: Which Gender are the better drivers?

tru504187211
05-11-04, 09:49 AM
According to our backwards British friends...its females!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1503&ncid=1503&e=6&u=/afp/20040511/ts_afp/britain_motoring_women_040511114451

LOL

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm not sexist at all. I have many friends that are girls, but I must say that most women are terrible drivers. I remember going to dunkin donuts the first day I had the cad to myself, and as i opened the door, this tiny woman in this huge navigator came flying into the parking spot and almost took my door off. She didint' even apologize. Plus women drive slower and dont pay as much attention as guys do. Also they never change their oil. Women that love their cares tend to be really good drivers.

BeelzeBob
05-11-04, 12:06 PM
I think that, for the most part, men are better drivers. Not simply "because they're men", but because men have a more active interest in driving. If it were the other way around, and more women customized their cars and treated them like they were their "babies", then women would likely be the better drivers.. I don't think it's about skill or capability, but interest. I know a few women who are really into cars and they're really good drivers. I know a lot of women who couldn't care any less about cars, don't enjoy driving - and don't do it very well either...

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 12:23 PM
Exactly

tru504187211
05-11-04, 12:26 PM
The only woman I know who is an almost flawless driver is my mother. She drives a minivan (not in the greatest shape), but being higher up she can see problems before they happen - not too high though (Navi height). She's cautious and defensive and doesn't risk herself or her vehicle very often.

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 12:50 PM
The thing that makes guy's bad drivers is road rage.

Ralph
05-11-04, 03:13 PM
I think that, for the most part, men are better drivers. Not simply "because they're men", but because men have a more active interest in driving. If it were the other way around, and more women customized their cars and treated them like they were their "babies".

That's a good theory! I've always felt that, but never knew how to say it, LOL or bother trying. :p

I agree, and I'll go a little further and say men in their 30's. Simply because they are past the "boy racer" mentality. Yes, I know that there are MANY good drivers below and above those in their 30's. Plus I'm biased. ;)

What scares me are women in a large SUV, on a cell phone, WHILE tending to their baby in the back seat! Ever see that in your rearview mirror? Also, the common tailgators seem to be young girls in little red cars.

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 03:36 PM
I notice the same stuff Ralph. I rememer being on 93north on the NH line and there's this Excursion going the speed limit in the middle of both lanes. Keep in mine this is a two and two divided highway. So i got the balls and sped up and went around her with my blazer. She was on a cell phone, eating, and like you said, tending to her kid in the backseat. She saw me passing and started yelling. I gave her the finger and drove off.

D148L0
05-11-04, 04:09 PM
There is a couple of studies (don't ask where) saying that women don have the same space perception abilities as men... have you read about it Ralph? It's interesting... the fact that most of women dont really care for driving is also a valid point. I think the % of good male drivers is bigger than its counterpart.

Ralph
05-11-04, 04:27 PM
There is a couple of studies (don't ask where) saying that women don have the same space perception abilities as men... have you read about it Ralph? It's interesting... the fact that most of women dont really care for driving is also a valid point. I think the % of good male drivers is bigger than its counterpart.

Sounds like you have some Psychology/Sociology in your background? It's been 7 years since I graduated but there were studies done on these sorts of things. All I remember on that is that younger drivers who are in better physical condition, (supposedly) and who have the ability to do things like shoulder check, DON'T BOTHER half the time! Reaction time is supposedly quicker with young drivers. As drivers get older, they tend to drive slower, but may not be able to see as clearly, or cannot perform a simple shoulder check, etc.

There are other studies that supposedly mention women and men have different regions of the brain that have specialized development, therefore women are better at certain things and vise versa for men. There is a simple test for this that I remember. See if you can tap your head with one hand, while rubbing your stomach in a circular motion with the other. Supposedly women can do this better because they have more communication between the hemispheres of the brain through the bundle of nerves called the corpus collasum.

p.s. what's in your Avatar? All I see is black. :hmm:

elwesso
05-11-04, 06:35 PM
I think its double sided.....

Ive noticed mainly that they drive slow when you can drive fast (interstate/highways) and drive fast when you should drive slow (parking lots). I passed a soccer mom in her suburban, going 30 in a 45, with the visor down, mirror open, yelling at kids and doing something else (it was along way up from the Q).. You gotta give it to them for multitasking, I guess :rolleyes2:

On a side note, I was taking my friend to baseball practice (on the way home from school, its at our other campus) and I she was flying around in this little honda pilot, the entrance to the parking lot is 2 lanes. She goes all the way to the right, and blocks me in and starts yelling. She was REALLY pissed, and I didnt do anything! I couldnt tell what she said (my AC was on and windows up), so I layed on the horn. This was in the parking lot of an elementary school and this mom was lightiing it up...

Again, when we went on a class trip, we followed one of the moms driving a minivan, and we counted 25 unneccesary brakings (we were following her and didnt count it when we hit the brakes)!

Vesicant
05-11-04, 06:50 PM
I notice the same stuff Ralph. I rememer being on 93north on the NH line and there's this Excursion going the speed limit in the middle of both lanes. Keep in mine this is a two and two divided highway. So i got the balls and sped up and went around her with my blazer. She was on a cell phone, eating, and like you said, tending to her kid in the backseat. She saw me passing and started yelling. I gave her the finger and drove off.hahaha thats great... :worship:

I know mothers have to pay attention to their kids, but some pay too much attention and then start doing other things while they are at it lecturing their kids on what not to do... and its always at the wrong moments. Then the worse thing is, say your in a store and some soccer mom starts holding you accountable for some problem shes having if your in the area or in her way.

(Insurance policy: Im not sexist- just an observation)

inmycadillac
05-11-04, 07:03 PM
Yeah, men are better drivers. Women have more driver error accidents than men. Men have more road rage or showing off accidents than women. So, men might have more overall accidents but they drive defensively. Hence, making them better drivers.

Defensive driving is what its all about. :cool:

Watching out for that woman thats trying to apply her lipstick while looking in the fold down vanity mirror in the visor while she's driving 40 in a 25 cuz shes late for work. :annoyed:

Or...

Watching out for that jakkarss passing every one in 5 lanes of traffic cuz he needs to show his buddy that he can do it. :canttalk:

theGman
05-11-04, 07:17 PM
I agree with Elwesso that the female sex drives at speeds inverted to smart driving.
I have been doing an informal survey in my town for the past 10 years or so, and find that the most dangerous drivers of all are the old purple hair women (the men are usually dead by this time) driving 4 door Buicks.

Side note: When did "gender" replace "sex" ? Gender has to do with grammar. They are the female sex not the female gender.

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 08:10 PM
If you drive agressivley, it can help, if your not an assclown about it.

Msilva954
05-12-04, 07:28 AM
American statistics show that women have now exceeded the male accident average.....they went up like 45% in the past 10 yrs. A special report on TV said it was due to SUV's and cell phones, and while I believe that to some point.....I also believe that women driving Hummers and Suburbans just encourages them to gain road rage.

D148L0
05-12-04, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you have some Psychology/Sociology in your background?Warm... hehe

All I remember on that is that younger drivers who are in better physical condition, (supposedly) and who have the ability to do things like shoulder check, DON'T BOTHER half the time! Reaction time is supposedly quicker with young drivers. As drivers get older, they tend to drive slower, but may not be able to see as clearly, or cannot perform a simple shoulder check, etc. I agree... testosterone and over-confidence vs old age...

There are other studies that supposedly mention women and men have different regions of the brain that have specialized development, therefore women are better at certain things and vise versa for men. The regions are basically the same, the degree of use and the communication between hemispheres via the corpus callosum its what makes the difference.

p.s. what's in your Avatar? All I see is black. :hmm:It is a pentagram. I can see it clearly enough, but thanks for bringing that up, maybe I'll have to look for a better one...

RBraczyk
05-12-04, 11:17 AM
American statistics show that women have now exceeded the male accident average.....they went up like 45% in the past 10 yrs. A special report on TV said it was due to SUV's and cell phones, and while I believe that to some point.....I also believe that women driving Hummers and Suburbans just encourages them to gain road rage.
The reason for this is the fact that soccer moms now don't have to worry about their kids getting injured in a minivan, so they figure, why not and plow into the back of someone instead of jamming on the brakes and hurting their child's "feeble chest". I remember watching a soccer mom plow right into the back of this kid's beemer. I remember convincing the kid to let it go because I stop when I see most accident's cause no-one was there for me. I thought he was gonna go kill the woman's children. BTW the beemer was mashed up to the backseat. :crybaby:

inmycadillac
05-12-04, 01:49 PM
Yeah, men are better drivers. Women have more driver error accidents than men. Men have more road rage or showing off accidents than women. So, men might have more overall accidents but they drive defensively. Hence, making them better drivers.

Defensive driving is what its all about. :cool:

Watching out for that woman thats trying to apply her lipstick while looking in the fold down vanity mirror in the visor while she's driving 40 in a 25 cuz shes late for work. :annoyed:

Or...

Watching out for that jakkarss passing every one in 5 lanes of traffic cuz he needs to show his buddy that he can do it. :canttalk:Anyone agree/disagree??

El Dobro
05-12-04, 03:54 PM
From past experience, it seems that women don't get into accidents as much as they cause them. That's probably why the statistics tend to be skewed. They cause them and then drive away, unaware of anything going on behind them.

RBraczyk
05-12-04, 04:18 PM
Speaking to this, i just got back from the dungeon known as walmart and saw some girl plow into the back of a silverado with a honda.

Caddy Man
05-12-04, 04:27 PM
you need to drive definsvely and you need to drive agressivly too. the defensive drivers are the ones taht are alwas goin slow and sh*t like they teach you in drivers ed, try driving defensivly in any city and just watch ureself get run over.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-04, 05:38 PM
depends , are we driveing at 10/10s on closed course ? ...men in that case (outside the lovely danica patrick)

are we drag raceing ? women all the way (beatter reaction time)

motorcycles ? go watch angell seeling (or is it savoy now?) shes damn good

are we going to the grocery store of soccer practice ? the woman should be in the damned trunk .......

are we under 20 and ? women , men are too eager to drive at the teen age years , women are typicaly more careful and drive more underpowered well mainted cars , wilst men drive that fastset thing that the macdonalds paycheck could buy (ususly something with a v8 , 100k+ miles and drum brakes ) men them modify the car for more power before taking care of mantinece issues or anything for that matter

RBraczyk
05-12-04, 06:20 PM
Mmmmm, Danica Patrick is fine, but i see your point stoney about where women take care before performance whereas guys are balls out performance over maintence.

Msilva954
05-12-04, 06:33 PM
An accident happened on the way home...bout 10 seconds before i got there. Chevy Blazer and the guy was going way to fast on this on-ramp. Flew outa the car, we called 911 and when another guy started running to the guy on the floor he just stopped dead in his tracks......its sad....but at the same time you relize how stupid alot of drivers really are. Im glad I dont drive an SUV.

DaveSmed
05-12-04, 11:30 PM
Heh, The woman that hit my car "Didn't see it." http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Daytime, my lights were still on from a construction zone, and its friggin huge to boot! My entire front fender was past her before she decided to pull out. Oh and for those interested, my car is still not fixed. Also, Just yesterday, I was sitting at a light, and the driver of the stopped Isusu box truck, painted an ovbious color (some furniture place) next to me opens his door and hops out shaking his head. I look back, and see some woman decided to redecorate her CRV with the steel bumper of the box truck. SHE DIDN'T GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE EVEN AFTER HITTING IT! And the way the intersection is laid out, its not like its a suprise you need to stop, when the light goes green, you turn on this other road where the light is always red the other is green. I think this makes my stance pretty clear....

Skuuter
05-13-04, 03:30 PM
I see bad male drivers almost as much as I see bad women drivers. I drive 50 miles every day and take a different route regularly. I think it can be summed up this way:

Men who are not knowledgable about cars tend to be poor drivers. In order to be a capable, predictive and defensive driver you have to have some analytical or engineering attributes. Guys who can't change a tire or tell what's what under the hood are generally passive agressives - just like women. Then of course you have the overly agressive males who can't stand to be passed, ride the center line like they're playing chicken, and hog the fast lane to make a point.

Women who are into cars, bikes, whatever... tend to be more agressive drivers, but not necessarily better ones. They just drive with more confidence and are more aware of what can go wrong. I'd take that any day over the male examples above.

Most women I know consider a car a way to get from A to B. They could care less about performance or car care. A lot are competent, but just. The majority (sorry girls, but it's true) are just oblivious to other traffic.

Pimpin_Whity
05-13-04, 06:16 PM
i think guys are better drivers because they care more about their car and don't want to do anyting to other peoples cars because they know how it feels, there are exceptions to this. women usualy talk on the phone or put on makeup while driving, or do some other distracting stuff. also when they get mad........let's just say you dont want to be in that car :rolleyes2

just a story of mad women driving. i was comming back from the mall and i got to an intersection of a big avenue and a little two-way street, i'm on the two-way. some guy is making a right and slowed down to let the cars pass, some dumb female driver (no offence) is honking behind me like something's going to happen is she does it (i just hate that). well the guy turns and i start driving slowly, she's still honking :rant2:, then when i get to the middle of the intersection i see her red minivan speed off into the right at the same time i see a new 330Ci drive right past me :canttalk: (doing like 45 in a 35 zone). well bieng that Bimmers have good brakes and hadling he was able to stop and dodge her, but if there was anyone after her on our side of the road he would have a head-on collision :bonkers:, the guy stands there for a few seconds, backs up and speeds up to catch up to her. i just wish i followed him to see what he does, but i was too tired and needed to play video games :rolleyes2

elwesso
05-13-04, 06:16 PM
I agree with these points... However I think I can summarize it in these words

Women suck becuase they dont know how to drive

Men usually are bad drivers either because they are driving too fast/acting like a retard, or dont care... They have the ability to be safe, its wether or not they acualy do it!

RBraczyk
05-13-04, 08:45 PM
nice wes. Well said.

firmegirl93
05-13-04, 11:59 PM
Here I am once again......male vs female

To be perfectly honest.....out of my comparisson I have noticed that males are better drivers. However I do agree that people with custom cars or clean cars at that are always better drivers. I've noticed that people driving buckets show no remourse for their vehicles so much less others' vehicles.

I take especially good care of my car.....always paying attention to my driving and the driving of others around me. The last thing I need is to be in an accident while in my car because just thinking about seeing my car crashed up kills me.

This is my opinion.....females please dont think that I am hating. Well, I guess I really dont have to worry about that one because there arent that many females on this site anyways.

RBraczyk
05-14-04, 12:37 AM
Well, I guess I really dont have to worry about that one because there arent that many females on this site anyways.
Thats the beauty of it...:)

Playdrv4me
05-17-04, 12:04 PM
Men