: New Car Help

DILLIGAF
01-08-08, 07:50 AM
My moms looking for a different suv,wants to spend under 45,000 and will be trading her other 2 cars so we will be buying from a dealer.Needs to be mid sized,since i'm involved rice needs to be avoided at all costs(for now).

M-class?
Cayenne?
Doesn't like the caddy,MKX is a maybe.

Any thoughts from the experts?

hueterm
01-08-08, 08:57 AM
Enclave? Touareg (sp?)? X5?

I'd rather have a decked Enclave or Touareg (sp?) than a stripped X5, ML or Cayenne.

HushH
01-08-08, 09:00 AM
The Buick Enclave is a really nice SUV. She should definitely take a look at that one.

urbanski
01-08-08, 09:07 AM
oh my enclave :drool:

P-Funk
01-08-08, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer SS? And yes, the Enclave is nice.

Rolex
01-08-08, 12:20 PM
I know where she can get a low mileage loaded out Honda Ridgeline. :hide: ;)

My wife loves her Acura MDX. It's worth a look.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-08, 12:52 PM
New or used?

Sounds like your mom likes the crossovers more than the full sized SUV's, otherwise I'd throw out Yukon/Tahoe.

If it were me, I'd try and find a nice used Cayenne Turbo for 45k. But, not everyone wants to deal with the repair/upkeep of one of those beasts, so otherwise, I'd look at a Enclave, even though it's a bit underpowered. I also like the Touareg, but VW's are a reliability nightmare.

DILLIGAF
01-08-08, 06:19 PM
The Enclave looks like the shit!I found her one 5 miles from her house fully loaded,all she needs to do is go drive it.Lots of goodies for the money!She is driving a Mitsu Montero at the moment and a Audi A4 quatro,Both are ok cars but I wouldn't of bought either one of them.

CIWS
01-08-08, 07:00 PM
The Buick (I'm aware of your comments) or the Acura MDX.

andrew99eldorado
01-09-08, 09:52 AM
infiniti FX45.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=231807347&dealer_id=578594&car_year=2006&model=RANGESPORT&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=ROV&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48098&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=48000&cardist=1989
or here is a range rover sport for right around your asking price if you dont mind a couple miles on it. (12,000)

DILLIGAF
01-09-08, 07:55 PM
Ok guys the Buick might be it!

Anybody have any guesses how much can be moved off the sticker,fully loaded at 44,900

AMGoff
01-09-08, 08:48 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the Buick wins hands down... it is by far the most stylish crossover on the market these days. Beyond that, compared to some of the other possibilities like the VW and the Porsche... the Buick with totally trounce on them in terms of reliability, as they are one of the most reliable brands on the road today.

As far as getting the dealer to budge... from everything I've read, dealers are have no problem moving them off their lots, so I doubt there's all that much thrown on the hood of one of these things. With that said... every dealer wants to make a sale, so shop around and find the best price, then go back to the one you want to deal with and see if they'll beat it.

By the looks of that asking price I'm assuming that this Enclave in question is fully optioned-out? If that is the case you might be able to get them to "throw in" a couple of the options in order to knock the price down a couple grand.

Either way... I think she's making THE best choice in that particular market segment. Has she gone down and driven it yet? How does she like it?

DILLIGAF
01-09-08, 09:16 PM
Test drove it and loved it!Quietest car she's ever ridden in.She doesn't like the rear bucket seats,and would prefer the split bench,mainly because her springer always rides(great dog).She doesn't like the grill?Don't know if it would look better painted or not,I think she would get used to the look.Those things have shitloads of chrome everywhere(old school).Overall,she's pretty jazzed about the ride in general.Although she's contemplating keeping her car and just trading suv's.That tells me she's sold

flyinlow
01-13-08, 04:23 PM
The VW turbo deisel is a great choice

Sandy
01-13-08, 07:41 PM
Isuzu Ascender 4x4. Dealer Discount $2,000 Factory to retail buyer = $5,000 rebate = $7,000 off MSRLP, you are buying it UNDER dealer cost. It's actually a Chevrolet Trailblazier 4x4. It's made in America, alongside of Chevys and GMCs. It carrys a 1 year & 12,000 mile LONGER factory warrantee than the Chevy or GMC, too !! It's a win-win situation. GM owns Isuzu here, in America. All products are rebadged Chevrolets or GMCs with double dip helpings of rebates & discounts. Isuzu.com has a place to go to find your closest dealer using your ZIP code.

Destroyer
01-13-08, 08:13 PM
I'm going to second the FX45. I personally dont like crossover SUV's but I really like the styling of the FX45. The Enclave is nice but I would never pay $45k for a Buick. In 5 years time it'll be worth about $5k much like the last Rivieras and so forth. A good friend of mine has an '03 Buick Rendevouz and its the biggest POS I have witnessed (ugly too). With just a little over 70k miles, he is at the shop almost every week with some big $$$ repair or another. He paid over $30k for it and he will get maybe $6k or so. He wont be buying another Buick anytime soon. Sandy is right on about the Ascender but if mom is looking at Mercedes, Bimmers and so forth it may not be high end enough?.

AMGoff
01-13-08, 08:23 PM
Isuzu Ascender 4x4. Dealer Discount $2,000 Factory to retail buyer = $5,000 rebate = $7,000 off MSRLP, you are buying it UNDER dealer cost. It's actually a Chevrolet Trailblazier 4x4. It's made in America, alongside of Chevys and GMCs. It carrys a 1 year & 12,000 mile LONGER factory warrantee than the Chevy or GMC, too !! It's a win-win situation. GM owns Isuzu here, in America. All products are rebadged Chevrolets or GMCs with double dip helpings of rebates & discounts. Isuzu.com has a place to go to find your closest dealer using your ZIP code.

Just a few points of clarification... GM did at one time own as much as 49% of Isuzu, but the General sold off the last of its stake in 2006. While at that time the two companies claimed they would continue their long standing partnership, it's very likely that the Ascender will be the end of the road, especially since Toyota has begun to acquire stake in the company. It's already taking shape as they've already discontinued the extended 7-passenger version as well as discontinued the V8 option. Come time for the current 'Blazer/Envoy to be replaced, I'd be sincerely shocked if there came a new Ascender.

Anyway.. while they may be the same vehicle and they may come with a slightly better warranty, there's a BIG reason as to why anyone would be better off buying either the Chevy or GMC flavor... and that's resale value. As bad as the resale value is on mainstream GM vehicles, the Isuzu's is downright pathetic. Any money saved on the initial transaction will be lost and then some when you go to sell it. Beyond that, I just read recently that the Ascender is one of the worst selling vehicles in America.

So the only possible reason I could see someone buying one is if they wanted a used Trailblazer or Envoy and wanted to save a butt-load of money. Even then, I think I'd still go for a used Bravada.

AMGoff
01-13-08, 08:25 PM
BTW - I meant to ask, how are you feeling Sandy? You've most definitely been in the wife's and my prayers. I see you're posting a bit more, so I hope that means things are going well!

DILLIGAF
01-13-08, 08:29 PM
Well the Buick is out for several reasons(slimy condecending salesperson for one)low trade in values for her trades.Shes back looking at X 5's now.I have no clue wheres she's headed now.She buys more out of passion than practicality.She's just going to have to see something and buy it.

AMGoff
01-13-08, 08:45 PM
Well the Buick is out for several reasons(slimy condecending salesperson for one)low trade in values for her trades.Shes back looking at X 5's now.I have no clue wheres she's headed now.She buys more out of passion than practicality.She's just going to have to see something and buy it.

That's a really big shame... I know I wouldn't count out a great vehicle simply because of the salesperson... I'd just go to another dealership. The same kind of goes for the trade in value... I can't see how another dealer is going to give her that much more for it. Honestly, is she expecting a little too much of it? The only way she's going to get the amount she wants is by selling it outright.

Either way... the Enclave is a fantastic ride... it looks great and offers one of the best values in that segment. Hopefully.. she'll change her mind and just go to another dealer... like I said, that's an awfully silly reason to change one's mind about a vehicle.

DILLIGAF
01-13-08, 08:52 PM
That's a really big shame... I know I wouldn't count out a great vehicle simply because of the salesperson... I'd just go to another dealership. The same kind of goes for the trade in value... I can't see how another dealer is going to give her that much more for it. Honestly, is she expecting a little too much of it? The only way she's going to get the amount she wants is by selling it outright.

Either way... the Enclave is a fantastic ride... it looks great and offers one of the best values in that segment. Hopefully.. she'll change her mind and just go to another dealer... like I said, that's an awfully silly reason to change one's mind about a vehicle.
I agree with all!Both her rides are still like new with low low low miles.Both can be had for cheap on ebay.She is expecting waaaaayyyyy to much for trade.

Sandy
01-13-08, 11:06 PM
I'm feeling a little better, thank you. But very bored, thusly alot of time on the 'web.

I was under the impression that $$$$ was a big factor herein, so thusly the Ascender.

Hard...very hard....for me to reccomend SUVs. I just don't like them,other than a Jeep product.

Hey, take Mom to see the Jeep line. The invented 4-wheel drive. We LOVE ours ~~

2001 Cherokee Limited 46,000 miles - still awaiting "Problem # 1) Fabulous vehicles !

Gran Cherokee, Liberty, Patriot..... can't go wrong with a Jeep, sky high resale, too.

Here' ours:- http://images2.fotki.com/v14/photos/4/43979/179078/jeep-vi.jpg

ryannel2003
01-13-08, 11:32 PM
I don't if you considered the GMC Acadia, but it's pretty much the same vehicle as the Enclave without all the bells and whistles (and mainly that big sticker shock). At my dealer, Acadia's have been slow movers so they have been sticking some nice rebates to get them out of there. We sold a fully loaded Acadia for about $3k below sticker the other day.

I also agree that the FX35/45 is a nice car. My friend just got one and it's a good driving vehicle. Watch out for the earlier ones though, they had a harsher ride. I would recommend the... gulp... RX350 but they are quite expensive used. They hold their value TOO well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-08, 11:40 PM
You work at a dealer too? What do you do? Parts? Sales? Service?

ryannel2003
01-13-08, 11:53 PM
You work at a dealer too? What do you do? Parts? Sales? Service?

No, no I'm the lonely boy in the back who details all the cars. People really amaze me. Driving $60k Cadillac's that smell like a litter box... its horrible. But I love my job, and I always get to drive the cars. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-08, 11:58 PM
Touche. Service Advisor here, started as a night cashier, then I worked as a Service Runner. Almost got hired for detail though, sometimes I wish I did though....no customers to deal with, atleast not directly.