5.4 DOHC?. At least as powerful as a N* and a whole lot more reliable and modifiable.
I worked for ford when the modular motor came out and worked on them for years. I dont have too much good to say about them but to each their own.

Destroyer
01-21-08, 06:09 PM
I worked for ford when the modular motor came out and worked on them for years. I dont have too much good to say about them but to each their own.You are the professional and you will be using a N* instead. To each their own indeed.