: Catera ignition key insight?

446Dart
01-09-08, 06:02 AM
I recently purchased a 2000 Catera and it came with only one key. I would like to have an extra key to be safe. I went to the local Cadillac dealer and they want $200 :eek: to make me another key. Does anyone have any insight on getting a less expensive key made?

Boris
01-09-08, 12:53 PM
Go to any locksmith that does car keys and have him cut 2 regular keys.
Tape your existing key (the one with the chip) right under the lock barrel and conceal it with the steering column plastics.

That way you can use a regular key and the immobilizer will still get a response from the original key stuffed up underneath.

Haven't done this with my Cat but have done it with a few other vehicles with immobilizers and it always worked.

cateraowner
01-09-08, 01:59 PM
Go to any locksmith that does car keys and have him cut 2 regular keys.
Tape your existing key (the one with the chip) right under the lock barrel and conceal it with the steering column plastics.

That way you can use a regular key and the immobilizer will still get a response from the original key stuffed up underneath.

Haven't done this with my Cat but have done it with a few other vehicles with immobilizers and it always worked.

this would work, but it'll make your immobilizer useless.

another way is to buy one off ebay and get it programmed at a caddy dealership or at a locksmith that may be able to program the transponder

passionaterage
01-09-08, 06:24 PM
I too only have one key, and Ive always worried about locking myself out. I recently bought a key blank for it off ebay for 15 bucks. I want to just have it cut and then put it under my car to unlock the door ONLY. I know enough not to put an unprogrammed key into the ignition. I took it to Lowes home improvement, but they wouldn't touch it. I haven't really looked for a locksmith yet, but I'll look soon and try to just have it cut. But as far as locking myself out, I found out something entirely by mistake the other night. I parked and was gonna run into a store for a second and leave my g/f in the car. I found out that the door lock switch won't lock the door with the key in the ignition! That's a pretty good feature i thought. So I guess altho you could lay your key on the seat and forget and lock yourself out, you cant do it with the key in the ignition. Very cool I thought.

Boris
01-09-08, 10:36 PM
this would work, but it'll make your immobilizer useless.

What do we need an immobilizer for anyway ?
Oh, you think someone would actually steal a Catera. :histeric:

Seriously, if your dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg to program a key (I know my dealer did) than maybe it would be better just to hide the programed key under the column and get a simple alarm.

AllenPacla
01-10-08, 01:52 AM
In the past, I came across a Locksmith on wheels, and he was able to duplicate my keys complete with the chip inside for $50.00. I lost his contact number, but you can probably search for a local Locksmith that can do this, don't be shy to haggle a little bit and you'll get a good deal.

446Dart
01-10-08, 06:08 AM
I found a local locksmith that said he could do it but I must first get the code and pin from the dealer. Our Cadillac dealer wouldn't give it to me and the other GM dealers don't know what I'm talking about. So, I guess, I'm still stuck.

446Dart
01-10-08, 08:16 AM
I have not seen any 2000 key blanks for sale on Ebay for a couple of weeks now, otherwise I would go that route.

cateraowner
01-10-08, 04:50 PM
is it me or does there seem to be a lot of people with only one key for this car.

I'm in the same boat, I just don't see how so many people can lose such a big key.

passionaterage
01-10-08, 05:08 PM
I dont think alarms matter much on these cars myself. If someone were to steal it, in a month it would be sitting back in your driveway will a bill attached...lol

lbrty9
02-19-08, 08:05 PM
You can get the key from gmpartsdirect. It's p/n 9120300 ($48.88)and your local dealer will have to cut it and program. The dealers around here will do it for anywhere from $58 to $83 depending on who you talk to.

mcutchi
12-13-11, 10:28 PM
Amazing how many people have one key ! My local Cadillac dealer wanted $135 (and an appointment) just to cut and program a spare key (no remote). So I bought a blank from ebay for $21.49 and had it cut and programmed at ACE Hardware for $27.50. Works like a dream. Oh, and ACE took a total of 3 minutes to make me the spare !

kaustein
12-14-11, 10:08 AM
When the time came to unlock the door with the key, I found out that the lock was rusted inoperable.

----------

I dont think alarms matter much on these cars myself. If someone were to steal it, in a month it would be sitting back in your driveway will a bill attached...lol

EXACT SAME THOUGHT. That is why I stopped locking it. It's like locking your car so no one steal your stock radio.