: Hyundai Genesis - Official Pictures and Information

Lord Cadillac
01-08-08, 10:47 AM
Available with three engines including the automaker's familiar 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda V6 engines producing 264 HP/233 lb. ft. and 290 HP/264 lb. ft., respectively. The top-shelf motor will be Hyundai's first V8 in the U.S., the 4.6L Tau V8 that produces a healthy 368 HP and 324 lb. ft. of torque. The Tau V8 also gets paired with a ZF 6-speed automatic rather than the Aisin 6-speed autos that are mated to the V6 engines. The V8 also runs on good old fashioned 87 octane unleaded gas, something not all of its competition can claim. 0-60? Well under 6 seconds says Hyundai.

Read more... (http://www.automotivemessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=31338)

hueterm
01-08-08, 11:34 AM
I wonder how well those will lease out? I don't think I'd buy given Hyundai's questionable resale, but the car is NICE!

Lord Cadillac
01-08-08, 11:52 AM
When Hyundai said that horsepower would be "well over 300", they meant it. 368.. So when they say 0-60 will be "well under 6 seconds", I bet that means somewhere around 5.4 - which is Chrysler 300C / Infiniti G territory...

Lord Cadillac
01-08-08, 12:40 PM
I just read that horsepower is at 375 when using premium unleaded. 368 is regular unleaded.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-08, 01:30 PM
I think it's a great looking car, inside and out, and a true rival to the current offerings. The biggest design influence as I see it, is actually an Asian car...the current M series Infiniti. The only nit I have to pick with that car is that grille. UGLY!

gary88
01-08-08, 02:28 PM
It's nice, but still nothing really desirable to me.

77CDV
01-08-08, 05:57 PM
If Hyundai can produce this with the V8 for under $40K, they will be well on their way to out-Lexusing Lexus. The big question is, if Hyundai is willing to go forward with this, why won't Cadillac?

AMGoff
01-08-08, 09:56 PM
I see Lexus and BMW written all over it... Honestly, it's not too shabby... and God help me, but I actually, really like the interior.. I mean really... Especially the layout of the dash. And that says a lot because I normally hate most Asian interior layouts.

If I were to ever even consider getting into an Asian car I'd be hard pressed not to get one of these...

I feel really dirty now... I need to go take a shower.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-08, 10:09 PM
I feel really dirty now... I need to go take a shower.

Dirty or Dirrty?

DILLIGAF
01-08-08, 10:44 PM
Buttttttttttttttttt,,,,,,it's a Hyundai.

RightTurn
01-08-08, 11:29 PM
It's nice, but still nothing really desirable to me.

Buttttttttttttttttt,,,,,,it's a Hyundai.

:yeah: It's .... meh. Of course I'd have to see it in person. But it's still a Hyundai.

Florian
01-09-08, 10:41 PM
yawn.

F

N0DIH
01-10-08, 01:10 AM
You can always drive around looking like the unknown comic.....

LS1Mike
01-10-08, 02:37 AM
Very nice car from Hyundai, but like has been said, it is a Hyundai, I just don't know if America wants to shell out the cash for that.

Lord Cadillac
01-10-08, 11:17 AM
Very nice car from Hyundai, but like has been said, it is a Hyundai, I just don't know if America wants to shell out the cash for that.
What cash? It's $30k for the nearly 300 horsepower v6...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/dkrause0201/hyundai3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/dkrause0201/hyundai4.jpg

LS1Mike
01-10-08, 03:04 PM
No way would I pay 30K for a Hynudai.

RightTurn
01-10-08, 09:21 PM
And...it's fugly. :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-10-08, 09:35 PM
Note the lack of a crooked H anywhere on the car.

hueterm
01-10-08, 09:49 PM
i think that's on purpose...

dwight.j.carter
01-10-08, 09:52 PM
Hell that's a dam nice car it looks like they are trying to make a cheap luxury car with power.

AMGoff
01-11-08, 12:28 AM
Who would have ever thought anyone would pay $30.. 40... 50+ thousand on just some Toyota?

Despite the fact that it is... just a Hyundai, I'll have to agree with Sal on this one... it's still a potent, rear-drive, premium sedan.

There will be TONS of people who are going to buy this. Why? Because there are primarily two groups most people can be separated into... those who buy a badge and those who don't give two poops about a badge. That latter group will flock to both a car like this as well as their new rear-drive coupe.

sikohsix
01-11-08, 12:47 AM
Looking like that? They'll have a helluva lawsuit on their hands from MB.

N0DIH
01-11-08, 12:53 AM
I have noticed that pattern with Hyundai, they just copy the basic styles from someone else and spin it and sell it cheap.

RightTurn
01-11-08, 12:58 AM

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/01/asset_upload_file304_2555.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-08, 01:49 AM
Touche RT.....Touche.

Lord Cadillac
01-11-08, 11:52 AM

RT beat me too it on the Hyundai logo being at the rear...

Looking like that? They'll have a helluva lawsuit on their hands from MB.

No they won't...

hueterm
01-11-08, 10:47 PM
Last gen S-Class from the front and BMW 5 from the back...I still think its resale is going to plummet...

slingblade9
02-04-08, 12:36 AM
Nice commercials. 35k for the V8 version looks pretty damn good.
375Hp is insane for the price on this thing.

ETA: Korean cars are on the move. Remember when the Japanese cars were laughed at? Now they are considered the most reliable you can buy.
Hyundai is headed in the right direction.

Sinister Angel
02-04-08, 01:07 AM
Shit, I'd have a hard time hating on this car

slingblade9
02-04-08, 01:11 AM
Shit, I'd have a hard time hating on this car

I am too. I can't believe I actually kinda want one of these.
I feel so dirty.:D

Blackout
02-04-08, 01:13 AM
lol at the people who can only come up with "It's a Hyundai" well that Hyundai is damn near as powerful as a last gen CTS-V for a crap load less cash with comparable features plus a 10 year/100k warranty what could you not love? If everybody is worried about the resale value then wait a couple years and pick up a used one for less but who knows as to how much it's price will plummet

Blackout
02-04-08, 01:15 AM
lol at everyone hating on the car because "its a Hyundai". Well that Hyundai is more powerful then anything in Cadillac's lineup and just as powerful as the last CTS-V for a crap load less money and with comparable features and maybe even features that the CTS-V didn't come with. Plus it comes with a 10 year/ 100,000 warranty. What's not to love?! Hyundai has a winner on it's hands and I can't wait for the coupe to come out

molotovman5000
02-04-08, 04:58 AM
i would sport it......

Destroyer
02-04-08, 08:10 AM
The fact that so many Cadillac people like it says a lot. Hyundai has come a long way.:suspense:

CIWS
02-04-08, 10:12 AM
Would have to wait and see once pricing with options becomes public how much of a market competitor it will actually be.
If someone was concerned about it's depreciation then buy one that's a year or two old and let that hit already occur. I see plenty of the nicer Hyundais and KIAs driving around so someone is buying them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-08, 11:40 AM
Overall I'm impressed. But the exterior, especially the front end, leaves a lot to be desired.

Lord Cadillac
02-04-08, 11:45 AM
The front-end isn't 100% firm - mainly the grille..

Lord Cadillac
02-04-08, 01:53 PM
Nice commercials:
http://hyundai.allcarvideos.com/video/9N14XHTSojQ
http://hyundai.allcarvideos.com/video/nNmbfHa9LhU

AMGoff
02-04-08, 02:51 PM
Competition is a wonderful thing.

The luxury market has an inherent trend to move upward... upward in features, upward in power, upward in price. It's always a good thing when a new company comes in and shows that luxury doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

People dig cheap luxury... if they didn't Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti wouldn't be where there are today. And if we were to judge a carmakers new products solely by their past offerings, a company like Cadillac wouldn't even be here today.

A good car stands on it's on merits, not on the badge it wears.

dkozloski
02-04-08, 03:09 PM
It's hard for me to get beyond those memories of night soil in Korea.

N0DIH
02-04-08, 03:15 PM
I managed to get out of my Korea tour. Was only in US after Germany and the Desert Storm for maybe 1 year before I came down on orders for Korea...... Got out legally without a bar or negative action. All legit....

Camp Casey is where I would have got stuck..... Arty home....

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 04:37 PM
Hyundai will not have any trouble at all moving these cars, and if they do? Oh well, start over from scratch on something else... THAT'S the advantage of being FINANCIALLY SOLVENT.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-08, 05:08 PM
A customer brought in an '06 Sonata for an oil change/tire rotation this morning. I wrote it up and got to pull it up to the front of the lot when it was done. I was pretty impressed....the doors shut with a nice solid "whump" sound, and all of the interior panels fit very tightly, there were no gaps. Overall, a nice, competent looking car inside and out.

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 05:14 PM
A customer brought in an '06 Sonata for an oil change/tire rotation this morning. I wrote it up and got to pull it up to the front of the lot when it was done. I was pretty impressed....the doors shut with a nice solid "whump" sound, and all of the interior panels fit very tightly, there were no gaps. Overall, a nice, competent looking car inside and out.

interior was just revamped for 2009...

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0202/09.hyundai.sonata.2.500.jpg

Hello ES350...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-08, 05:22 PM
Hyundai is definitiely one of my favorite asian midstream manufacturers. Hyundai, Honda and Nissan.

Actually, come to think of it, they're one of my favorite midstream manufacturers period. Hyundai, Chevy, Honda.

Lord Cadillac
02-04-08, 05:27 PM
interior was just revamped for 2009...

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0202/09.hyundai.sonata.2.500.jpg

Hello ES350...
I love that interior.. The Sonata has come a long way. There are minor exterior updates to the 09 as well..

c5 rv
02-04-08, 08:10 PM

At least the South Koreans were on the same side as the U.S. in past conflicts.

One of my good friends worked for Oldsmobile many years ago and has always bought American. He's likely buying a Santa Fe for his wife.

I'd like to see what the Genesis looks like in person before I pass judgment.

gary88
02-04-08, 09:04 PM
I'll admit it's a nice car, but I couldn't live with staring at that H in the middle of the steering wheel. I'd rather have the 3 series.

Hyundai can't just jump in head-first into this market segment and expect to be respected and envied by all, at least in my opinion. They need to prove themselves over time, and this looks like the possible beginning of that.

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 09:40 PM
I'll admit it's a nice car, but I couldn't live with staring at that H in the middle of the steering wheel. I'd rather have the 3 series.

Hyundai can't just jump in head-first into this market segment and expect to be respected and envied by all, at least in my opinion. They need to prove themselves over time, and this looks like the possible beginning of that.

Yea, but thats exactly what they're doing. Taking lessons from, and in an effort to AVOID the fiasco that happened with the ill-fated Phaeton, they are rolling out their upscale program in PHASES.

The Hyundai XG350 and its sister car the Kia Amanti were the first phase (though it can be argued that the Sonata moved up in quality and amenities rapidly during the mid-90's as well), and it was their relative success that in-turn provided the business justification to proceed, carefully, with the Genesis program. The Genesis in-turn will determine whether it's feasible to move up to the next and final step which will be a full fledged luxury brand for Hyundai. There's also a larger 7 passenger SUV coming soon (just as VW did with the Touareg) that will test the response to a possible luxury SUV in the future.

Ironically enough, as the economy slows down and worsens, the luxury and upscale vehicle market is MORE lucrative and important now than ever. The people who are BUYING new cars are primarily UPSCALE market buyers. Hyundai wants their piece of this lucrative market.

However, they did not get where they are today by making a series of mis-steps. They learn and adapt quickly... MUCH more quickly than their Japanese counterparts.

oshguy
02-04-08, 10:57 PM
As much as I dislike the idea of buying anything non-American, I really like the Genesis. I had the opportunity to drive a relative's Hyundai Azera Limited (totally loaded with options) on a two day trip recently, covering about 600 miles. I was extremely impressed with every aspect of the car, from fit and finish to power, handling, comfort, quietness, sound system...... you name it, it excelled. Now, I must admit that I still prefer my DeVille, but not by much. If the Genesis is even slightly better in any or all of these areas than the Azera, then my Cadillac's days could be numbered! The Azera cost under $30,000 new last summer, and the Genesis will be a bit more, but not nearly as much as a new Cadillac. I'm looking forward to taking a Genesis for a test drive when it's available - and really hoping I don't like it so I won't have to buy a new car just yet! LOL

Playdrv4me
02-05-08, 12:23 AM
As much as I dislike the idea of buying anything non-American, I really like the Genesis. I had the opportunity to drive a relative's Hyundai Azera Limited (totally loaded with options) on a two day trip recently, covering about 600 miles. I was extremely impressed with every aspect of the car, from fit and finish to power, handling, comfort, quietness, sound system...... you name it, it excelled. Now, I must admit that I still prefer my DeVille, but not by much. If the Genesis is even slightly better in any or all of these areas than the Azera, then my Cadillac's days could be numbered! The Azera cost under $30,000 new last summer, and the Genesis will be a bit more, but not nearly as much as a new Cadillac. I'm looking forward to taking a Genesis for a test drive when it's available - and really hoping I don't like it so I won't have to buy a new car just yet! LOL

I absolutely forgot about the Azera, but there you go, that was yet another step in their carefully crafted plan to move upscale, between the XG350/Amanti and the Genesis. So depending on what happens with the Genesis, I'd say they're fully prepared to move on to the next level.

Lord Cadillac
02-05-08, 12:43 AM
Keep in mind that Kia will get an even less expensive version of the Genesis. If you actually DRIVE a Kia Amanti, you'll see that it's not all that different from the experience a Lincoln Town Car or old Cadillac Fleetwood gave.. Sure, it may not appeal to your taste visually - but it does what it's supposed to do Very well. I can only imagine that a Kia Genesis will also be very impressive - but likely be more appealing than the Amanti.