: Supercharger options

Wads56
01-12-08, 10:34 AM
Anyone have one of these? http://www.magnusonproducts.com/pr02.htm Will this kit still fit under the hood? Would it be worth it to go with the mp122 over the mp112?

Any one try this one on the V? http://starrperformance.com.au/Text/1120005111062-4175/pC/1119935321390-1333/

I'm just looking at some other options that will support future upgrades.

2004ctsv
01-12-08, 11:54 AM
The maggie, based on the Eaton blower, is well proven and works very well.
People have exceeded 6 lbs of boost but are pushing the mechanical limits of the engine and drive train of the older V's with LS6 engines.

Screws have distinct advantages over roots but robustness may not be one of them.

If given the option again, I would put a twin screw on instead of lobed roots-type. But no complaints with the Magnusson unit so far.

CTSV_Rob
01-12-08, 03:51 PM
Still holding out for the TVS design. I wonder if this will be the unit on the 09V?

thebigjimsho
01-12-08, 04:56 PM
What is a Magnacharger? Is it similar to a turbo?

type911
01-12-08, 05:20 PM
^I hope your kidding.

urbanski
01-12-08, 05:34 PM

i have 3 of each on mine, and a turbonator tornado

rand49er
01-12-08, 06:34 PM

i have 3 of each on mine, and a turbonator tornado:histeric: You guys are bad.

onebadcad
01-12-08, 07:04 PM
Maggie, as stated, works fine. Can get 6-7psi on 2.8" pulley, can get 1-2 more with 2.6" pulley. Expect 450+RHWP with good tune, maybe another 25RWHP with cam. Fits perfect under hood. Not sure about MP122, as may not work with LS6, only seen them in C6s with LS2s. Not sure what a TVS is, or boost delivery on such, but on stock motor 8psi is enough, so more boost may put youi in market for new motor. If you are thinking stroker motor, Maggie is not for you, go ProCharger and run 16+psi. Regarding twin screw, no V has done it, some C5s have such, so should work with 04-05 V, but be prepared for hood clearance issues.

onebadcad
01-12-08, 07:07 PM
A few Maggie pics:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/onebadcad/Darrens2cars009.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/onebadcad/Darrens2cars008.jpg

CTSV_Rob
01-12-08, 07:28 PM
...Not sure what a TVS is, or boost delivery on such, ...
The TVS is the latest design from Eaton and has already shown promise on some truck motors. This SuperCharger has been around for a little while but it has not been flipped around like the 112 and the 122. I'm guessing this is what GM is using on the 09 model years but not sure.

More thermally efficent and may be too much for a stock motor but it will grow with your mods if your going that way.

Being as yours just didn't have enough to get the numbers you were looking for I am a little surprized you haven't heard of this on yet (onebadcad). I'm sure you could get some serious power out of your V with one of these and I'm hoping it will bolt up were the 112 went.

If you want the details on the TVS design then click on the link below for the details.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Superchargers/TVS/index.htm

Wads56
01-12-08, 10:10 PM
Check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGveOp7aC1Q It's on a gto (looks like the ls1 not ls2) and it fits under the hood. The gto and cts-v engine bay are close to the same according to EPP. They modify a procharger kit for the gto and sell them for the V's so I'm thinking I could do the same with this kit.
I emailed Star performance and asked about installing on a ls6 because of the higher compression ratio. If they get back to me with positive feedback I think I am going to give it a try unless it is priced to high.

heavymetals
01-12-08, 11:55 PM
Get a procharger or twin turbos and come back in six to eight months when you have it done.

Want cheap thrills? go nitros.

Want a SC that "bolts on"? go maggie.

rand49er
01-13-08, 07:46 AM
Get all three ... sc, tt, & NOS!

trukk
01-14-08, 11:38 AM
Kenne Bell anyone?

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/gm/Corvette/gmCorvette.htm

-Chris

NormV
01-14-08, 12:20 PM
KB has the best of both worlds. Torque down and efficiency at higher rpms. The screws compress air between themselves rathe than a Maggie which compresses it in the manifold. As the Maggie lobe passes compression air follows and decompresses. This oscillating creates heat that is why maggie is the most inefficient of the compressors.

Norm

csp3000
01-14-08, 08:36 PM
Kenne Bell anyone?

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/gm/Corvette/gmCorvette.htm

-Chris

Man I am calling kenne bell tomorrow to see if the 2.8 could fit in the V with no clearence problems with the hood. if so that just might be in the V by Feb:D

Wads56
01-14-08, 09:50 PM
Man I am calling kenne bell tomorrow to see if the 2.8 could fit in the V with no clearence problems with the hood. if so that just might be in the V by Feb:D

Please get back to us on this. I didn't see a price on the kit?

heavymetals
01-14-08, 10:25 PM
People have been pumping and spouting a KB since the maggie came out.

I have yet to see anyone install one in a V and post results in this forum.

If you want more boost then a 112 maggie get a 122.

rand49er
01-14-08, 10:35 PM

If you want more boost then a 112 maggie get a 122.:yeah:

Heavy's correct (as usual). Just be sure to beef up the bottom end of your motor before you bolt that 122 on top.

csp3000
01-14-08, 11:27 PM

If you want more boost then a 112 maggie get a 122.

Hey Heavy, i was already thinking about the 122 for the V but I would love to see if the KB could be an option. Twin screw SC could be very nice.

heavymetals
01-15-08, 12:12 AM
There are a lot of options, but some people just want to be different and that is a good thing.

If you don't want to go with what has been done (a lot of different things!), then your in the "science project" camp.

Good luck with fabrication, troubleshooting/solving and tuning.

Post pics and stories when your done.....

trukk
01-15-08, 12:18 PM
There are a lot of options, but some people just want to be different and that is a good thing.

If you don't want to go with what has been done (a lot of different things!), then your in the "science project" camp.

Good luck with fabrication, troubleshooting/solving and tuning.

Post pics and stories when your done.....

It's all varying degrees of mod hell :D

I keep bringing up the Kenne Bell compressor, because I think it would be cool to see one on a V. I'd be willing to bet that it will fit with no hood change, but if necessary, an extreme composites hood, or the Sprectre Werks Power Dome should fit the bill.

The main issue with the Kenne Bell is going to be fighting the urge to up the boost, since it doesn't fall off like the Maggie. It's like having a hybrid procharger/maggie, tons of TQ down low, tons of power up high.

To really 'do it right', someone is going to need to do a complete fuel system upgrade (injectors/fuel pump, etc.) an not just a magnavolt or boost-a-pump. Also they should really do forged pistons, upgraded rods/bolts.

Then of course they will be devastating the rest of their drivetrain, LOL.

Mod hell :D.

-Chris

onebadcad
01-15-08, 03:07 PM
I have the motor and hood for a KB, but I don't think the drivetrain would make it home on the day I pick it up from my tech. I have sent KB numerous e-mails, but have never received a reply. They still do not have a kit for the C6, which has big potential compared to the V.
CSP3000, go for it, you only live once!!!

csp3000
01-15-08, 03:58 PM
CSP3000, go for it, you only live once!!!

Thanks Darren I think I just might....:highfive: I mean shit I am already so deep in the V why the hell not:bouncy:

Wads56
01-15-08, 09:51 PM
Couldn't you run the mp122 on a stock motor with a Conservative tune? Then later when heads and a cam come in the picture you still have a blower that can move enough air.

CTSV_Rob
01-15-08, 09:59 PM
You would need to worry a little more about the bottom end. If you don't go forged internals with the extra boost your LS will go boom.