: Chrysler-Haters step aside, the new Ram officially announced

AMGoff
01-12-08, 03:24 AM
Despite having a few leaks slip through their fingers, Dodge has officially announced their new Ram for '09... and I really like what they've done with it. Regardless of what some Chrysler naysayers have come out with, the company is definitely doing some good things and the new Ram is a good example... I think it's a marked improvement over the current Ram... more subdued and understated, more refined, and with more genuinely thoughtful, useful features. Best of all, Chrysler finally designed a nice interior for one of their vehicles... I honestly think that's one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen on a truck. All in all, as far as I'm concerned they've taken are really big step in the right direction. I can't imagine they're going to have any trouble selling these.

Here's the official list of bullet-points from Dodge:

All-new 2009 Dodge Ram Breaks From the Herd

- All-new, bold, powerful, "get-out-of-the-way" Dodge Ram design.
- New, aggressive "grille-forward" design.
- First-in-segment chrome-tipped dual exhaust styled dramatically into the rear bumper.
- Best-in-class aerodynamics – an estimated .422 Cd.
- Dodge Ram's first-ever crew cab, giving Dodge an entry into the largest and fastest-growing part of the market. Crew cab accounts for nearly 50 percent of market.
- New 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 provides more horsepower (380 hp) and torque (404 lb.-ft.), with increased fuel economy (an estimated 4 percent).
- Best-in-class performance: 0-60 mph in under 7 seconds.
- New interiors with premium seating, soft-touch materials, redesigned controls, floor console with shifter, and even more storage options.
- More than 35 new or improved features.
- Industry-first RamBox cargo management system (crew cab) includes versatile, weatherproof, lockable, illuminated and drainable storage bins built into bed rails (a total of 8.6 cubic feet of space); pickup bed divider/2-foot bed extender; and cargo rail system with four sliding, adjustable cleats.
RamBox bins hold up to 10 cases of 12-ounce beverages, or other gear for work or leisure.
- First-in-segment "store in the floor" storage bins with removable liners, big enough for ten 12-ounce beverages and ice.
- First-in-segment heated and ventilated front seats.
- Heated rear seats also available.
- Heated steering wheel a first for any Dodge vehicle.
- First-in-segment coil-spring, multilink rear suspension fitted to a solid rear axle provides ride and handling capabilities unexpected in a pickup truck.
- First-in-segment live SIRIUS Backseat TV™.
- First-in-segment surround-sound audio system.
- More than 30 safety features, including standard four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System and Electronic Stability Program with Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control.
- All-new 2009 Dodge Ram to arrive this fall.
- Light-duty diesel to arrive after 2009; two-mode hybrid powertrain to be offered in 2010 model year.

For the Autoblog picture gallery of the 2009 Dodge Ram, click here. (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-dodge-ram-1/)

For the full article, click here. (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/12/detroit-2008-2009-dodge-ram-breaks-through-the-gate/)

So go ahead Chrysler-haters... let the bashing commence!

Jesda
01-12-08, 03:40 AM
NICE TRUCK!

The rest of Chrysler still sucks.

Spyder
01-12-08, 04:31 AM
Love the looks. Too tired to read anything more though...will look into it manana.

urbanski
01-12-08, 07:04 AM
doesnt do it for me

LS1Mike
01-12-08, 07:10 AM
Lots of nice options and features.
The only thing I don't like is the grill and the guages looks sorta funnky to me the rest is very nice.

Rolex
01-12-08, 08:07 AM
:yawn:

- New 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 provides more horsepower (380 hp) and torque (404 lb.-ft.), with increased fuel economy (an estimated 4 percent).
- Best-in-class performance: 0-60 mph in under 7 seconds.

I guess the Toyota Tundra isn't in the same class!?! :hmm:

Tundra = 381 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 401 pound-feet at 3,600 revs.

Tundra = Unleashing this powertrain down the drag strip, we recorded a stunning 0-60-mph time of 6.3 seconds, while the quarter-mile came up in 14.8 seconds at 93.7 mph.

LS1Mike
01-12-08, 09:07 AM

Good Catch, I would also guess the 1/2 ton GMC Denali isn't either.
403 HP and 417 FT/LBS of troque.
Still Dodge has done a good job with this truck.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 09:26 AM
Looks nice, sounds nice, goes nice, IS nice!

Finally, an interior in a Dodge Truck that doesn't suck!

CIWS
01-12-08, 09:32 AM

Na, they're talking American Truck Companies ;)

Great a new Dodge truck for folks to put Flowmasters on and me to outrun :D

It looks like a Dodge truck. We'll see how it's priced and competes in the market.

hueterm
01-12-08, 11:37 AM
HUGE improvement. Like it better than Ford, but still prefer GM.

gary88
01-12-08, 12:00 PM
I really want to like this truck, but can't.

AMGoff
01-12-08, 01:01 PM

Yeah... that might be a bit of a stretch, I would say they're both equally comparable in terms of power. Because really, comparing 380hp/404lbft to 381hp/401lbft.. who's to really say. I know how Dodge probably looked at it "one less on the hp figure but three more on torque... hmm... ours must be more powerful.. in fact, the MOST powerful.. hizzah!"

What's really more amazing to me is that fact they've been able to squeeze that much power out of the 5.7...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 01:16 PM
Adam, is that the same 5.7L Hemi as before, or did they change it at all?

It's interesting to note that both Toyota's 381hp motor and Dodge's 381 hp motor are 5.7 liters. The Toyotas, of course is DOHC, whereas the Hemi is OHV. So it's definitely a feat that Dodoge can pull that much out of that engine.

TexasCadillac
01-12-08, 02:28 PM
New, aggressive "grille-forward" design. how can the Dodge truck grill get any more agressive? It sticks out like a train cow catcher.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-12-08, 02:35 PM

Its a truck for gods sake. Its going to have the crap beat out of it by construction materials. Its going to be driven into the ground by farmers pulling hay and cattle trailers. Its gonna have coffee spilled in it by contractors. Does it really need all this fancy crap?

hueterm
01-12-08, 02:44 PM
No more than does a Lincoln Mark LT, GMC Sierra Denali, or any manner of upscale Ford or GM pickup -- plus high end Titans and Tundras.

The only contractor that's going to buy a truck as described is going to be the owner of the company who doesn't get his dirty.

High end trucks have been quite popular for what -- 10 years or so? It's more likely to have baby seats in the back as it will to have a tool box.

CTSV_Rob
01-12-08, 02:45 PM
Damn, I have 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and very happy with it except the bed is falling apart and the Dash is cracking. Because Dodge will do nothing about it they can kiss my a$$ but that's another story.

The Looks of the Ram looked best in the 04 - 05 and they started a slow decline in 2006 and it looks even worse in 09. I was going to get one but sat in it and it reminded me of a u-haul truck I rented 10 years ago.

The new body style reminds me of a 2001 Dakota, not sure why but it does.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 02:58 PM
Damn, I have 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and very happy with it except the bed is falling apart and the Dash is cracking. Because Dodge will do nothing about it they can kiss my a$$ but that's another story.

How many miles are on it, what specifically is wrong with it and what did you want them to do?

I'm just curious.

RightTurn
01-12-08, 04:12 PM

Its a truck for gods sake. Its going to have the crap beat out of it by construction materials. Its going to be driven into the ground by farmers pulling hay and cattle trailers. Its gonna have coffee spilled in it by contractors. Does it really need all this fancy crap?

Those are likely "options." Besides, farmers need warm seats as much as anyone else. :lol: (Oh, and FYI, a lot of farm equipment such as combines, harvesters, etc. have those options as well and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Farmer's daughter here. :D)

Personally, I think the truck looks GREAT. I'd love to see Chrysler have a winner. :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
01-12-08, 04:16 PM
So Dodge did a teensy bit with the exterior and installed a Ford interior. The big deal is what?

AMGoff
01-12-08, 06:09 PM

Hueterm and RT nailed it. It's not like the whole concept of a "premium" truck is something new... I remember when manufacturers first started having optional leather interiors in pickups - there were tons of people who had the same sentiment as you. However, there are a lot of people who will buy trucks like these with no intention of doing any sort of real "work" with them... some may find that to be a bit silly, but it's no more than the countless droves of people who drive around in SUVs when a regular car/wagon/van would serve just as well. I'd be willing to bet that anyone who buys an optioned-out Laramie model won't be getting in it with muddy boots and won't be loading the bed up with a bunch of equipment/materials... as said, it will be the contractor/owner getting in this truck - not the worker... it will be the suburbanite dad getting in it, or the farmer's wife, etc... luckily they'll be making all sorts of trim levels for all sorts of people.

Those are likely "options." Besides, farmers need warm seats as much as anyone else. :lol: (Oh, and FYI, a lot of farm equipment such as combines, harvesters, etc. have those options as well and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Farmer's daughter here. :D)

Personally, I think the truck looks GREAT. I'd love to see Chrysler have a winner. :thumbsup:

A woman after my own heart! :yup:

I'm really glad Dodge decided to tone things down with this one... this is a great example of "less is more." For a while they were looking a little too "Tonka-ish," like something an 8 year old boy would have drawn/designed.

It's a really big step up from the previous model... I think Chrysler definitely has a winner with this truck. I've never really big that big of a "truck guy," but in a few years I very well may find myself checking out a used, loaded, quad-cab Laramie.

The big deal is what?

Lost on you evidently. :hmm:

Adam, is that the same 5.7L Hemi as before, or did they change it at all?

It's interesting to note that both Toyota's 381hp motor and Dodge's 381 hp motor are 5.7 liters. The Toyotas, of course is DOHC, whereas the Hemi is OHV. So it's definitely a feat that Dodoge can pull that much out of that engine.

Chad, it seems like they've surely put some time into tweaking the hemi... this is according to allpar.com:

Hemi engine updates: 380 hp / 404 lb-ft

40% of Ram buyers opt for the Hemi, which has gas mileage similar to the 4.7 liter V8 but much more power. For 2008, the Hemi was revised to improve engine breathing and gas mileage, with the addition of variable valve timing; a higher compression ratio; higher-flowing heads, intake, and exhaust; and an active intake manifold that switches from long runners (for low-end torque) to short runners (for high-rpm power). In addition, the MDS system has been updated so the engine will spend more time in four-cylinder mode, saving fuel. Numerous other hardware upgrades were implemented to build on the quality, reliability and durability reputation of the HEMI engine, including crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design, and oil pump capacity increase.

The results of all this work are a 10% boost in power to 380 hp (283 kW) and 404 lb-ft of torque (548 Nm), up from 345 hp and 375 lb-ft. At the same time, gas mileage should increase by 4 mpg. The Dodge Ram R/T rear-wheel-drive model, with a short bed, regular cab, and 4.10:1 gears, can reach 60 mph in a mere 7 seconds, making it faster than the PT Cruiser GT or V6 Dodge Charger.

The variable valve timing (VVT) reduces the engine’s pumping work by closing the intake valve later, and increases the expansion process of the combustion event. This allows more work to be transferred to the crankshaft instead of being rejected out of the exhaust port as heat. VVT improves engine breathing, which improves engine efficiency and power.

For an even more in-depth article about the new Ram, Allpar has a great one by clicking here. (http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2009-ram.html)

hueterm
01-12-08, 06:27 PM
They basically took their best grill design (Charger) and mixed it in w/the traditional Ram front end. I think it's the best looking one so far.

CTSV_Rob
01-12-08, 07:26 PM
How many miles are on it, what specifically is wrong with it and what did you want them to do?

I'm just curious.
Over 80K on it now but the truck has had these problems for some time now. A little back ground... The truck had the factory extended warranty which covered neither problem.

Start with the Dash cracking
Not the first one to have this happen and I'm quite sure I won't be the last. A small crack started at about 45K (Truck was about 3.5 years old) and now it goes all the way to the air bag on the passenger side. If it would have happened under 36K I could have had it replaced but since the 36K mile warranty expired I was screwed (Lovely, I hate thinking about this). I called up Dodge and tried to negotiate with HQ and they basically just said it's out of warranty, TFB (added that last part, they were quite polite actually). I asked them to just give me the plastic and I would install it myself but they said no and then proceeded to tell me I could buy one for $1,200 (It was over $1k but I don't remember the exact number). They wouldn't even give me the cover at cost. A bit crappy to me but because of this I bought the V so I guess I should thank them for it. Will take a while before you see me buy another brandy new dodge or chrysler product.

The Truck bed cracked on the end were the tailgate latches
I brought the truck in while it was still under the factory extended warranty and they told me it wasn't covered because I have a shell on it. When I bought the truck new I am quite sure they didn't tell me that if anything happened to the bed it would not be covered because I put a camper shell on. Besides, I'm sure the problem I have is not because of the shell, it was because they did a poor job on the spot welds on the inside of the bed. When they let go then the bed stated to flex and the metal at the bend actually broke.

People complain about GM warranty coverage, those same people should never buy a Chrylser product they are even worse.

(Sorry for the long post).

Rob

CTSV_Rob
01-12-08, 07:28 PM
I think RT might have a story too.

PAULSTSMAN1
01-12-08, 08:22 PM
I had to wonder with the sagging sales of GM pickup trucks, even though the factory is offering big rebates, how strategic is Chrysler's planning on the release of a new truck at this time? Chrysler having just been acquired, and already canceling some products in the line-up, could be perceived as making hasty corrections, before the product shakeout has been completed.

I am viewing this both from an enthusiast standpoint and consumer.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 11:18 PM
CTSV_Rob,

Yeah, from what I've heard, Mopar (and Ford) will NOT warranty anything past 36,000 and they'll make a big stink about it when you try and get it covered under the Chrysler service contract. Luckily for you GM owners (and me when it comes with angry customers....haha) with the service advisor's and managers discretion, GM can goodwill most items up to 50k (for the non Cadillacs, I'm not sure how long Cadillac can extend it to) in the name of customer satisfaction.

LS1Mike
01-12-08, 11:23 PM
How come some are amazed at a 5.7 litre that makes 380 HP? LS6 anybody? 1993 and up C4 ZR1 405 HP.
Way to catch up Toyota and Dodge.
It is head design, intake and tunning. When you look an LS1 VS LS6 the big differnce are the heads and intake, some years have different cams.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 11:30 PM
Yeah...but those were extremely high performance engines only used in Corvettes (along with other hi-po GM's), now they're finally getting used in more mainstream cars.

LS1Mike
01-12-08, 11:42 PM
Actually in 02 there were so many left over LS6 block 25 to 30 percent of the F-bodies produced got them. The only differnce were the heads and exhaust manifolds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-08, 11:47 PM
Wow! Didn't mention that at all in the brochures... Very cool :thumbsup:

LS1Mike
01-12-08, 11:58 PM
It was 01 and 02 and it was about 15 percent of all the cars from those years total. The big difference between the LS1 and LS6 block was cooling and oiling. LS6 cools better, but there has been some debate as to whether or not it makes that block weaker.
My 01 Z28 had an LS6 block. No big deal, the motors make their power difference with heads and cam. GM had the those head castings laying around they used them on the LS2, the valves are just not sodium filled, other than that the first year LS2 had an LS6 cam and heads.
If you put LS6 heads on an 01 or 02 Z28 or TA with an LS6 block you have an LS6 that makes 400 HP. That is why it is really no big deal.
Toyota and Dodge should be making that or more than that. You couldn't have GM put those heads on the F-body from the factory now could you?

AMGoff
01-13-08, 01:44 PM
First off, I know next to nothing about the Toy-engines.. but I can say I'm pleasantly surprised by the new power output of the new Hemi... for a while there it seemed they had hit a wall. I'm curious as to what they have in store for the 6.1.

93DevilleUSMC
01-14-08, 06:36 AM
Will they be offering a Cummins diesel for this one?

P-Funk
01-14-08, 12:42 PM
So Dodge did a teensy bit with the exterior and installed a Ford interior. The big deal is what?

:word:

Must say I'm not impressed. Disappointed actually.

xshrpshtr
01-14-08, 07:14 PM
as an '07 3500 diesel 4x4 owner...I can tell you, I hope they get the smog crap figured out on thier diesels soon. They did a truly idiot job of dealing with the exhaust system. I have no doubt they will be redesigning it or be faced with so many lawsuits they will be forced into it anyway

Jesda
01-15-08, 06:34 AM
Its probably better for Chrysler to offer a new pickup sooner than later. Toyota and GM are eating into the shrinking market pretty aggressively, so the new Ram couldn't come soon enough. Its a profitable large-volume vehicle for Chrysler LLC.

AMGoff
01-15-08, 01:09 PM
Its probably better for Chrysler to offer a new pickup sooner than later. Toyota and GM are eating into the shrinking market pretty aggressively, so the new Ram couldn't come soon enough. Its a profitable large-volume vehicle for Chrysler LLC.

Exactly... sooner or later, that segment of the market will eventually be relegated to something of a niche. It's better to get a bigger slice of the pie now while it's still being made in "American" sized portions.

Rolex
01-15-08, 03:53 PM
I took a longer look at the pics. I'll have to admit it's a good looking truck. I like the storage compartments on the bedsides too. The interior and body lines closely resemble a Ford IMO.

Zorb750
01-21-08, 01:51 PM
This doesn't look nearly bad as I expected from the text description of it.

The current F250 and 350 trucks are by far the ugliest trucks on the road right now.

Playdrv4me
01-22-08, 01:28 AM
I am EXTREMELY impressed with Chrysler on this truck. I only looked at the ONE picture that mattered, and that was the primary interior shot.

So what if it's lifted from Ford? It WORKS, and its 10000 times better than the plasticky Tonka-Truck crap that was in the previous model. The old one always looked beefy and mean from the outside, and then you looked inside and it was a complete disappointment.

This actually combines the best of BOTH the Ford AND GM interiors. Look at the climate controls... thats PURE GM right there. The wood trim and the design of the dash is more Ford, but there is alot of GM here as well.

+1 for Chrysler here. The new management is working.