: Looking for '98 ETC mods

racecardude310
01-12-08, 08:41 AM
I recently purchased a 1998 ETC. I am a "spirited" driver, my last car was a 2000 Camaro, and I imagine my ETC would kill it. However I am a young so naturally 300hp is not enough for me.

I bought my car through a POA because I am overseas in Korea right now (one year tour in the army). I did a lot of research before I bought it, however I overlooked ONE thing when I was researching... AFTERMARKET!!! I come home in seven days.

For the life of me I cant find any mods for the ETC, I am looking for a s/c, or tune, also a programmer (I believe the speed is governed at 112 right? or is that only the ESC, again I missed that on my research). Everything I find as far as aftermarket is for the STS. Really I am only looking for minor upgrades right now, get maybe 30hp or so, but I would like a s/c in the future. I am mainly looking for a programmer.

Help please?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 12:24 PM
You're gonna wanna talk to Jason on this...he's the guru for performance modifications for the Northstar. His S/N is CadillacSTS2003. As far as the supercharger goes, it's never been done for the Northstar...actually, as far as I know, there has only been one forced induction Northstar car ever...a '99 STS that a member spent over $10,000, getting the turbocharger to work with it.

Tough stuff, modifying a Northstar.

Submariner409
01-12-08, 02:22 PM
I hate to say it, but you're outta luck. If you snoop around these Performance and Seville/Eldorado threads for the last 3 years you'll find that, to quote myself, "there is precious little you can do to a N* in the way of meaningful mods." Read the threads before you spend money on CAI's, MAF's, TB's, Tornadoes, Slick 50, and much other snake oil. Read AJ's work on PCM tuning for your year. There ain't much. A custom (only way) s/c setup will cost you some front end body work and around 12 grand and, in an otherwise stock '98, will probably destroy the head gaskets.

Keep it clean, tuned up, and drive it well, but don't be afraid to let it all hang out once in a while.

Without some pretty sophisticated expert work, 30 hp is hard to come by. GM already did it all for you.

Submariner409
01-12-08, 05:52 PM
racecardude, For your reference, go back to the first page in this Northstar Performance forum (197 ?) and start surfing thread titles of interest. You'll find that every question you may ask will be answered in the first few pages of your search.

We sometimes lose sight of the immense wealth of information that is buried in old forum pages.

racecardude310
01-13-08, 06:21 AM
yeah i searched the first few pages and did a couple year and model searches and didnt come up with much... looks like there isnt much i can do. in that case when i get home and actually get an up close look at my car i'll see if i can come up with some ram air setup to give me some more highway power. replace the stock exhaust... i hear that the inlet to the stock muffler is 1.5 inch??? IS THAT TRUE??? anyway i appreciate the advice i'll rummage through. we will see if i can do anything meaningful when i get back without destroying my car

Submariner409
01-13-08, 10:57 AM
No, the 1.5" is not true. It's actually about 2 3/4" OD. Consider a s/s cat-back setup, keeping the stock cat (which is a honeycomb high flow unit anyway) and going to 2 1/2 - 2 3/4" from the cat, through a larger pipe resonator, on back to a 2 1/2" Y and good mufflers. You'll have to do an extensive muffler search in here because some brands/styles tend to drone at highway cruise and will drive you out of the car.

Forget the ram air for "power". The stock system already flows more air than the engine needs at redline. Work up a new inlet pipe from just behind the lower grille to the existing airbox. It won't give you any more power, but it increases engine intake noise and might impress a ricer.

STS2003 is an exhaust tech and can give you some good ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Depending on mileage, your new ride may need plugs and wires. Use ACDelco parts and don't try to get creative: threads have quite a bit of info on what happens with other aftermarket units.

Spend a lot of time researching the Seville/Eldorado and N* Performance threads. There are a thousand clever detail and maintenance tricks buried in there.

CadillacSTS42005
01-13-08, 01:08 PM
Hey
If youve searched for Eldos then youll hear of a name CadillacETC1997
long story short thats me and thats one of my cars i also have a 2003 STS hence the new name

sub pretty much hit it dead on, your SOL when it comes to mod, stock for stock an ETC will blow the doors off a V6 Camaro, and give a Z/28 a good run for its money
a bored tb and spacer (will have to be custom made), and a cat back exhaust are best bang for buck mods.
nitrous is an option but i hate it and wont touch it but a member did NOS a 02 ESC and runs 13.9 1/4s
other mods are an AJ tune (join up and be a supporting member for help with that as he is more prone to help members), the prototype (aka only one built only one in existence so please dont ask where you can get one) JET performance chip which is in my position, or turbo charge which will cost you roughly 12k in custom work and running a obd-1 N* pcm piggyback spidered into the factory wiring
heres a link to my car domain it should start to give you some ideas
http://www.cardomain.com/id/cadillacetc

racecardude310
01-15-08, 12:20 AM
I've actually run into you before on youtube. you have one sweet caddy. I WAS looking at a custom 80mm TB on the N* thats 5mm over stock from what I understand, I would also sand out the mounting bracket to match it of course. I understand the intake how to make it sound beefy but I did it with my 5.7L silverado and it just sounded stupid. The only time you got noise was under acceleration, I dont like that. If I accelerate fast, then by god my de-acceleration better be just as loud. On my camaro my cat literally fell apart, and my muffler was old haha, so I had a nice sound going on that I liked and others found impressive (though didnt do anything performance wise) HEY I was broke back then!!!

thanks for the advice

Submariner409
01-15-08, 10:05 AM
For God's sake, don't sand anything in the intake system, particularly anything in the TB or adapter or whatever. A couple of grains of carbide or aluminum oxide grit and it's cylinder gonzo. If you're bound and determined to screw up your throttle response, have a machine shop do it.

This is a personal observation, based on 55 years of car and engine driving, modifying, and building, plus 16 or so years of various Cadillac ownership: From your few posts it looks as if you're going to try and modify this '98 N* come hell or high water. Before you turn it into a "beside the garage" junk heap, please take the time to go back to Day 1 in the Seville/Eldorado and Performance threads to learn what you can and can't do. The machine you have bears NO resemblance to any Camaro, Mustang, or GrandAm, and unfortunately there are many, many modifications for other engine/transmission packages that do not apply to the package you now have. Measure twice, cut once.