: Crankshaft & Cam sensors questions

cvsting
01-08-08, 10:16 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding the crankshaft and Cam sensors for a 2000 Deville.

I have read many of the previous post on here about these.

I called a Cadillac service dept. and asked about the relearn when replacing the CRANK sensors. They told me the relearn will occur by just driving the vehicle after replacement. Are there any GM techs on here that can confirm this or is it absolutly necessary to perfrom the relearn with a tech 2 device?

Second question, how many CAM shaft sensors are there? I know there are two Crank shaft sensors.

Third questions, if the CAM shaft sensor is replaced is there a relearn on that sensor too ?

I have two codes, 340 & 385

Thanks !

Submariner409
01-09-08, 09:13 AM
There's 1 camshaft position sensor, in the front of the timing chain cover, at about 5 o'clock relative to the right bank exhaust cam gear. No relearn procedure in the FSM for '02. Code P0340 will set in conjunction with P0385/6 or P0335/6 if there has been an extended cranking start attempt or if the start was attempted with the shift lever not in P or N. Cam sensor failures are uncommon.

cvsting
01-09-08, 09:58 AM
Thank you Sub 409,

Now what about this relearn proceedure when the crankshaft position sensors are replaced - is it necessary to do this at a GM dealer or will just driving the car after you replace them do the learn on it's own ?

I am planing on replacing the sensors myself, but afraid too because of all the talk about having a tech 2 and doing the relearn process by a GM dealer.

Any help is appreciated.

2000 Cadillac Deville with a bad Crankshaft position sensor.

Thanks

Submariner409
01-09-08, 03:50 PM
Based on following 2 years of CKP posts in here and talking to a Cadillac tech at Fitzgerald Cadillac near here, if you replace the CKP's yourself the chances are 90/10 in your favor of not needing a relearn. Do the job, and if the car runs and/or idles roughly ("poor driveability"), consider spending the 1/2 hour labor fee that a dealer will charge (and whine about them not doing the CKP work) to get a proper Tech II relearn. IF one sensor is electronically "off" by a half degree or so, it should not make any difference.

cvsting
01-09-08, 05:34 PM
I plan on replacing both crankshaft sensors, I got the two new o-rings for the oil filter housing too. If I read your first post correct after I replace both of the crank sensors then I should not get any more camshaft sensor codes unless the camshaft sensor is bad too, right?

Thanks for all the help !

Submariner409
01-09-08, 09:14 PM
Roger that. BTW, the camshaft sensor is held in by that piece of angle steel and a bolt just under the front of the (right, rear) timing chain/cam cover. As I posted, they seldom give any problems.