: Hey Wes

Ralph
05-21-03, 01:01 AM
Hey Wes, I saw an older Q probably not unlike yours the other day, about 1994? or '95. It was a good-looking car. Perhaps you guys can get some new Caddy emblems and glue 'em on. LOL!

BeelzeBob
05-21-03, 01:06 AM
Ralph. I split this post out of the "Addicted to CadillacForums" thread. This would have been much better made a new post than a reply in that other thread...

elwesso
05-23-03, 10:24 PM
Hey ralph!! I just now saw this, because i dont normally just peruse the forums. The only way to tell the difference between a 94-94 and a 90-93 is by the front end. The 90-93 basically loks like it doesnt have a grille, and the 94-96 looks like mine.

By any change did you see if any of them were Q45a or Q45t :D

Ralph
05-24-03, 02:56 AM
Well my friend that I was with pointed it out to me, unfortunately I never saw which model it was, but it reminded me of the new Infinity M45 for some reason, which is a good lookin' automobile. I've never seen another and probably because in our city of 210,000 people, we do not have a dealership for them.

BeelzeBob
05-24-03, 08:01 AM
I don't remember what your Q looks like, Wes.. But the only thing I don't like about the Q's is the grill. Everything else looks cool. The sides, the back - class, class, class.. But that grill.. What they heck were they thinking? It's the "face" of the car!

elwesso
05-25-03, 12:14 AM
Are you talking about my model, or the older ones??? I personally like the one on mine, but on the older ones it is basically non existent.... Some like it, but i dont.

Although, it has been said that the 90-93 Qs are the most powerful ever. 278hp, completely stock have been dyno-ed at almost 290 AT THE WHEELS!

Ralph
05-26-03, 01:02 AM
Wes, nice pic, like the red. Your front end looks like a pre-98 Towncar though! What is your hp? Are you faster than my Caddy?

elwesso
05-26-03, 09:59 AM
Ralph, your caddy wouldnt stand a chance!!! :D

278hp, 298ft/lbs. Although its rated at that, people have dynoed them (stock), and run at about 300hp. Apparently they gradually worked their way down to 278 until 1996 (because of the deleted variable valve timing, OBDII, and increased emissions requirements), the last year for the VH45DE engine in the Qs.

That picture does look like a town car, i didnt notice that!! When you look at it face on, it looks more like a BMW than anything.

Ralph
05-27-03, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
Ralph, your caddy wouldnt stand a chance!!! :D

278hp, 298ft/lbs. Although its rated at that, people have dynoed them (stock), and run at about 300hp. Apparently they gradually worked their way down to 278 until 1996 (because of the deleted variable valve timing, OBDII, and increased emissions requirements), the last year for the VH45DE engine in the Qs.

That picture does look like a town car, i didnt notice that!! When you look at it face on, it looks more like a BMW than anything.

Hey, what's that Lincoln Town Car doing on our Caddy Forum? Lets get 'em! :D :cool: Gez I didn't know they had that kind of guts, that is more powerful than mine. But you are probably burning oil or something. LOL:cool:

elwesso
05-27-03, 04:38 PM
Yeah, OK RALPH. You just come down from canadia, and talk this out :histeric:

My car doesnt have the head gasket problem AND the case half leak....!!! Not a drop of oil has been burned over the last 120,000 (yes, the oil has been changed every 90 days) miles :D

Take that :nyanya:

Ralph
05-28-03, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a keeper, why do you want a Cadillac again?? LOL. I'd better be careful or I'll be named a closet ricer by my biker buddy!

elwesso
05-28-03, 02:52 PM
Because cadillacs actually FEEL like a luxuary car.... Regardless of the features it has, the Japs just cant make a TRUE LUXUARY CAR IMO..... Ill be keeping this for a while, because i cant afford to pay for maintenance of a caddy..... Besides there are Qs with 245k and only 1 tranny and origional engine.....

elwesso
05-28-03, 02:53 PM
And theres nothing wrong with being a closet ricer :D

Ralph
05-29-03, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I know everybody drools for the BMW and Mercedes, Lexus, but none of those are actually DESIGNED for a smooth ride. Beamers are very firm and so are the E series Benz. They are designed this way for the autobahn. A couple weekends ago I drove my parents to Regina (provinces capital), anyway I made my syepdad look at the new Mercedes S class. Now he just bought a new DTS, and HATES any foreign car, but he sat in it and loved it, except for the "hard seats!!" But overall, American luxury cars are designed to soft and supple.

elwesso
05-29-03, 10:00 AM
And IMO, thats how their supposed to be....

Ralph
05-30-03, 02:49 AM
Right on Ricer Dude! I mean, if I'm going to rob a bank and want handelling I will take a BMW and get a sore back in the process. (hehe) When I want a smooth floaty cloud 9 ride, I'll recommend Cadillac anyday. Mind you, the DTS, isn't that one supposed to be able to run with the BIG EURO BOYS?

elwesso
05-30-03, 09:11 AM
I dont think cadillac is trying to compete with the european market, or the japanese..... I think they are playing their own game, and whether its working or not thats another story....

I do think their making strides in the right direction (CTS, XLR, SRX, etc....)

Ralph
05-31-03, 03:23 AM
I guess if they were trying to compete with the Euro boys, then they might go RWD with rock hard shocks?!

elwesso
05-31-03, 03:13 PM
We cant also forget hard seats that your legs stick to in the summer.....

Ralph
06-01-03, 03:27 AM
At least in cars like these, you don't stick too badly to the seats with the AC on. !#*% that reminds me I have to fix my AC before it gets hot out! Does your Q have leather, and are there any special or different options yours has that are totally unique FROM a Cadillac, because maybe I'll trade ya.LOL

elwesso
06-01-03, 12:09 PM
Well it has heated leather, and it does have some nifty features that cadillac doesnt have..... Forinstance, there were three models of Q45s, the Q45, Q45A, Q45T. The Q45t had the best handling characteristics, and had the HICAS system, which is basically a 4 wheel steering system (i dont have that). The Q45a had the active suspension, similar, but more complex to your CCR.... You could adjust the ride height right from the dashboard, using a little knob (i dont have this either). The HICAS and active cars are pretty rare, dont really have that much improvement, and just add to repair costs..... But, some little things that it does have that cant really be found on cadillacs <of the same year>--- Automatic entry/exit (the steeringwheel and seat move up and back, respectively, when the door is open), power head rests, mirrors go down in reverse, you can put down the windows from the keyless remote, and there are some other even more miniscule things. The only thing I found useful that the cadillacs have that the Q doesnt have is the automatic headlights, you have to manually turn them on and off........

elwesso
06-01-03, 12:12 PM
IMO, the Q45 is far superior to the lexus LS400: it is as reliable (if you dont have the T or A model), repair costs are similar..... Apparently, lexus had more aggresive advertising than infiniti did when they came out, so lexus earned more class and fame..... Remember, infiniti was first to come out with a fully active suspension, voice recognition, etc....

Ralph
06-02-03, 12:50 AM
Well it has heated leather, and it does have some nifty features that cadillac doesnt have..... Forinstance, there were three models of Q45s, the Q45, Q45A, Q45T. The Q45t had the best handling characteristics, and had the HICAS system, which is basically a 4 wheel steering system (i dont have that). The Q45a had the active suspension, similar, but more complex to your CCR.... You could adjust the ride height right from the dashboard, using a little knob (i dont have this either). The HICAS and active cars are pretty rare, dont really have that much improvement, and just add to repair costs..... But, some little things that it does have that cant really be found on cadillacs <of the same year>--- Automatic entry/exit (the steeringwheel and seat move up and back, respectively, when the door is open), power head rests, mirrors go down in reverse, you can put down the windows from the keyless remote, and there are some other even more miniscule things. The only thing I found useful that the cadillacs have that the Q doesnt have is the automatic headlights, you have to manually turn them on and off........

Hmmmm, thats sounds pretty good after all. Only a couple of weeks ago I figured what the "exit" button on the drivers door is for. It is to make getting out of the car easier I guess if you are about 80. Yeah, this feature is not automatic on my Caddy, mind you with my dad's DTS, we finally figured out how to program the entry/exit seating positions, etc., when you are approaching the car and use the remote to unlock the doors, then the seats move. I don't mind the auto lights on feature, but I find it a bit annoying because I park in an underground parkade, away from everyone else, and it is always on and off too many times. As long as this does not mess with the sensor because one time they stayed on even in the sunlight!? But it is ok now. My cousin's mom has a 1991 745il, and laughed at Cadillac for not having the power headrest feature, which I have no personal use for. Something my dads has and my aunt's BMW is the outside mirrors tilt downward when you put the gear in reverse. I don't think I would want that because just like they say not to use power windows in the winter when there is ice on them, it could ruin the power motors IMO!? To me it just seems like they put so many options so they can charge more, but then that's part of the charm.:cool:

elwesso
06-02-03, 12:04 PM
The outside mirrors are heated, just so you know :D

Astronomer
06-02-03, 01:05 PM
My outside mirror ( passenger side only ) tilts down when I put it into reverse. This is a handy feature so that you can see the curb before you scrape your aluminum wheels on it! And; if you don't like it , you can disable it.

I am kinda impressed with the Q though.....I got a buddy who just got a 93....so I suspect I will be giving him a run for his money in the near term future. (watch for the kill story here) I just wish Wes would race an STS before I take him on so I can gain a little insight. :burn:

elwesso
06-02-03, 10:27 PM
It would be pretty tough to find a person who would race a STS.... Most drivers are old people....... I think that maybe the Q would win, but it would be close, and I am a bit impartial..... They arent too good in low RPMs, but once you hit 4000, it feels like a different engine, it just flys up to its 7000 redline... Getting almost 60 in 1st, and i believe its 278hp, 296 ft/lbs, was rated at the wheels.... Unfortunately, I havent had a chance to race the Q yet, but my time is coming..... I have had my share of times where I could have "carpe momentum-ed", but yesterday it was a sunbird, and today a old Jetta.....

elwesso
06-02-03, 10:28 PM
But nonetheless, the STS is a VERY quick car, and will definitely be a close race... Just make sure you are careful, and watch for the cops....

Ralph
06-04-03, 02:31 AM
A feature I don't like on the new Caddy (I wonder if your Q has this) and my '91 Caddy, is the doors unlocking in "park" I realize this is a convience feature, but what if a car jacker knows this about a certain model and waits for you to park? Its about as stupid as the antitheft feature on a 1990 5.0 Mustang with the ignition kill switch looking like the old dimmer switch on the floorboard, takes a thief about a minute to figure that one out!! Unless they are drunk.

elwesso
06-04-03, 02:29 PM
My Q doesnt lock the doors when you put it in gear... But it wont let you lock the keys in the car....

Ralph
06-05-03, 12:46 AM
A sad story for you, I was at the Nissan dealer just looking around today after supper and I ran into a guy who had a Lexus 430 ? (it was a big one) Anyway he said he has had BMW, Mercedes, Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Lexus. So when I asked him which has been the least reliable, you guessed it, Cadillac! He has driven Lexus for a few years and will never go back. He was impressed with my car's condition and I thought he would make me an offer, as he probably has money to burn.

He had an interesting option on the front end of his 2001 Lexus, sensors for the cruise control for when he gets too close to a slower car, his slows down automatically! I think that is a nice feature and I don't think Cadillac has that option?

elwesso
06-05-03, 11:51 AM
The new XLR has that feature--- Its called adaptive cruise control, and I think infiniti came out with it first, correct me if i'm wrong....

I have heard that lexus are the most reliable, but infiniti is right up there (sometimes surpassed) when the owners take care of them, by going above and beyond what the dealer/owners manual suggests...... Down in atlanta there was a 90 Q45 that lasted 400,000 miles, and it had 2 engines, and maybe 2 trannys..... The engine itself lasted 250k, and the trannys last about 180k......

Ralph
06-07-03, 03:23 AM
Talking about longevity, a new article in our local paper's "Drive Section" goes on to describe a lady's 1989 Toyota Corolla getting near 1 million kilometers! I am not sure of that in miles, but she has not repaired much except the tranny which gave up the ghost at "around 800,000 kms!" When she hits 1 million, Toyota wants it for publicity, and will give her a new one!!

elwesso
06-07-03, 11:02 AM
IMO, if you want longevity, late 80s and early 90s (up to about 1995), you cant do better than japanese.... Their quality is really beyond anything else.......

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 11:20 AM
IMO, if you want longevity, late 80s and early 90s (up to about 1995), you cant do better than japanese.... Their quality is really beyond anything else....... We owned a 88 Nissan Stanza (eww, our only import) and maybe our car was just a lemon, but the sunroof leaked, the AC went out, and we had to make some major repairs. Our friend with a ealry nineties Mazda MX-3 had a leaking sunroof too, and I pitty him because he lives in Florida where it is impossible to go 3 days without rain. Maybe it was only Toyota and Honda that were reliable :wacky:

elwesso
06-07-03, 11:48 AM
I was more referring to the powertrains......

Ralph
06-08-03, 12:33 AM
Some Nissans are made in Mexico. When my Aunts new 1985 Olds Cutlass Supreme (nice car!) sunroof leaked too so my stepdad caulked silicone and problem solved.