: Parking you car

middieblueSTS
01-10-08, 11:35 PM
I know I'm over protective of my car but there's nothing I hate more than door dings on a ride! When parking in shopping centers, work, sporting events, etc. I use extra caution. A little something I like to call PP (protective parking-LOL). I park next to the curb or on the end spot whenever possible so it's not possible for anther car to park on one side of me. When my PP spots aren't avail and when parking @ work or somewhere where peoples cars will sit for a while I try to park on the left side of an already parked car so I know if someone pulls into my left they will get out on their left because they are most likely traveling alone. I know I'm a freak about it (incase you can't tell by now!). I love my ride though. 2000 STS midnight blue with 18 inch 2007 DTS chrome 8spoke wheels. Is anyone else like this? ThoughtS? My Girlfriend hates it! haha I don't care!

CadillacSTS42005
01-10-08, 11:45 PM
your GF is a nut job
lose her keep the car
and im VERY much the same lol

CadillacGurl
01-11-08, 12:01 AM
MiddieSTS,
He *one who posted above me aka my bf* does something similar to what you do. Honestly, I gladly check the passenger side when we come out from the mall, movie theater, or dinner for dings. Believe me if it was my car and he noticed something, I'd rather I know about it then find it before its too late. Your gf shouldn't think you're nuts, she should be glad to help you check.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-08, 02:27 AM
I'm the same way. I always try to park where there are no other cars, or next to a curb or pillar if I'm in a parking ramp.

middieblueSTS
01-11-08, 10:45 AM
well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Sandy
01-11-08, 10:49 AM
I am exactly the same. I have it totally mastered! My LAST door ding was in 1963 ! More than likely before most of you were born !! When I go to the maul ( :) ) I park in that spot people fight over on December 24th at 4PM. Walking is good for you. Never ever park next to a big SUV as their back doors have sharp points where they curve around the rear wheel opening that will easily dent your car's side. Never park next to a SUV with baloons in the back seat. Young kids fling open doors w/out a care in the world.
Parking far away, it the best thing you can do.
Supermarkets are bad, as people do not return their METAL baskets. Wind blows or another car taps the basket and they take off, in search of YOUR car's flanks. In supermarkets I park in outter lostwoods.
In a parking lot that is not level, or is downhill, park at the highest spot. Baskets do not roll uphill.
At the airport, park in long term parking, if possible, otherwise an end spot and move over a bit, so that your tires are right ON the painted parking line, to give the dented Toyopet Camry that's gonna park next to you alot of room.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-08, 01:51 PM
Sandy wrote the book on how to avoid parking lot dings. :histeric:

EcSTSatic
01-11-08, 01:53 PM
Ditto

I get a laugh when I go to the YMCA and see people looking for the closest parking space so they don't have to walk (exercise). What's wrong with this picture? :hmm:

NOT ON MY WATCH
01-11-08, 04:22 PM
I'm the same way - park where nobody else is likely to park, find a spot with another parking spot on only one side, etc. When my wife and I go grocery shopping, if we're taking the Caddy I will drop her off and go park in Timbuktu. Then when we're done I go get the car and pick her up in front of the store - and I load everything in right there.

Must...avoid...door dents...

There have been times where I've parked way the hell out in no-man's land and nobody else is parked anywhere near me - and I come out to find some idiot has decided to park his ride next to mine. :wtf:

middieblueSTS
01-11-08, 05:07 PM
yeah WTF is right! Some guy in a land rover did that to me the other day too and I felt like putting a mickey mouse sticker on his windshield. I won't post the link but google "mickey mouse parking ticket", and it's the 1st result returned. I imagine they get the point across best when printed on stickers the cops use for broken down cars on the hwy that are moved soon enough (the stickers that won't come off even if you use a blow torch, lol). I've never done it, but it's tempting. I agree with you guys that there is nothing wrong with walking, it's good 4 you! The YMCA thing is so funny and so true!

My GF isn't a nut job she's just like the majority of the population. What most people don't realize all of the wrecklessness that goes on that Sandy described above! A lot of people are careless, self centered, or just don't understand when they swing their door into yours it's like sticking needles into our eye balls. Many times I will drop her off at the door too. I think I'll start to do that more often so I don't feel pressured with parking and find a spot that's suitable. So keep up the protective parking (PP) and keep your cadillacs looking smooth and ding free!

Sandy
01-11-08, 05:26 PM

That's only chapter 1.

Angle Parking ( /////) I especially do NOT like! Here it's very hard to get an end spot as they are the ones reserved for the handicaped. I'll try & find different style parking not too far away.

Parking at train stations :: Look for rear bumper or window decals indicating that the driver is a preferred commuter car. This means 4 to 6 will be pilling in there, and that gives YOU 4 to 6 chances of getting dinged. Park to the right side of a really tiny car.

Supermarket :: Never park near a basket collector area. Lots of people will walk their basket all the way back, EXCEPT the last 7 feet, when they "aim & push" ! If you're next to the collector area, the basket will be so attracted by your car it will miss the collector and kiss your back bumper and crack your taillamp.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-08, 05:34 PM
Sandy, you're the man.

middieblueSTS
01-11-08, 05:36 PM
A true Guru! Like the mickey mouse sticker? Seen it b4?

Sandy
01-11-08, 05:54 PM
I have fun at Mauls ! For those that don't know, my Cadillac is 98% of the time in storage. It goes to shows and then home. My daily drive is a 2003 Lincoln Town Car - the "Spring (of 2003) Feature Car", called THE LIMITED, which was the tip top of the line.

She has a power open to the fullest (as in all the way up) powered back trunk, that is run by a motor. Clicking the key fob a 2nd time, will fully power all the way down, and lock/secure her to the fully closed posistion. When I see a fancy lady with her 'Bendz or Bummer I'll park not too far away, and walk away with my hand in my pocket, on the key fob. About 40 feet away I'll turn and verbally speak out LOUD, "CLOSE TRUNK" while pushing the button in my pocket. The trunk obeys and pulls itself down the 5 feet and shuts. Then I say to my wife "Those voice activated trunks on the Lincolns are just great" - Of course she's thinking....Hey, how come I don't have that on my $80,000 7 Series ! :bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-08, 05:58 PM
Hahahaha, Sandy.

middieblueSTS
01-11-08, 06:03 PM
LOL. nice

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-12-08, 03:51 PM
Haha. My uncle was one of the first people to install a remote starter on my aunts Camaro when they first came out. Back then they also would not flash the parking lights when engaged, just start the engine. He used to come walking out of a fancy resturant on Christmas eve and do the same thing "Start car." People would just gauk at us. On the same note, how many of you have twilight sentinel on your cars? I cannot count the number of times people have reminded me my lights are on, only to have them shut off on their own 10-15 seconds later. My parents still do it, even though I have had the car for almost 6 months now.

Submariner409
01-12-08, 04:02 PM
Everything above, except the power trunk and remote start, used to apply to me. Now, after 2 hellish neck surgeries in '06 - '07, which fused 5 vertebrae together, I have one of those hated little blue wheelchair hangy thingies. When I'm driving the STS, I use the thing to its fullest advantage. (I sincerely wish I didn't need it............)

creeker
01-12-08, 05:44 PM

My ding isn't parking lot related but I thought this is good time to whine about rock chip ding on my newly repainted hood,went to mall (5 miles) and when I got home I seen the ding on front edge of hood,it's more of a mush as paint is not completly dry yet,it was painted 5 days before ding.
also another complaint I have are passengers who smash the s**t out of your door when they close it.

Destroyer
01-14-08, 12:41 AM
2000 STS midnight blue with 18 inch 2007 DTS chrome 8spoke wheels. Is anyone else like this? ThoughtS? My Girlfriend hates it! haha I don't care!No, but I used to be. At this stage in life and financial status I just dont give a rats arse. Ding my car, key my car, who gives a crap?. I'm enjoying my rides regardless. I take very little stock in cars nowadays. I see them for what they are; transportation; some more fun than others and that is all. Dont get too attached too your car, its a sure sign of weakness and that you are deficient in other aspects of life. Take your dings and scratches like a man!.

thebigjimsho
01-14-08, 01:52 AM
OK, my Town Car gets babied...even though it gets 60k+ miles per year. But for the V, I go the extra mile.

The V does not get parked in a heavily parked area unless it has to. And then, I get an end spot. The beauty of the side mirrors that pivot to the ground is that I can get the passenger side wheels within an inch of the curb. That gives me about 3 ft of space before the parking line. Even if the next car rides the line, it won't touch the V. As long as there is not totally packed parking, I will take 2 spots. And again, I'll look for a couple of end spots. Then I will park 85% of the car in the spot next to the end spot. That way, there will be about 3 ft between me and the next car...and no one can squeeze in the end space. But ONLY if the lot is not slammed.

If the lot is slammed, I will take a double spot or an end spot AS FAR AWAY from the place I'm going to as possible. You won't get the anger as if you tried that move near the door.

If parallel parking is involved, I always try to find the last space before a driveway or road. And then I'll go over the end of that space by a foot or maybe more if I can. That depends on the vigor of the meter maids and traffic involved. If there is a space and then a hydrant, even better.

There may be cases where I need to find another location. Not parking area, but another mall or whatever. And no walk is too far. If I have to sit and wait for an end spot, I'll do it.

I had a couple dings on my last Town Car, and each killed me. One was when I was parked on a one way street and a car stopped close to drop off someone. The other was when I was at the airport and a taxi dropped off right next to my parked car. Not much you can do to prevent things when you're stuck in high-traffic areas.

The V doesn't get subjected to that. It is 3 1/2 years old and is ding free. I also have friends who will block for me and park around me and block off potential offenders. One of my favorite moves is having 2 cars park each on the same line, passenger door to passenger door, almost touching.

Those are just some of my tricks...

Jesda
01-14-08, 02:40 PM
I drive a large SUV. I'm just happy to fit into the spot.

thebigjimsho
01-14-08, 08:25 PM
I drive a large SUV. I'm just happy to fit into the spot....and pants...

Destroyer
01-14-08, 09:00 PM
I also have friends who will block for me and park around me and block off potential offenders. One of my favorite moves is having 2 cars park each on the same line, passenger door to passenger door, almost touching.

Those are just some of my tricks...You have great friends!. I know if I'm out with a few buds and I say something along the lines of "hey guys, park your cars around mine so nobody else can ding it", they would block my car in and then proceed to open their doors and ding mine. :D

thebigjimsho
01-14-08, 09:32 PM
You have great friends!. I know if I'm out with a few buds and I say something along the lines of "hey guys, park your cars around mine so nobody else can ding it", they would block my car in and then proceed to open their doors and ding mine. :DThey know how nutz I am about dings and they do it just to save time. But if they ever did ding mine...

middieblueSTS
01-15-08, 01:11 PM
My buddy would laugh @ me if I asked them that.

BigJon
01-15-08, 06:36 PM
i am the same way i park far way ever since i had the caddy repainted i dont park by no one even it it snowing... i cant wait to get a junker to drive for the winter.. though cuz i hate driving my baby with salt i wash her once a week to keep her clean i know that it over board my friends laugh at me but they say it a pretty car it snowed real bad here on new years eve.. and i had to be theDD and i drove someone home this car full of kids crashed in toe grass they said they didnt want to hit my pretty lac :-) glad other people notice..