: MSD ignition

El Don Oso
01-10-08, 06:36 PM
Hey All,
Just checkin to see if anyone had an MSD ignition on their N*. Im looking in to purchasing one but Im wondering if its worth the money.

Submariner409
01-10-08, 07:26 PM
A '94 is a bit before my time (??) but I'm not sure that the type of ignition trigger in a N* would let you put in another CD box.

One of the Cadillac techs will chime in.

These systems throw a hell of a good precision computer-controlled spark from the get-go. Why would you go to an aftermarket setup, anyway? (Don't get me wrong....I run a either a Pertronix or MSD magnetic trigger distributor in my Olds 455 boat engine. That's a good thing.) The N* doesn't need it, just as it doesn't like aftermarket wires or cutesy plugs, either.

The N* is tricked out as is. There's precious little you can do to make it any better.

El Don Oso
01-10-08, 08:40 PM
My 94 El Dog may be a little older then most on this site, but a N* is a N*. It just turned 100k and I replaced all the seals and gaskets,so its tight. Other then that its pretty much stock. From what I have read in this forum so far agrees with the fact there is "precious little you can do to make it any better." But its worth a shot.

dkozloski
01-10-08, 08:54 PM
The 1912 Model T Ford had mutltiple spark discharge ignition. It's been around for a coon's age under several different names.

Submariner409
01-10-08, 09:14 PM
ElDon.....Good words. Take a hard look at cleaning up the intake tract and installing a real cold air intake: not some chrome top-hat thing under the hood, but a good modification of the existing air box (the filter already flows more air than the engine can use) by running a 3 1/2 or 4 " line down to the lower grille area. Do some measuring and guessing and come up with a good, reliable exhaust system mod that will get you a 2 3/4" to 3" mandrel bent pipe from the cat to the Y, then 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 pipes to a good set of s/s free flowing mufflers. Look for eye-catching-but-conservative tips. (Not too loud, or the drone will drive you out of the car). The new exhaust will wake things up above 4,000rpm. Dig into these threads and query AJxtcman on chip mods for a tad more mid and -upper range punch. Keep the throttlebody and intake manifold stock and squeaky clean. Make darn sure the waterpump belt and tensioner are perfect. Faithfully perform your coolant and supplement changes. I believe your engine has a waste-spark system (2 plugs fire at the same time), so make sure the secondary wires are OEM ACDelco and dressed properly. Once every 2 thousand miles, run a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON through the fuel system, or use one of the "top tier" (search...) fuels in order to keep combustion chamber deposits under control. Change to the new synthetic DEXRON VI transmission fluid: less parasitic friction and crisper shifts. Don't get anal.....drain what you can, put back the exact same amount, and do it again in the late spring. Make sure your engine cradle mounts, dogbone torque struts, and sway bar bushings are mint. Keep your tire and wheel mounting surfaces clean, and torque the studs to 100 ft/lb.

Memory dump.

CadillacSTS42005
01-10-08, 11:02 PM
memory serves me right Allyssa was powered with an MSD ignition...

El Don Oso
01-12-08, 01:30 AM
Submariner,
I appreciate the info, that is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. It gives me a good starting point.